Latest Posts

Topic: Leagues of Widelands?

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 22:20

(Edit: Announcement, rules and results: https://www.widelands.org/forum/post/34531/ )

I could imagine to organize some leagues of Widelands and/or further tournaments.

Would something like this be interesting?

The league could look like very similar to the current tournament.

Some further possibilities:

• Every team plays not only once against each other, but twice

• Every team could chose a "home map" where it plays a considerable number of their matches (for example every second match / every "home match") Not only the maps could be chosen, but also win conditions and if the teams play in the shared kingdom mode or not.

• It doesn't have to be a team event, it can also be a 1vs1 event again. What would you prefer?

• The event doesn't have to occur once, it could have also "sequels"

• there could be not only a first league, but also a second league which could be reserved for rather unexperienced players only. At the end, the first of the second league changes into the first league and the last of the first league relegates into the second league.

• there could be a rule which prevents teams from playing too late, which avoids long breaks of the tournament

• late joining of teams could be possible, after the event has started.

• Edit: Primary version should be build21, but i could imagine to have an development amazons version as secondary version (can be played if both teams agree on it)

Suggestions?

Edit:

Maps of the map pool (first league):

(new rule: Territorial win conditions are not allowed anymore because of a regression bug which makes them broken)

Map Home team Away team Win conditions shared kingdom allowed
Ice Wars Blue Red Black Ochre all yes
Wisent valley Blue Green Red yellow all except peaceful and artifacts yes
Full Moon West East All Yes
The Nile Red Green Blue Yellow all yes
Cycles (8 Players) all periodical all periodical all yes
Swamp Monks east west all except artifacts yes
The great Escape red yellow green black all except peaceful yes
Four Castles blue red green yellow all except artifacts yes
The Big Lake north south all except artifacts yes
E(l)ven Forests 2 * not green including green all except artifacts yes
Water Volcano blue yellow red green all except artifacts yes
* not to be confused with the Elven Forests. This map can be found in the upload section.

Additional maps for the second league

Map Home team Away team Win conditions shared kingdom allowed
Desert Tournament east west all except artifacts&peaceful yes
Elven Forests not green including green all except artifacts yes
Rendez-Vouz blue yellow red green all except artifacts&peaceful yes
Hexagon island east est all except artifacts&peaceful yes
Edited: 2020-09-24, 19:00

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 22:41

I like it, maybe we can also do it in economy (with peaceful mode). Like the idea of a second league where its sure that in the first league its hard challenging every match

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 22:43

the-x wrote:

I like it, maybe we can also do it in economy (with peaceful mode). Like the idea of a second league where its sure that in the first league its hard challenging every match

Well, the home team could maybe chose peaceful mode and play modes like collectors then, that would be possible indeed

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-07-30, 07:55

WorldSavior wrote:

I could imagine to organize some leagues of Widelands and/or further tournaments.

Would something like this be interesting?

The league could look like very similar to the current tournament.

Some further possibilities:

• Every team plays not only once against each other, but twice

• Every team could chose a "home map" where it plays a considerable number of their matches (for example every second match / every "home match") Not only the maps could be chosen, but also win conditions and if the teams play in the shared kingdom mode or not.

• It doesn't have to be a team event, it can also be a 1vs1 event again. What would you prefer?

• The event doesn't have to occur once, it could have also "sequels"

• there could be not only a first league, but also a second league which could be reserved for rather unexperienced players only. At the end, the first of the second league changes into the first league and the last of the first league relegates into the second league.

• there could be a rule which prevents teams from playing too late, which avoids long breaks of the tournament

• late joining of teams could be possible, after the event has started.

Suggestions?

I love that idea.

The hardest part will be coordinating the time to play often, but that's not a real problem. Also, are there enough active and interested players?

Suggestion: Launch a poll somewhere or announce it on social networks... Personally, I can announce the event in french on Mastodon and Diaspora

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-01, 18:55

ektor wrote:

I love that idea.

The hardest part will be coordinating the time to play often, but that's not a real problem. Also, are there enough active and interested players?

Minimal number of teams per League would be 2, as it's possible to chose several "home maps" ; )

Personally, I can announce the event in french on Mastodon and Diaspora

+1 as soon as we have more details (like date and so on)

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-03, 22:38

I think that it shall be a 2vs2 event - or are other formats desired?

The starting date could be soonish after the current tournament ends.

I've now collected already some maps for the map pool (see first post of this thread). You can also propose maps (chances that they are accepted for at least the second league are not bad) or say something against maps, if you consider them to be not fitting.

A problem could be to play over and over on the home map again. Would anyone bother about that?

