Latest Posts

Topic: multiplayer feature

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 19:48

Nordfriese wrote:

There is little point discussing such niceties because the actual implementation is already functional. (Since before Build 20 by the way). "Only" the user interface is missing.

As far as I remember the trade market was ripped out before a release due to not finished. So really it should and can be discussed. IMHO

Edit: If you are using a git/bzr/zip checkout you can have a sneak peek using ./regression_test.py -b ./widelands -r trade

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 19:52

Only the market building was removed from the playable tribes to prevent it showing up in the encyclopedia, the implementation backend is still there and working and it's also being tested by the regression test suite on travis

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 19:55

Nordfriese wrote:

Only the market building was removed from the playable tribes to prevent it showing up in the encyclopedia, the implementation backend is still there and working and it's also being tested by the regression test suite on travis

Anyhow as this not documented anywhere, it is worth discussing how it should work in the end. I believe this is not already concrete stable from an implementation side.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 20:10

Well it can be discussed of course. But trading is not being actively worked on (the topic "belongs" to SirVer who is not coding for Widelands currently) so I'm just warning that the results of this discussion are likely to be forgotten or ignored…

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 21:03

Nordfriese wrote:

Well it can be discussed of course. But trading is not being actively worked on (the topic "belongs" to SirVer who is not coding for Widelands currently) so I'm just warning that the results of this discussion are likely to be forgotten or ignored…

Here I agree, but we could update the blueprint with discussion results (or a related issue in GitHub), just in case somebody would like to work on it someday. face-wink.png

Just to tell what is implemented so far in SirVer's branch (code sniplets):
- the player needs to build a "Market" building
- In this building you can define proposals of "trades"
- Trades consist of (other players market, number batches to trade, definition of batch) - Batch is defined as (number of wares x and numbers of ware y and numbers of ware z for number of wares a and number of wares b)
- If a trade is agreed the logic waits for the wares of one batch to arrive in each of the markets and then the second carrier ships the wares between the two markets. - This is repeated for the Number of batches.

Edit. This is what I understood, maybe different though.

My proposal would be to use a combined carrier with max 5 second carriers (someone should lead the treck of carriers). This means max 6 wares one way with each batch.
UI should be made by a list of open trade offers and the Interface to define them. One could agree on an offer by putting a mark in checkbox of the list.
The definition interface can be made from dropboxes for the players to trade with, the ware overview from the ecosetting to select wares and numbers to trade as well as an additional box to specify the number of batches.
Any player that gets a trade offer should be sent a notification message.

Edited: 2020-07-21, 21:03

Top Quote
MRubingh
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-07-23, 07:51

Hi all, very nice to hear that Trade is already in development! Very nice indeed. I had not known that. Please take my post as merely naive brainstormed ideas, and not as concrete proposals for changes to the game! In a few years, I'll download a new version of the game and check in again:-).

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-23, 08:19

MRubingh wrote:

Hi all, very nice to hear that Trade is already in development! Very nice indeed. I had not known that. Please take my post as merely naive brainstormed ideas, and not as concrete proposals for changes to the game! In a few years, I'll download a new version of the game and check in again:-).

If you wait that long this might be a pity for you and us as we recently increased our release frequency. Have you downloaded the newest build21 already. If yes any feedback is welcome. And brainstorming is important for getting further. However it isn't guaranteed that every idea (may it be brilliant or not) gets incorporated as the dev team still lacks capacities.

Top Quote