Latest Posts

Topic: A revamp of campaign portraits

brg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2020-04-10, 18:01

Hello, I am the author of the portraits for the Imperial and Barbarian campaigns and I decided to revamp them.
Here is a renewed portrait for the Barbarian campaign.
And here it is how it looks in game:

Personally, I think that the picture looks best when it blends a bit with its window, so the borders need a bit of work. However the nails do not blend too well with the overall presentation, because they are too painting-like, while the rest of the graphics is more sculpture-like.
Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-04-10, 19:34

I love your work! it's really pretty.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-10, 22:43

Hi Brg, welcome back. Personally I like the unaltered borders best, second best is the smal torn borders. In fact it should be the other way round. the text should blend in in pergament style and thios can be torn at the edges. However I don't know whether this is feasible.

Another thing is that I created 2 aditional missions in the imperial campaign. I faked some portraits there with gimp and paint which isn't really nice just functional. They could need an artist most I believe.

best regards

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-04-10, 22:52

Hey brg, welcome back! Your artwork blends so well with Widelands' aesthetic, great to see that you're back with more face-smile.png

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
brg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2020-04-11, 23:30
Here is the new Boldreth. He is less angry and more flamboyant than before. I did not like the angry Boldreth.

If you want the XCF files (GIMP source files), I can post them here.
Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 12:16

brg wrote:

[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DwpNT5D_Zg9j_OXIL46N-ZOVlPGbyUlT/view?usp=sharing]Here[/url] is the new Boldreth. He is less angry and more flamboyant than before. I did not like the angry Boldreth.

Hi while I fully understand your position (the old one really looked fierce) we should take into consideration he is still a Warrior that is raging for war. Furthermore he has some attributes that the other barbarians don't have. So I would suggest, if possible to remove the pigtails and perhaps the beard, Perhaps he can carry his helmet (that should look like our warriors helmet from the game wares) this with a more neutral face expression (no smile) would make him look right. in your draft he looks like the bard from the asterix comics.

Edited: 2020-04-12, 12:16

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 13:59

brg wrote:

[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DwpNT5D_Zg9j_OXIL46N-ZOVlPGbyUlT/view?usp=sharing]Here[/url] is the new Boldreth. He is less angry and more flamboyant than before. I did not like the angry Boldreth.

Very nice graphics, combined with the Settler 2 move attacking from top down it will add nostalgy

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 14:31

Moin,

the new portaits look great face-smile.png

For Thron's image, the version with slightly torn borders looks best IMHO because it blends well with the story window.

I agree that while the old Boldreth is way too angry the new one is looking a bit too friendly; no smile, a helmet, and perhaps less strong lighting on the portrait would emphasise his warlike character better,

Top Quote
brg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 20:09

OK, let's see. I put in game:

If Boldreth looks a bit like the bard from Asterix, it is because I used some Gaulish and Briton warriors as a template. I also looked into Frankish and Teutonic warriors, but, in my opinion, they look a bit too "barbaric" and fierce for an economy building game. Granted the fact that we are talking about ethnic groups that spanned for thousands of kilometres, for millennia and that mixed together, usually Germanic warriors from the ancient world are those with longer hairs and beards and who use more leather and furs than wool and linen, not to mentions "exotic" hair-styles, compared to Celts. That said, I did try to not make Boldreth outright Celtic (e.g. no collar around neck, which was pretty much standard for Gauls, nor tattoos like the Britons), but some Celto-Germanic appearance. Gauls used to sport moustaches and some Western Germans like the Franks or the Anglo-Saxons in Britain did too.
His smile is to convey self-confidence and boldness, and because he is a bit snarky.
Moreover, the Frisians could use some more Northern Germanic appearance.
Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 21:03

Hm, ok,
I think we could keep the beard and the pigtails. However we definitly need a more serious if not grim face expression. What is in my mind is something like Vercingetorix is drawn by Uderzo in Asterix or thor in marvel films. When I mentioned a helmet It would be good to see him carrying it in the right hand rather then wearing it. he is talking to his chieftain each time.
If you make him look int his style. could you make the other characters look in similar style (they don't have any beards currently and no warrior attributes either Which is ok for Khanthruk but not for Thron in my opinion.

Top Quote