Latest Posts

Topic: Bugs between build20 and build21

niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-04-15, 15:17

Nordfriese wrote:

It would be good if you could test the tribes filtering branch: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/3693
The PR has been open for two months now and nobody found time for it yet. If you test it, I'll do the code review and we might have it for b21.

Anything specific to test there? Or just normal playtesting?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-15, 15:28

Normal testplaying, yes. Best play a full game (including seafaring and ferries) with every tribe, and test different setups where you sometimes use all tribes in a game and sometimes only some:
You should expect a significant performance boost during the initial tribeloading (the fewer different tribes participate, the faster) and no new waiting times when any unit (building, worker, whatever) first appears in the game.
If you test this both in singleplayer and in multiplayer (local LAN suffices) this would be great. Please also retest the 4th empire scenario, and check that setting the player starting positions in the editor works normally.

And by the way, if you (or someone else) happen to have so much spare time that you want to testplay even more, this PR could also use a bit of testing face-smile.png

Edited: 2020-04-15, 15:29

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-15, 22:25

Nordfriese wrote:

Way too soon now!! face-wink.png

Rather too late face-wink.png

kaputtnik wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

However in my opinion there have been so many new features that IMHO we should consider making the release as soon as all the critical bugs are fixed (which will still take some time though).

Yes, especially because some new features already introduced new bugs...

Some one should just declare the feature freeze... I'd vote for it face-smile.png

+1

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

In the collectors mode, unexperienced players don't know what the match is about. Reason: There is no more message at the beginning of the match about the wares, it appears only after 60 minutes. There should be a message at the beginning of the match, but definitely no popup.

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Regression bug: Economy settings of Atlantean Blackroot Flour are missing, spotted in Amazons6762

they were removed due to being consistent with e.g. empire wine. see https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/3682

It's bad, because mills can waste time for superflouus black flower now. Imperial wine is a different story, because the whinery only produces one type of ware.

It should not waste time as it should only do blackrootflour if it is needed or no cornflour is needed.

That's how it has been before. Now it always produces blackflour if it can, no matter if it's needed or if cornflour is not needed

so if cornflour needed and no blackrootflour it will do blackroot.

Is this a "Freudian Slip" which only shows how bad the situation is? face-tongue.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-15, 22:51

All right then face-smile.png Seeing as the community is getting impatient, I have scheduled the first snow feature freeze. Unless our chieftain turns up to give me a box on the ears for making decisions without waiting for her approval, the feature freeze for build 21 will take place in one week exactly.

Edited: 2020-04-15, 22:55

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-15, 23:45

WorldSavior wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

In the collectors mode, unexperienced players don't know what the match is about. Reason: There is no more message at the beginning of the match about the wares, it appears only after 60 minutes. There should be a message at the beginning of the match, but definitely no popup.

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Regression bug: Economy settings of Atlantean Blackroot Flour are missing, spotted in Amazons6762

they were removed due to being consistent with e.g. empire wine. see https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/3682

It's bad, because mills can waste time for superflouus black flower now. Imperial wine is a different story, because the whinery only produces one type of ware.

It should not waste time as it should only do blackrootflour if it is needed or no cornflour is needed.

That's how it has been before. Now it always produces blackflour if it can, no matter if it's needed or if cornflour is not needed

so if cornflour needed and no blackrootflour it will do blackroot.

Is this a "Freudian Slip" which only shows how bad the situation is? face-tongue.png

The mill's current program conditions are:

• cornmeal:
    "return=skipped when site has blackroot and economy needs blackroot_flour and not economy needs cornmeal",
    "return=skipped unless economy needs cornmeal",
    Isn't the first line superfluous? Since one of its and conditionals is identical to the sole condition of the second line.
    In effect, the mill will make cornmeal if and only if cornmeal is needed.

• blackroot flour: "return=skipped when site has corn and economy needs cornmeal and not economy needs blackroot_flour",
    Skips grinding blackroots if and only if blackroots are not needed but cornmeal is. I don't see the problem?

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-04-16, 00:27

Nordfriese wrote:

The mill's current program conditions are:

• cornmeal:
    "return=skipped when site has blackroot and economy needs blackroot_flour and not economy needs cornmeal",
    "return=skipped unless economy needs cornmeal",
    Isn't the first line superfluous? Since one of its and conditionals is identical to the sole condition of the second line.
    In effect, the mill will make cornmeal if and only if cornmeal is needed.

• blackroot flour: "return=skipped when site has corn and economy needs cornmeal and not economy needs blackroot_flour",
    Skips grinding blackroots if and only if blackroots are not needed but cornmeal is. I don't see the problem?

The problem is that the economy setting for blackroot flour was removed, so now the economy ALWAYS needs blackroot flour and so the mill NEVER skips it.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-16, 09:16

ok confirmed time is wasted as blackroot isn't skipped.
basically there are 2 options
have no eco setting like now --> blackroot not skipped.
have an eco setting like before --> blackroot gets milled if no cornmeal needed irrespective of eco setting which was reported as bug already.

3rd option is a hidden eco setting which was not deemed appropriate, however I would reconsider this. I'll try what happens if we hide the setting when a default target quantity of 0 is set. (the setting is controlled by setting a default target quantity for the ware and tribe).

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-16, 09:51

This discussion seems to have been going on for years and always going in circles. Since there seems to be no solution that satisfies everyone, how about splitting the mill into two buildings, one for cornmeal (working only on demand) and one for blackroot flour (working always)? We already figured out that atlanteans are somewhat overpowered in early game so this would not even negatively impact balancing much…

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-16, 10:57

Nordfriese wrote:

This discussion seems to have been going on for years and always going in circles. Since there seems to be no solution that satisfies everyone, how about splitting the mill into two buildings, one for cornmeal (working only on demand) and one for blackroot flour (working always)? We already figured out that atlanteans are somewhat overpowered in early game so this would not even negatively impact balancing much…

I believe I found a solution to implement that a default target quantity of 0 will be not visible in the eco settings. this would satisfy every aspect. having an additional mill would not have an effect on early game advantage of atlanteans.
I'll prepare a branch tonight.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-16, 20:37

Testing needed

If you (yes, you, reader face-smile.png ) are a Windows user, please test the following (already code-review-approved) PR: #3757
EDIT: Merged now. Thanks to Niektory for testing face-smile.png

Reviews needed

We have some open PRs which should urgently be code-reviewed. If you can read C++, please consider reviewing some of those:

• [Done] #3853 – Thanks to tppq for the review face-smile.png

• https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/3850 (tested already)

• [Done] #3837 – Thanks to simplypeachy and Niektory for the reviews face-smile.png

• [Done] #3844 – Thanks to Niektory and tppq for the reviews face-smile.png

• [Done] #3842 – Thanks to Niektory for the review face-smile.png

(If anyone wonders why I request reviews only for my own PRs, the answer is that I can and did review just about all open PRs except those face-wink.png )

Edited: 2020-04-19, 19:49

Top Quote