Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Alternative maritime warfare idea: Allow ships to attack anywhere

MRubingh
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 12:49

Alternative maritime warfare idea: Allow ships to carry soldiers, and then allow those soldiers to attack any enemy military building on land.

To attack an enemy on another island, just click a military building there, and then the rest happens automatically as in regular land combat: namely soldiers embark, ship goes there, soldiers disembark and attack building. [*]

This would fit in with the current game with only very few changes.

This way, Ports remain having as their only function the transport between points in your own territory. And Ports remain non-military buildings without soldiers in them. This removes the whole issue of Ports as military buildings. Instead, to conquer an enemy-held port, one would then attack the defending nearby enemy military buildings, destroying the enemy Port, and thereby opening up the Port Space for you to build your own port to access the island.

This would make "marine warfare" into a 1066 type of thing, where battles are not actually fought on the water, but remain land-based, i.e. where ships are used only to land an army which then does land combat.

If there is a need to restrict enemy attack options in a certain map, then I think instead of making Ports into military buildings, a better way would be to have different shore types. E.g. marine attack possible only at beaches, not anywhere else.

[*] The idea of the Scout Ship could be integrated here: e.g. Scout Ship makes discovered enemy military buildings attackable.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 14:42

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/662

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 17:07

I like the Idea of MRubingh,
mostly because I alredy suggested something quite similar. face-wink.png

However the gariison soldiers on HQ needs to be implemented first or at the same time. This is due to a port (and a HQ) in difference to a normal warehouse are (and will be) already attackable, as they have a conquer value assigned. Normal warehouses don't have this property as they are not designed to conquer land. Ports need to do so to allow for expansion, after the port is finished.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 18:31

@MRubingh unfortunately your conception is not complete... I've posted a complete conception some time ago.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-21, 19:46

Do you still remember what the thread was called? I tried searching for "seafaring" and it came up empty.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-24, 17:22

GunChleoc wrote:

Do you still remember what the thread was called? I tried searching for "seafaring" and it came up empty.

Here is the post: https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4492/?page=1#post-27561

So I didn't remember correctly, it wasn't a full conception, but we discussed how one could build a port in hostile territory, which is not possible currently

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote