Latest Posts

Topic: Soldier overview

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-27, 19:03

First of all, this is a very impressive first attempt. Some minor nits (although some have already been mentioned):
- Please consider renaming "by level" to "by attribute" or something similar.
- I would suggest to have the numbers in the "by level/attribute" tab below the icons as well. We could skip the little "x" in this case as well, and it would feel consistent to the "overview". By this we would gain the space to write attributes in the first column of each row
- will the "overview" window fit in the 800x600 resolution if amazons need to be displayed. If not, would it m ake sense to skip unused combinations (i.e. these with a zero or dash)

Anyhow this would add some valuable information to the game, Thanks Nordfriese.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-27, 19:24

I have added the tooltips and changed the tab label.

Nice feature! I wonder what happens to the display when there are hundreds, thousands or even tenthousands of soldiers of one category.

The font should first get a bit smaller to accommodate the long strings, but very very very long numbers might cut off. Making more room for the texts would break the layout.

It looks like "Overview" is the default tab, which would be good.

It is

One further idea: would it be possible to add this graphic/window also to the headquarter and warehouses? I always find it a bit annoying to not know what kind of soldiers are in them...

Would be very nice to have such an inventory tab there as well, but not in this branch. But I could try to pull out some common code to reuse in warehouse windows (best in a follow-up branch).

• Please consider renaming "by level" to "by attribute" or something similar.

Done

• will the "overview" window fit in the 800x600 resolution if amazons need to be displayed. If not, would it make sense to skip unused combinations (i.e. these with a zero or dash)

Hard to test since these are two separate branches but it should. The width and height depend heavily on the tribe's soldier maximum levels but I arranged the four dimensions in such a way that it should look reasonable for all tribes.

• I would suggest to have the numbers in the "by level/attribute" tab below the icons as well. We could skip the little "x" in this case as well, and it would feel consistent to the "overview". By this we would gain the space to write attributes in the first column of each row

-1 for two reasons: the way it is now looks more compact to me; and it would be very difficult to get the layout to work properly. Box layout is prone to giving developers headaches face-wink.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 05:32

The font should first get a bit smaller to accommodate the long strings, but very very very long numbers might cut off. Making more room for the texts would break the layout.

How about using 1000+ or a similar notation if numbers get too big?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 10:13

Three digits just fit (with a slightly smaller font size), four digits don't. So I now replace numbers >= 1000 with '∞' and draw a tooltip with the exact number.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 11:09

Nordfriese wrote:

Three digits just fit (with a slightly smaller font size), four digits don't. So I now replace numbers >= 1000 with '∞' and draw a tooltip with the exact number.

how about drawing >1k instead as it should fit

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 18:49

Nordfriese wrote:

Three digits just fit (with a slightly smaller font size), four digits don't. So I now replace numbers >= 1000 with '∞'

and draw a tooltip with the exact number.

+1

hessenfarmer wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

+1

Native wrote:

One further idea: would it be possible to add this graphic/window also to the headquarter and warehouses? I always find it a bit annoying to not know what kind of soldiers are in them...

+1

Nice to see you again, Native

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-28, 19:36

Good idea, but this would look ugly to me because there should be a whitespace between the > and the number and we don't have enough space for that.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-07-29, 00:28

Nordfriese wrote:

Good idea, but this would look ugly to me because there should be a whitespace between the > and the number and we don't have enough space for that.

But it actually represents reality, unlike ∞. And it's not going to be seen in normal gameplay anyway.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-29, 09:35

How about scaling it with 1k 2k etc.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-29, 10:02

How about scaling it with 1k 2k etc.

Ok done. I reused the code from the stock display for that. 100k will not fit but I guess nobody will ever have that many soldiers anyway face-tongue.png

Edited: 2020-07-29, 10:02

Top Quote