Excellent. Merged and translations pulled/pushed face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-03-29, 23:36

I've been playing the build-20, as you said. I might try to get a development build or something so that I'm testing things at their latest.

Based 100% on real-life geometry. Not my fault that Lungnees/De Neeß/Hallig Nordmarsch-Langeneß is a bit flat

Yeah ok. Fair enough. I think maybe I was a bit unfair if what I said, and didn't really articulate what I was thinking very well. In any case, I haven't yet played to the end of that campaign - so I should probably do that to get a better sense of what's going on. (I've only just started the second mission.)

-1 from me. You can find out which workers and tools are needed with a few clicks in the in-game encyclopedia, and use the stock menu to find out whether you have those tools in warehouses or not. This is also explained in the economy tutorial.

Ok. Fair call. Actually, that reminds me of something else I wanted to mention - which is that sometimes the notifications get full of stuff that I don't care about and I just want to clear them all. Is there a button for delete all notifications? If not, maybe there should be. (I sometimes have hundreds of notifications, mostly about lumber cutters momentarily running out of trees.)

(Re: Fri01)Besides by the time the flood starts the player was already told to build a new warehouse further east and move construction materials there.

For me, that map was the first time I lost and had to reload. The problem wasn't the construction resources. Those were fine. I ultimately lost because I didn't have enough gold... but there were some compounding factors: After I destroyed the enemy HQ and the island started sinking, I was unable to reach either of the available port positions until I'd built two small military buildings (I thought one was going to be enough, otherwise it might have been faster to go for one larger one). During that time I also built the weaving mill; but only after it finished did I realise that my HQ (with spare tools) and the smithy had already sunk. In any case, while I was stuffing around trying to resolve the tools situation, and try to ensure a flow of fur and building resources in case I need new fur, or new tools or whatever; and trying to resolve traffic jams. (One difference to the other sinking island is that cloth is a new resource that you need to learn the supply chain for; whereas the equivalent spider-cloth is something you already have in your stores.) Finally the port position was available and I started building the port; but until then I didn't realise that it needed gold. The only gold I had left got lost in the traffic of other junk.

In any case, obviously its an avoidable problem; I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone!. I was just left thinking if I knew that was coming, it would be trivially easy; because I'd just move a few things out first; but in not knowing it was coming, and assuming that the game would end when I completely conquered the entire island... I lost. Maybe I should have suspected it might happen from the map description.

You are right that it will probably feel better when the other campaign has more missions.

That won't help, as even if you start moving goods early the road network will be jammed a lot. so the few seconds gained by such a move won't help.

That reminds me... Maybe the 'advisors' are being a bit cheeky in that campaign, but they seem to give some questionable advice - they say to build extra foresters 'because trees don't grow well on the island' (which ends up filling the small area with trees, so you need to either disable them or get more wood cutters); and they say to build extra clay pits (which might be useful later; but when you only have the HQ it just results in a massive traffic jam at the HQ - because you don't yet have any other warehouse and you can't get reindeer yet). I found it pretty amusing actually. "here's what you should build"... and then none of my carriers can move, because of the backlog of clay and wood and berries.

Each set of unconnected flags is its own economy, making them the go-to point to change an economy's targets.

Ok then. I have yet played with disconnected economies like that; so I didn't realise it worked like that. In that case, that's good as it is!

Thanks, everyone.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 00:52

blind3rdeye wrote:

Ok. Fair call. Actually, that reminds me of something else I wanted to mention - which is that sometimes the notifications get full of stuff that I don't care about and I just want to clear them all. Is there a button for delete all notifications? If not, maybe there should be. (I sometimes have hundreds of notifications, mostly about lumber cutters momentarily running out of trees.)

For a long time, when I was a new player, I ignored the Inbox as it didn't seem important, and whenever I looked at it, it was always full so it appeared to have little value. After realising that most of these were useful messages, I started playing with the Inbox open all the time, moved somewhat into the lower corner and learned to deal with every message as it came in, and found that I was a much more efficient player as a result. Looking back I wonder how I ever knew what was going on with my empire with my eyes closed!

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 01:07

simplypeachy wrote:

blind3rdeye wrote:

For a long time, when I was a new player, I ignored the Inbox as it didn't seem important, and whenever I looked at it, it was always full so it appeared to have little value. After realising that most of these were useful messages, I started playing with the Inbox open all the time, moved somewhat into the lower corner and learned to deal with every message as it came in, and found that I was a much more efficient player as a result. Looking back I wonder how I ever knew what was going on with my empire with my eyes closed!