Peaceful mode can also be possible, but not on all maps because small maps would be boring with it.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-07, 00:07

Is there already anybody who would like to team up in the first league with me? You can send me a PM.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-13, 21:49

So now it's starting! Hereby I'm announcing the Leagues of Widelands.

Main differences to the previous tournament?

• there is not only one tournament, but two (first and second league) - if there are enough players. Even more leagues could be possible.

• the teams play (at least) two times against each other team. Each team declares a "home map" out of the league map pool where it plays against each other team. Not only the map is determined at the beginning, but also the win condition, and if the peaceful mode will be played or not.

• it starts now, and teams can join until 2020-10-4 or until 6 teams participate (for each league)

• minimum number of teams per league can be 2

• normally every team should play twice against each other team, but in case the number of teams will be low, the number of home maps per team can be increased.

• The "Shared Kingdom" feature can be possible: If the feature is allowed on a pool map, the home team has to say if it is permitted it or not. If it's permitted, both teams can chose individually if they play with shared kingdom or not - right before the match.

• The map pools: https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4913/?page=1#post-34037

• the version for the leagues is build 21

• the secundary version is amazon 7461. this means that this version can be played alternatively, but only if all 4 players agree. it can be found and downloaded via this link: https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4847/?page=11#post-33531

Additional Rules

SHORTENED VERSION (see the full version for more details)

the pairings should be organized by the teams in own responsibility, but if teams play too few matches per time (for example less than 1 match every 2 weeks), some matches might be declared some time, so keep an eye on the forum. once the turns are declared, contact your opponents and set up your game. after the game, notify the result to me and upload the replay in the correct forum thread (the losing team doesn't have to do that).

If a match has to be determinated in order to speed the tournament up:

there will be one week to play normally, and one week overtime. People are expected to play in the first week. Going overtime is penalized, except in a few specific cases, most notably if you start a game without finishing it, or if you announced in advance you would be missing for a few days. after two weeks, games not played will be assigned by forfait as a loss to both teams, except for a few cases. Games started but still ongoing will be assigned by a judge, generally as draw unless there are good reasons not to. In no case a game will be allowed to continue after two weeks.

I, WorldSavior, will be the arbiter for all disputations. However, in the interest of having a judge who is not a player and therefore potentially biased, some experienced player might be appointed the supreme arbiter. If you think my judgment was unfair, you can appeal to him, but you have then to accept his decision.

FULL VERSION

0) basics

Playing which tribe? Choice is free.

Games are hosted by one of the players or another person.

After every game, all players who didn't lose send a message to WorldSavior with
    I won! / I lost
    Someone of the winners (or of both teams, if draw) post the replay in the replay thread.

1) pairings and ranking.

Who wins gets two points, draws (can happen by agreement between the players, or by either players failing to win after a long time - for example if an unconquorable island makes winning impossible) are awarded one point.  Nobody will be eliminated.

There will be up to 10 turns, depending on the number of teams

The final ranking will obviously be given according to the score. If two teams have the same score, they will be ranked according to how their direct games ended. Otherwise, the tie will not be resolved, except for deciding first team of the league and the last - by a bonus match, see below.

After the last round, if one team leads the ranking alone, it will be the winning team. If there are several ex-aequo winners, then they will play a bonus match: Peaceful collectors on Big Eden, shared kingdom allowed. If that also ends without a clear winner (which is extremely improbable), then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. If there is a tie there too, then the involved players will be declared winners ex-aequo.

2) time schedule

If a match is scheduled by me and the two teams fail to play within one week, then they will be penalized by a "penalty". If they accumulate 3 such penalties, it will instead be commuted to 1 point in the score. If they still have not played after two weeks, the game will be assigned as lost to both of them. A few exceptions below:

if it can be demonstrated that the delay was clearly the fault of one team (for example, if one team failed to be there at the appointed time of the game, or if one was only available for very narrow time windows while the other was much more available) then only the team at fault will be penalized. After two weeks, the game will be won by forfait by the team declared not at fault. Of course, if you failed to play and think it was not your fault - or not only your fault - you should send me some kind of proof that your opponents set an unreasonable schedule. Copy of mailed messages is the preferred method.

if two teams did play for some time but had to interrupt the game and continue from a reload at a later date, they will not be penalized for taking more than one week. At the end of two weeks, if they produced at least 6 hours of in-game gameplay (taking into account game speed; they can get away with only playing 2 hours if they used 3x speed for example) and they sent the replays to me and still there is no victor, then the game will be considered draw unless one team has a clear advantage.

