Latest Posts

Topic: This isn't meant to be particularly helpful,

ianfreeman

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-09-16, 02:48

but my comments on playing Widelands might be interesting to someone: http://spielover.blogspot.com/2010/09/widelands.html

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-09-16, 08:25

Nice writing style, but what a depressing view of widelands you have. I just wanted to add a few remarks:

• There will be trading in some time. There will also be seafaring and science. All those might give rise to new win conditions which force another kind of play. Remember: There was not even warfare 1 year ago, so you really had no way to interact with other players. Bear with us.
  • There are many more win conditions now in trunk (and will be in build 16). Some among them are collecting precious wares, having the most trees on your ground and owning half of the walkable fields on the map. Those call for very different playing strategies and mix the game up quite a bit.
  • The learning curve for widelands is not so steep if you play through the tutorials which are provided for a reason.
  • Seeing Civilization as being less complicated than widelands seems like a peculiar view to me.

In general, I feel most what you say about this is true to most games, so theres is not so much particular about widelands. E.g.:

When you have learned the game, your moves in the game amount to a carrying out of an instruction list.

Details is what matters: map and opponent will force you into some actions sooner or later. You know, football is basically just getting the ball and score more goals than the other. It is not boring or futile though.

Thanks for investing time in widelands. I sure hope you find some joy in the game in the future; there is plenty to be found there. Maybe joining the current tournament and playing humans will be a nice experience.

!SirVer

Top Quote
ianfreeman

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-09-16, 08:55

Oh no! I do enjoy Widelands, however depressingly I've written about it. I guess that's what I meant to say in the last paragraph.

And yes, the points about the possibilities of agency in Widelands were really about games in general, although I would argue about specifically computer games. I didn't intend to so much say that games are boring and futile, but rather to use Widelands and more broadly games to illustrate a paradox in the exercise of free will. Sometimes I do find Widelands futile, yet I keep wanting to play it, and I find that interesting.

I am sorry that I came off as belittling the achievement of the developers of Widelands. I am impressed. It's clearly got some bugs, kinks, and not-yet-developed features, but it is after all under development. I'm anticipating seafaring with the impatience of a greedy little boy.

Top Quote