Latest Posts

Topic: Maps overhaul for build21

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-21, 09:47

Some statistics... currently there are 51 maps shipped with the game.

• two player maps: 13
  • three player maps: 11
  • four player maps: 16
  • five player maps: 2
  • six player maps: 3
  • seven player maps: 2
  • eight player maps: 4

+1 for removing/replacing Impact

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 07:40

I'd vote for adding Torus Planet because it's a confusing map and Escher Goose Fish to have another plain map.

I am also fine with removing Volcanic Winter.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 09:04

Since there are so many votes for Escher I added it to the branch and removed Volcanic Winter.

-1 for Torus Planet – it's just another very big completely flat and rather boring map imho.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 15:42

kaputtnik wrote:

I'd vote for adding Torus Planet because it's a confusing map

+1

oh thanks face-smile.png

Nordfriese wrote:

-1 for Torus Planet – it's just another very big completely flat and rather boring map imho.

Why "rather boring"? It's the first map ever which uses the four terrain types as different "climate zones". Discovering a new climate zone and expanding through it feels there quite nice. And the map would have some good use for ferries, as there is not much space for roads, so a ferry road at the edges might be quite useful. And why is it "boring" and "Long Long way" not?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 18:34

The climate zones are a nice feature, but the map is made to be functional at the cost of appearance. There are no coastlines at all, just a bunch of hexagons placed more or less next to each other. Some even have a half-tile river between them. It looks like they were hastily placed with a few mouse clicks and little consideration. Also there are a handful of quickly placed rocks and trees, no other landmarks whatsoever, no heights. Sorry, the idea is nice but the map looks shapeless and rather like a prototype, a blueprint for what a map with climate zones could look like.

If you want to clean the coastlines (get rid of the very hexagon-based structure, sharper edges) and add some more landmarks (heights, standing stones, whatever) this could become a nice map. But as it is, it is not an aesthetic map imho.

And why is it "boring" and "Long Long way" not?

• On LLW, you can expand left, right, and straight ahead, and you have the option to completely bypass one enemy on each of the four volcanoes and keep expanding. Here there are only two principal directions, and you have to fight with the next-best enemy. As a rule, bigger maps should offer more than two degrees of expansion freedom.

• LLW has few features, but it has some. Most notably the volcanoes. Torus Planet has none.

• The things that needed improving for LLW also apply here: No coastline, no significant landmarks.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 19:18

I agree that Torus Planet could be improved in a visual way. But i think that this shouldn't be the only argument against adding this map.

What do others think about this map?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-11, 21:02

Nordfriese wrote:

The climate zones are a nice feature, but the map is made to be functional at the cost of appearance. There are no coastlines at all, just a bunch of hexagons placed more or less next to each other. Some even have a half-tile river between them. It looks like they were hastily placed with a few mouse clicks and little consideration. Also there are a handful of quickly placed rocks and trees, no other landmarks whatsoever, no heights. Sorry, the idea is nice but the map looks shapeless and rather like a prototype, a blueprint for what a map with climate zones could look like.

It's a minimalistic design face-wink.png

But however, I'm now against including the map. Not for astetical, but for playability reasons. One doesn't have enough space on it, and the distances can become extremely large.

And why is it "boring" and "Long Long way" not?

• On LLW, you can expand left, right, and straight ahead, and you have the option to completely bypass one enemy on each of the four volcanoes and keep expanding. Here there are only two principal directions, and you have to fight with the next-best enemy. As a rule, bigger maps should offer more than two degrees of expansion freedom.

On Torus planet you can also expand with ships, and on LLW your opponent has to expand so he will block you, or he will not gain enough space. but however...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 16:47

We ought to ensure that any maps that are removed are available on the download section of the web site, especially if they were authored by our revered Elders :-) Impact is on the map page but Volcanic Winter is missing. I would upload it but I'm not sure of the best method to convert from a map folder to a file.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-12, 16:49

Good point, I'll upload it…

Edit: https://www.widelands.org/maps/volcanic-winter/

Edited: 2020-04-12, 16:54

Top Quote