If one player will notify in advance that he will have problems playing one week, he will not be penalized for going overtime; but please don't do it too often. If he still can't play after the two-weeks deadline, he will be declared loser by forfait, but will not face any more penalties.

3) arbitral decisions

Since I, WorldSavior, cannot be considered an impartial arbiter for the first league, since I will also be a player, someone else, an experienced player who will not be participating this time, might be the final arbiter for deciding which players should be penalized for tardiness and how to assign unfinished games. The arbiter is still to be declared. Though I will make the first decision in any game, anyone can appeal to him if he believes my decision is unfair. (First league only)

It was rarely necessary to appear to the final arbiter, though. This has most of the time been a clean and sportsmanlike community. Let's try to be like that.

4) lack of communication

If one consistently fails to answer communications (i.e. never answering, or never discussing game schedule; missing one message is acceptable) for more than three weeks, he's considered retired from the tournament.

5) bug/glitch abuse

Abusing of bugs and glitches will be forbidden, on penalty of losing the game by forfait. However, a specific action has to be declared as bug abuse in advance, so you will not be penalized until I step in and forbid the practice.

Known practices that are considered glitch abuse:
  • completing an amazonian ship (because it lets the game crash irreparably in the amazon version).

• pushing game speed over 3.0x while two players don't want that.

6) more rules

• starting conditions: always headquarters

• in this first season of the league, experienced players should start in the first league and the second league should be reserved for unexperienced players. I might decide arbitrarily who plays where, but if there will be another season, first league players can normally not change into the second league and new first league teams need to have normally at least one first league player from the last season.

• the first team of the second league will count as first league team (it can change into the first league) and the last team of the first legaue changes into the second league.

7) further rules for special cases

• if you cannot agree with your teammate about home map or similar stuff, the player on the left in the table below choses the home map and the other player choses win condition, status of peaceful mode and shared kingdom, player colors and who hosts the game.

• If you don't agree on a teamname (or if you don't post one) I will suggest one.

Which team is allowed to host the game? If there is no agreement, the home team hosts.

Playing which tribe? Which teammate takes which position? Choice is free. If both teams want to see what the other picks first, there is the following order:

1. The home team decides its positions first.
  2. The other team has to do the tribe choices then first, and also the shared kingdom decision.

new rule: A player who quits the game must never be replaced by an AI which is not "No AI". new rule: Surrendering and draw offers (making and accepting) can only be done if there is consenus in the team.

teams of the first League

name player player home map home win condition shared kingdom allowed? peaceful mode? home team start away team start
MarsSaviors Mars WorldSavior Full Moon autocrat yes no blue green red yellow
_Elefantenrennen Wisent Valley (?) collectors yes no blue green red yellow
niEKTORy ektor niektory t.b.a. ...
N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A

results of the first League

(1 is victory for team on the left, -1 for team on top, 0 for draw. home team is on the left)

- MarsSaviors t.b.a. niEKTORy
MarsSaviors N\A
t.b.a. N\A
niEKTORy N\A
N\A
N\A
N\A

ranking of the first league

rank name games played wins draws losses penalties
N\A
N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A

teams of the second League

name player player home map home win condition shared kingdom allowed? peaceful mode?
N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A

results of the second League

(1 is victory for team on the left, -1 for team on top, 0 for draw. home team is on the left)

-
N\A
N\A
N\A
N\A
N\A
N\A

ranking of the second league

rank name games played wins draws losses penalties
N\A
N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A
N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A

Many thanks to king_of_nowhere for allowing me to use his tournament rule set.

who wants can post preferred playing times to make it easier to find time for the matches.

possible playing times (all times are central european summer time) of players:

• worldsavior: sunday 14-24, saturday 14-19, most mondays and tuesdays 20-23
  • Mars: Evenings
  • _Elefantenrennen:
Monday: 1 pm-6 pm and 7 pm-8 pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 3 pm-6 pm and 7 pm-8 pm
i can't play Wednesday
Friday: 1 pm-10 pm
Saturday: 1 pm- 6 pm and 7 pm-10 pm
Sunday: 1 pm- 6 pm and 7 pm- 8 pm
  • niektory: evenings on weekdays are the best. I tend to be less available on weekends

So, as you can see, Mars and me are a team, the MarsSaviors. We plan to announce our home match map soon.

Suggestions to improving the leagues are welcome! When I organized the tempo training tournament, the other participants had some good ideas, this could also be the case here.

Edited: 2020-09-24, 21:30

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 08:55

I create a little infography in english and in french:

First in french:

Ligue Widelands 2020

Edited: 2020-09-14, 08:56

Attachment: