Latest Posts

Topic: need some (beginner) help

Denethor
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 13:08

king_of_nowhere wrote:

there is an easy way to micromanage fully trained heroes on a big map, which is to set a relatively high count on weapons (say, 3 to 5) and stop the training camps until you have it full. this way you ensure that all soldiers entering a dungeon come out with full promotion level, and you only have to click once every few minutes. (so long as you have excess food). set a labyrinth to not accept shields or tabards so that it will only give evade promotions, and it will ensure each one of your soldiers have evade promotions.

so, each soldier coming out of the dungeon will be full evade and full attack, which is already close enough to top tier efficiency (around 30% win chance against a full hero) that you won't mind sending it to front.

That's not exactly what I meant. I don't have issues with food supplies - I do have a good amount of excess indeed. My concerns are about having my soldiers either head to to front directly from barracks as "rookies" without any promotions at all or they've been to the dungeon OR the labyrinth and go to the front having the full set of the according promotions, so either not a single promotion or 4x attack or 5x the other stuff. Actually there are some soldiers who only have 1x attack or so... but there are only a few of them and since I know why I had them trained as they are for a short time due to lack of coal I don't bother with them very much and them as rookies as well anyways.

So I would like to have my rookies go to the dungeon and the labyrinth in the first place and only afterwards go to the front. Otherwise they go forth and at some time later on they need to go back for training. On a 512x512 map this takes a lot of time "on the road"... Is this because I'm expanding "to fast" (or training soldiers too slow) and filling the military buildings is prioritized over training in labyrinth and dungeon?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 13:51

then i am afraid there isn't really a solution besides cutting roads or reducing the target number of soldiers in the buildings. my earlier suggestion works if all the front buldings are manned with soldiers that have at least evade.

Top Quote
Denethor
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 14:20

yeah ok. So I suppose I'd need to either get more economy to supply another one or two barracks to generate a steady income of enough rookie soldiers to man all buildings fast enough at all the frontlines or I'd need to slow down a bit or at least concentrate on one frontline at the time and some kind of fortify the others until I focus on them.

From experience - is there a number of barracks one should aim for at a small / medium / large map? Also I didn't find much on how many smithys etc you need to supply those barracks, labyrinths, etc... is this even possible to tell?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 14:26

Denethor wrote:

From experience - is there a number of barracks one should aim for at a small / medium / large map?

0 at the beginning, much later 1, should be enough.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Denethor
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 14:36

Oh... I already have two of them running and still have issues with supply. Seems like I make some major mistakes somewhere face-smile.png

Maybe then expanding into all directions 360° while always keeping at least "the last" guardhouse with a single soldier is not the best way?

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 19:49

If you feel you need more barracks, build more. Having too many won't hurt much if you reduce the number of input wares stored in each one.

I usually try to set the number of soldiers in military sites so that they don't request more soldiers than are available. This way it's easier to predict and control where soldiers go, and easier to get them trained. I also set "prefer heroes" only where I really need them, for the same reasons.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-31, 19:08

Denethor wrote:

Oh... I already have two of them running and still have issues with supply. Seems like I make some major mistakes somewhere :)

Are they running at 100%? Are they stopped by the economy settings limit sometimes? The default is 10 soldiers in stock.

Maybe then expanding into all directions 360° while always keeping at least "the last" guardhouse with a single soldier is not the best way?

Depends on the map, but it should be okay.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Denethor
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-06-04, 11:22

Thanks again guys. Just wanted to let you know how it played out for me some more hours into the game.

I did'nt build another barracks - instead I had another Labyrinth more to the frontline to reduce time "on the road" for those soldiers returning from the frontline for training. Also I sped up the game at 2x which I think makes it easier from a somewhat subjective perspective. As the game progresses faster it doesn't take that much "real-time" to build some military building. Seen the other way - if previously I had some similar kind of pattern on how frequently I tried to attack the enemy, my people now have double the amount of "ingame-time" to work on buildings, ressources etc... This makes it play out more fluently to some degree.

On the other side I experienced some lag starting about 10-12h into the game with 2x speed activated. It seemed to me it got better when I reduced it again to 1x, but I'm not sure about this. Is this experienced somewhere else? The game is "over" anyways - my direct enemies are pretty much conquered besides some single ports anywhere on the riverside and the three of them on the other island have been even weaker than "my" enemies. So it's just another long way of building towards the enemy just for crushing them and I'm not very motivated for this, so I'll end this game and start some others...

Again, thank you all.

Top Quote