Yeah, most of the messages are pretty useful. No more fish, no more stone, no more coal, etc... that's useful to know. But no more trees - in one of my main lumber-farms - for the 40th time, is not important. The woodcutter is not really running out of trees. It's just operating with a small amount of spare capacity so that I don't have trees spilling all across my land. And 'we're under attack', again, for the 10th time in 10 mins... it's important but I already know. Perhaps 'no more trees' notation could go away if the wood cutter does subsequently find a tree. (And I still think that 'no worker available' would be worthy of a notification as well.)

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 01:13

blind3rdeye wrote:

Yeah, most of the messages are pretty useful. No more fish, no more stone, no more coal, etc... that's useful to know. But no more trees - in one of my main lumber-farms - for the 40th time, is not important. The woodcutter is not really running out of trees. It's just operating with a small amount of spare capacity so that I don't have trees spilling all across my land. And 'we're under attack', again, for the 10th time in 10 mins... it's important but I already know. Perhaps 'no more trees' notation could go away if the wood cutter does subsequently find a tree. (And I still think that 'no worker available' would be worthy of a notification as well.)

Noisy messages are being tracked in issues 2036 and 3639. Your mention of the attack spam is also a relevant case that I hadn't thought of.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 01:20

blind3rdeye wrote:

And I still think that 'no worker available' would be worthy of a notification as well.

That's an interesting suggestion. IME a site without a worker is almost always something I know about, and know it'll be resolved soon (or later, if I've just built eleventy-billion farms) but when an upgraded building needs a more experienced worker, and there are none, it's not easy to know about. I usually see "worker missing" and it's useful to know, but if I'm scrolling around my empire I'll usually assume it'll be fixed once the toolsmithy comes back from their lunchbreak. But say, an Empire mine without Master Miners will not eventually be solved until others are kicked out. That being said, I've always felt that experienced worker counts should be handled in the same way economy targets are, with masters automatically replaced by a junior where not needed until the target is met.

I did see your post about a training site being left without a worker and I've suffered that same problem, too. I wonder - if trainers were created in the barracks, this problem would be alleviated, as long as they were created before soldiers.

_aD on IRC

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 08:49

blind3rdeye wrote:

CTRL+A and then Del is your friend. There's a list of keyboard shortcuts in the Encyclopedia.

Edited: 2020-03-30, 08:49

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 10:59

But say, an Empire mine without Master Miners will not eventually be solved until others are kicked out

We have an existing plan to resolve this kind of thing automatically: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/WorkerDistribution/

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-30, 15:25

Nordfriese wrote:

But say, an Empire mine without Master Miners will not eventually be solved until others are kicked out

We have an existing plan to resolve this kind of thing automatically: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/WorkerDistribution/

Oh wow, I hadn't realised that page, thanks for the link face-smile.png

_aD on IRC

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-04-02, 01:26

GunChleoc wrote:

CTRL+A and then Del is your friend. There's a list of keyboard shortcuts in the Encyclopedia.

Oh. That works? Nice. Thanks. I did see that list of shortcuts; but I tried using them on the warehouse item lists and they didn't work... so I kind of just forgot about them about that. (I've since worked out that click and drag is the best way to handle the warehouse items.)

Regarding the Frisian campaign. I just finished the second mission. I liked it a lot better than the first. It has some fresh ideas, with interesting new challenges to manage. (Although, it was a bit of a slog at the end. I'd build my economy to the point where I'd clearly 'won', but it still took a very long time to push through the vast map to eliminate the enemy.)

Unfortunately, after winning the map I encountered a bug. The game shows a notification saying

Lua Coroutine Failed [../src/scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] [string "scripting/mission_thread.lua"]:318: attempt to call a nil value (method 'reveal_scenario')

This is on amazons-6897. I've attached a save game. And after this, the game no longer progresses. ie. it behaves as if it is paused.

I looked briefly at the lua code, but I didn't see any obvious problems. the call to p1:reveal_scenario("frisians02") appears equivalent to the one in the first mission p1:reveal_scenario("frisians01"); and I didn't have any problems with that. But I played the first mission on build 20, and this is on amazons-6897; so I suppose it's probably related to the new build.

Edited: 2020-04-02, 01:26

Top Quote