Latest Posts

Topic: Important Tipps for new maps

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 13:47

We should think more when players get to different points in the game. I often see games, where i hjave tons of gold at the start, which you dont need indeed and than there is one island which contains gold for which the players should fight. But why, i have such tons of gold i dont even need any gold any more, so why should i expand.

In my opinion, it should really be a search for gold or iron, so that i have to go a long way to find gold or iron on another island. Its fine to have a small amount if iron at the beginning, but especially gold sould not be everywhere. I mean it is a rare ressource and there are a lot of maps that have 33% gold 33% coal 33% iron and no stone.

This could be an Idea:

50% Coal

30% Stone

15% Iron

5% Gold

Another idea is that like Atlanteans we make another ressource like Diamond, which is really rare on the map.

We can also make it like the mine, maybe a gold mine that if served with a special food it can get Platin or a 5% Chance to find a Diamond.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 21:06

the-x wrote:

Another idea is that like Atlanteans we make another ressource like Diamond, which is really rare on the map.

We can also make it like the mine, maybe a gold mine that if served with a special food it can get Platin or a 5% Chance to find a Diamond.

That could be an idea for a new tribe. But then the game would be more luck-based, which is not nice.

Edited: 2020-02-16, 22:52

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-05-02, 11:47

the-x wrote:

We should think more when players get to different points in the game. I often see games, where i hjave tons of gold at the start, which you dont need indeed and than there is one island which contains gold for which the players should fight. But why, i have such tons of gold i dont even need any gold any more, so why should i expand.

In my opinion, it should really be a search for gold or iron, so that i have to go a long way to find gold or iron on another island. Its fine to have a small amount if iron at the beginning, but especially gold sould not be everywhere. I mean it is a rare ressource and there are a lot of maps that have 33% gold 33% coal 33% iron and no stone.

This could be an Idea:

50% Coal

30% Stone

15% Iron

5% Gold

I aggree with this idea. Although I have put a vast amount of gold in my first submitted map, you have to work hard removing stones to get at it unless you already have ships. When you are playing single peson games and the computer players get gold before you do there is no chance of ever beating them even with very low AI.

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-02, 13:21

Lawrence wrote:

When you are playing single peson games and the computer players get gold before you do there is no chance of ever beating them even with very low AI.

Then you are doing something wrong. Have you already played the tutorials and the tutorial scenarios?

I estimate that a normal AI has no chance against the average Widelands player. At the other hand it's hard to know how average players play, because our rating system is almost not used.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-02, 19:54

WorldSavior wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

When you are playing single peson games and the computer players get gold before you do there is no chance of ever beating them even with very low AI.

Then you are doing something wrong. Have you already played the tutorials and the tutorial scenarios?

I estimate that a normal AI has no chance against the average Widelands player. At the other hand it's hard to know how average players play, because our rating system is almost not used.

Just want to say: The forum elders play this game for years and exchanging tipps. It is normal that they are kind of pro players, searching for new challenges (like a stronger ai). But it is also normal that some players may do not reach this level of experience, maybe because they are just playing for fun, or other reasons. Those players need the same kind of attention as pro players. Please don't expect that all players are (or want to be) at the same level as pro players.

I would call me an average player but recently i was faced by an ai player who managed to get a lot of heroes. Because i had expanded too many too early, i found myself in a situation where i had to fight against 3 opponents and managing my heroes was quite difficult. Than i thought "wow, the ai get stronger and stronger". So for me the sentence "ai has no chance against an average player" is not true under some circumstances.

Also i think some players play this game just as a pastime. Combat (with all needed economic adjustments) might be some sort of "must be" but not as "that's why i play this game". Maybe we should make a poll "Why do you play this game" face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-07-08, 13:47

That could be an interesting poll. Why do I play? because I like the way Widelands works and I enjoy building my comunity. I also like to have a battle but it is more fun if I can win in the end. I used to play a battle game on my Apple iPad. In that game it did not matter if you lost because the next time you played you had all your things back again. That did get a bit boring though. That is a long answer, sorry if I am boring too. Hey, I am 68 on my next birthday face-smile.png Thanks for the game guys and thanks for having this forum.

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-07-11, 08:03

When I first started playing, I definitely lost against the AI more than once. It can still happen if I don't pay attention.

IMO these are the ways of solving this problem:

1. Make the AI smarter. This is a very difficult problem to solve and will only happen gradually.
  2. Create more challenge maps and play those

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote