Latest Posts

Topic: Bugs between b21 and b22

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-27, 21:23

So, here a new tread for more bug reports.

• I'd say that it's a bug that one cannot mute messages, like "mute all no-gold-messages". For example if one plays a no metal challenge, those messages disturb all the time and distract from important messages.

• A small bug: The AI can still launch attacks after being defeated, while players in multiplayer cannot do that.

• If you play collectors, you don't see at the very beginning what the game is about and how you get points. This is a regression bug. A popup-message would not be very necessary, but at least a message would be good.

• The sound when you place a building should not be an "ambient sound", but a "user interface sound".

• Ambient sounds can be very annoying: Too much bird sounds, crickets, other certain animals...

• "Recruit" units spoil the general statistics (worker tab). As they consume memory space maybe they should just be replaced by carriers? And maybe soldiers shouldn't count as "workers" neither?

I think that I've seen much more bugs, but it's hard to remember them all...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-27, 21:29

WorldSavior wrote:

Ooooh no, and we spent so much work on this build to make it good face-wink.png
Honestly I see over 400 of them on Github, But keep on reporting.

Reagrding the AI Attacking when defeated this is a low hanging fruit as we just need to assign an empty AI if an AI Player is defeated.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 01:21

But World, which kind of messages are shown is personal preference and not a bug.

The only real bug we need to solve to make this game multiplayer fair fit is a fair Balance between Economy and Hero.

Why? Because it puts 0 effect how you build your economy or whatever you do to optimize if later the one attack with the hero and too big healing is the factor that decides almost 100% of the outcome. If you like you can put the replays showing this.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 01:29

One of many Ideas: Randomize who attacks, so that not an only hero can move straight to a building and defeat all lvl0.

• different stages

aiming at more different unit types

• dfferent upgrades

• much more experience for a smithy for every stage of the game

• rare ressources, gold

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 01:30

The Idea with randomizing means a lot more realistic gameplay. You as well as your oppoent do not know which unit will attack, a bit like the old battlefield, where the average or the median of the army strengh decides

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 06:37

the-x, please do not post ideas in this thread. This wastes a lot of developer time when we are managing and fixing bugs. It's already time consuming enough to align/cross-link the forum threads with the GitHub issues, and unrelated posts in bug reporting threads make this more difficult for us. Balancing discussion should also go into a separate topic. Thank you face-smile.png

Edited: 2020-07-28, 07:05

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 07:04

WorldSavior wrote:

• I'd say that it's a bug that one cannot mute messages, like "mute all no-gold-messages". For example if one plays a no metal challenge, those messages disturb all the time and distract from important messages.

Already known: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3639

• A small bug: The AI can still launch attacks after being defeated, while players in multiplayer cannot do that.

Reagrding the AI Attacking when defeated this is a low hanging fruit as we just need to assign an empty AI if an AI Player is defeated.

Same as https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/1037 then

• If you play collectors, you don't see at the very beginning what the game is about and how you get points. This is a regression bug. A popup-message would not be very necessary, but at least a message would be good.

+1 - we should have an initial status message for all win conditions

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4024

• The sound when you place a building should not be an "ambient sound", but a "user interface sound".

This means that you will no longer hear your ally placing buildings on the map. Is this what we want? If we do, branch is ready https://github.com/gunchleoc/widelands/tree/constructionsite-ui-sound

• Ambient sounds can be very annoying: Too much bird sounds, crickets, other certain animals...

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3417 first and then we can reduce their probability

• "Recruit" units spoil the general statistics (worker tab). As they consume memory space maybe they should just be replaced by carriers? And maybe soldiers shouldn't count as "workers" neither?

I must admit that I do like the eye candy. Maybe we could remove all worker types without cost there - this would make a few more units types disappear from the stats though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 19:46

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

This means that you will no longer hear your ally placing buildings on the map. Is this what we want? If we do, branch is ready https://github.com/gunchleoc/widelands/tree/constructionsite-ui-sound

Does that mean that you have turned the interface sounds off? Ambient sounds bother me partly so I turned them off, but interface sounds don't bother me and I didn't deactivate them

I must admit that I do like the eye candy. Maybe we could remove all worker types without cost there - this would make a few more units types disappear from the stats though.

Maybe not all workers without costs - for example millers, brewers and coal burners fit well into the statistics.

Recruits (and maybe soldiers) should just be further exceptions like carriers are

Edited: 2020-07-28, 19:47

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 20:37

Millers, charcoal burners and the like are technically not costless – they cost one carrier. Only carriers and recruits are truly costless. +1 for omitting these from the statistics.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 22:17

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Ooooh no, and we spent so much work on this build to make it good face-wink.png

It's better than good ; )

The idea is to make it even better

the-x wrote:

• rare ressources, gold

This is already implemented, because you can create maps like you want them!

This allows you also to play matches were heroes aren't such a thing: Just play on maps without any gold (or at least almost)?

Top Quote