Latest Posts

Topic: Food preferences

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 17:25

kaputtnik wrote:

Hm... this discussion is for me a sort of 'high end' discussion. Can somebody please explain in detail what "building xy prefers ware xy" means?

An example: An imperial ration costs one fish or one meat or one bread. If the tavern is full of food, it will always prefer to turn fish into the ration, because fish is on top of the list.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 17:30

In a building's ware window the higher items are consumed in preference to the lower items, where there are wares that can be used interchangeably. For example, an Empire tavern will consume fish to produce a ration. If there are no fish it will consume meat and if no meat, finally bread. I believe that the logic for this is because for this tribe, fish is the easiest ware to produce, meat less so, and bread the most complex. This helps make best use of available resources. I hadn't realised this was the logic until I discussed it with SirVir some years ago. After he explained it, I found it made sense face-smile.png

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 18:55

Thanks for the explanations face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 19:40

simplypeachy wrote:

If there are no fish it will consume meat and if no meat, finally bread. I believe that the logic for this is because for this tribe, fish is the easiest ware to produce, meat less so, and bread the most complex. This helps make best use of available resources.

I think that having it the other way around would have some bonuses as well. For example, on many maps the fish production drops quite rapidly, especially if the fishers are close to each other. Having farms first would make it possible to tune the amount of piggeries in more controlled fashion: Consumption of fish would directly translate into meat production shortage. There could also be other subtle benefits.

In the end of the day, the order does not really make any difference. I still think that playing experience would be better if the replenishable protein source would have priority.

Top Quote