Latest Posts

Topic: A way to get rid of trees?

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-08-28, 19:30

Trees grow very slowly on mountains. Lumberjacks only cut grown trees.

This makes trees on mountains very annoying. Recently, I played a game, where there was no marble near my starting position as empire player. When I finally had conquered a marble mountain, I found that trees had been planted there. They grew very, very slowly, and I couldn't cut them down until they were fully grown.

I wonder if there should be a way to get rid of small trees.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-29, 01:56

It could theoretically be programmed like this:

1. Give the small trees an attribute
  2. Create a building that will cut down the trees with that attribute but will create no wares

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-29, 05:10

no, in the game as it is currently, there is no way to get rid of juvenile trees

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-29, 17:19

A dedicated building for this would confuse new players. They'd build it and wonder why they get no logs even though the woodcutter can be seen cutting them.

What I also find very annoying: Often I would like my woodcutter to cut a specific tree to make place for a building or road, but it takes ages until that particular one gets cut.

A way to tell a woodcutter to cut down a particular tree (click on the tree and have a button "mark immovable for removal by a worker") would be nice. This could be combined with a way to also tell him to cut specific young trees (which get a special attribute → need a worker program that is called only when the user demands it). The worker's findobject program would then prefer suitable immovables that have been marked for removal like this. This could also be used to let stonecutters cut a specific rock, and farmers a certain field. Not sure if the gain justifies the additional UI complexity and coding effort though.

Edited: 2020-08-29, 17:21

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 08:34

Nordfriese wrote:

A way to tell a woodcutter to cut down a particular tree (click on the tree and have a button "mark immovable for removal by a worker") would be nice.

As far i remember Settlers had an option to adjust the working area to a specific location, say move it to the south of a woodcutter. Not sure anymore but i think the worker had tried to work from the workarea center to the workarea border then.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tribal-Chief
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 08:57

I see nothing wrong with having a new ware, slender trunk perhaps, used for some small number of productions like some tools or weapons where a slender trunk would be a better choice than a log. Perhaps also as a building component. Existing wood cutters could be used to cut young trees on demand from production sites, stock levels initially set to 0 so log production is favoured at startup. Saplings in the first phase of growth would not be removed until they grow bigger. I think all of this could be handled without code changes, just lua edits and a graphic for slender trunk.

+1 at least for the ability focus work areas on part of the work area or marking specific items for harvest.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 09:14

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4184

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 10:27

Keep in mind that some maps use trees and stones deliberately to slow down expansion. We should be careful to not give player too much control. Though I'm not sure how much is too much exactly.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 10:45

kaputtnik wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

A way to tell a woodcutter to cut down a particular tree (click on the tree and have a button "mark immovable for removal by a worker") would be nice.

As far i remember Settlers had an option to adjust the working area to a specific location, say move it to the south of a woodcutter. Not sure anymore but i think the worker had tried to work from the workarea center to the workarea border then.

You remember correctly.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-30, 17:29

kaputtnik wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

+1 for a movable workarea like in settlers 3 (not sure whether it was already in s2)

Top Quote