Latest Posts

Topic: Restless soldiers in the training camp...

blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 09:01

I'm a bit puzzled as to why my soldiers are continuously entering and leaving my training camp. They've been doing it almost non-stop for most of the game.

In my previous games, soldiers have been content to hang around in the training camp (or equivalent) for a long time; but this time they just can't seem to stay put. (One possible explanation is that previously I was using `build 20`, and now I'm trying `amazons-6897`; so maybe it's a mechanics change.)

Edited: 2020-04-01, 09:02

Attachment:
soldier churn.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 10:01

did you use frisians as well in b20. patience of the trainers is tribe dependant. I can't remeber having a change there between the 2 builds you mentioned

Top Quote
Native
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 10:12

I also noticed this behavior with different tribes than frisians. On various more or less recent builds. Even if it is intentional I don't really like it too... it's more like a bug to me.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 10:26

Native wrote:

it's more like a bug to me.

It is rather a feature: If not all wares can be provided, the soldiers make space automatically for other soldiers which can be trained at least a bit.

If you don't want that they do it: Set the trainingssite on "stop".

Though, there are some bugs: Sometime, even when the trainingssite is on stop, it sends soldiers away.

And it can happen that a partly trained soldier gets send away much too early (like immediately) when he enters the trainingssite.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 11:32

This happens if a trainingsite is low on food. The kick-out if wares are missing should probably only be triggered by missing weapons or armory.

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 11:50

Hmm..

In my games the training camps are almost never fully stocked. They're more likely to be running at 20% than 100%; but yet this is the first time I've noticed a steady stream of soldiers leaving and entering.

If it is something to do with making space for other soldiers to be trained, then I think I've got an idea of what's going on:

• On this particular map, the player starts with around 10 well trained (but not fully trained) soldiers with exactly the same bonuses.
  • My guess is that since the soldiers have the same training, they are all getting kicked out at the same time, because they meet the kick-out condition; but then the replacement soldiers have the same stats anyway, and so they get kicked out as soon as they arrive as well.

That's what I think is happening; and so the reason we don't see it most of the time is that usually soldiers have a spread of different upgrades. But I'm just guessing.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 12:02

blind3rdeye wrote:

Hmm..

In my games the training camps are almost never fully stocked. They're more likely to be running at 20% than 100%; but yet this is the first time I've noticed a steady stream of soldiers leaving and entering.

If it is something to do with making space for other soldiers to be trained, then I think I've got an idea of what's going on:

• On this particular map, the player starts with around 10 well trained (but not fully trained) soldiers with exactly the same bonuses.
  • My guess is that since the soldiers have the same training, they are all getting kicked out at the same time, because they meet the kick-out condition; but then the replacement soldiers have the same stats anyway, and so they get kicked out as soon as they arrive as well.

That's what I think is happening; and so the reason we don't see it most of the time is that usually soldiers have a spread of different upgrades. But I'm just guessing.

that is hard to tell without a savegame or replay. Maybe you could provide us with either of this

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 12:54

Yep! I just checked one of the autosaves. In the save attached, there isn't much action for a minute or so, but then the training camp starts churning soldiers non-stop. They just continuously walk from the camp to the warehouse and back again. It goes on for quite a long time.

Incidentally, the saves seems to be stored in a weird place. I found them in C:\users\(me)\.widelands. That looks like the kind of place they might go on linux, but I wouldn't expect to find saves there on Windows. In Windows it should probably be in %APPDATA%\widelands (which ends up being C:\users\(me)\appdata\roaming\widelands); or possibly it could use %USERPROFILE%\documents\widelands. (Amongst the games I've got on my computer those two paths seem roughly equally popular, with a few other games choosing to use %USERPROFILE%\documents\my games - I'm not sure why.)

Attachment:
training churn weirdness.wgf (1.6 MB)

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 13:20

We have the Linux-like strange location because the code is older than the Windows AppData folder (Windows XP didn't have it), and nobody cared enough to change this.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-01, 13:41

Well So I might look into the issue tonight. thanks for the save.

Regarding the location for savegames I have the feeling that every game handles this differently on windows. However if we are going to change something there we should simply let the user decide where to store them. As preferences are differently I assume. E.g. I don't like to have anything stored on C:\ at all, cause it gets lost in case the OS might crash

Top Quote