Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Make Empire Vineyards a "small" building?

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-17, 18:05

After having played all existing maps, many of them as as Empire, I would like to suggest that empire vineyard be changed to a "small" building.

When starting a game playing Empire, many maps have only limited stone resources near. The imperial house building, however, relies heavily on marble, which is only obtained as 2 out of 7 mining incidents with a quarry. Once you can build a marble mine, the ratio becomes better (50%) In order to maintain a marble mine, you need te have a wine production, along with fish/meat and bread. This can be hard, when you start on a map with little even terrain. (Like playing the green player on "the green plateau" - but also others)

I don't think this change would have much influence on the balance of the tribes. Once your economy grows, you have enough space anyhow. It's just a little relief in starting off, which seems fine to me.

I have tested this in the game (conf edit) and I think it also makes the screen look nicer; after all vinyards on sloped countryside are not uncommon face-smile.png

So, why not do make that change? Any comments?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
genesis

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 12:53

i agree with u Astuur. i make the same experience.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 21:57

I do not agree - wineyards on slope are common, yes - but the point is a game design question face-wink.png - I would perhaps be fine with a medium building, but small is much too low for it.

And even if you don't think so - size does matter and if you look further to the atlanteans - they have even to build a weaving mill -> + spider farm -> + farm to ensure they don't run out of important build material - so one big building is nothing in comparison ;).

My conclussion: Let's leave it as it is

Top Quote
EgyLynx

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 22:41

What medium builing you move at then Barbiaans?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 22:49

EgyLynx wrote: What medium builing you move at then Barbiaans?

Sorry I do not get, what you wanted to say? Perhaps you asked, whether the Barbarians have to build big buildings to ensure that they do not run out of build material. If yes:

The barbarians do not have a bigger building that should be build soon after game start - but that is okay as that is intended. Economy parts get more dependend from Barbarians (simple) -> Empire (medium) -> Atlanteans (stronger connections)

Top Quote