Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Maps overhaul for build21

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 01:22

ok, done. I also updated the map description to be clearer to someone who just installed the game

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 02:09

Nordfriese wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

In my editor I spot one port space left.

With that I have uploaded map to the site. Hope you're fine with that! face-smile.png

Thanks face-smile.png

When king_of_nowhere uploads a new version of No Metal Challenge, I'll make a branch with that, Long Long Way v2,

Would you mind if I would replace the Steppe Terrain of Long Long Way by meadow1 or something like this before the branch? Steppe Terrain reduces the fun, that's why I'd like to replace it.

, and an adjusted version of Astoria

-1 Why Astoria? It's just a huge unbalanced map like many others... With only 6.63 rating...

And I suggest to add also some further maps:

Rectangular Valley

Escher Goose-Fish

Cycles

Cycles need an improved UI for up to 16 player though...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 09:55

ok, done. I also updated the map description to be clearer to someone who just installed the game

Thanks face-smile.png

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

In my editor I spot one port space left.

With that I have uploaded map to the site. Hope you're fine with that! face-smile.png

Thanks face-smile.png

When king_of_nowhere uploads a new version of No Metal Challenge, I'll make a branch with that, Long Long Way v2,

Would you mind if I would replace the Steppe Terrain of Long Long Way by meadow1 or something like this before the branch? Steppe Terrain reduces the fun, that's why I'd like to replace it.

Actually I would mind. Steppe is a terrain I like very much because trees grow well enough not to run short of wood but not as trivially well as on meadows. After expanding a bit you have access to the long ways which are made of meadow1 which is the best terrain for trees. So I'd prefer it to stay as it is.

-1 Why Astoria? It's just a huge unbalanced map like many others... With only 6.63 rating...

A good map for beginners: Unbalanced, yes, but also pretty easy – but mainly because it looks just very beautiful face-smile.png
Any other opinions on whether to have this map or not?

Rectangular Valley

Escher Goose-Fish

Sorry but I think that these maps are just plain boring. Flat maps with basically nothing there.

IMHO Rechteck-Tal is very similar to Crater in its design except flat and unnaturally angular. -1.

Escher Goose-Fish, mhh… if I get another +1 for this map I guess…

Cycles

As long as we don't have the improved UI, a map for >8 players should not be made official IMHO.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 14:17

Nordfriese wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Actually I would mind. Steppe is a terrain I like very much because trees grow well enough not to run short of wood but not as trivially well as on meadows. After expanding a bit you have access to the long ways which are made of meadow1 which is the best terrain for trees. So I'd prefer it to stay as it is.

I'd like to hear opinions of others about this

A good map for beginners: Unbalanced, yes, but also pretty easy – but mainly because it looks just very beautiful face-smile.png Any other opinions on whether to have this map or not?

It looks like it could have been generated with the map random generator (mainly), what is the point of adding such a map to the pool?

It's quite similar to riverlands, main differences are the player number and that it is an island map, which is also a disadvantage.

(Edit: Furthermore, if we already add Europe to the pool we already have one more big unbalanced seafaring map with optical advantages)

Rectangular Valley

Escher Goose-Fish

Sorry but I think that these maps are just plain boring. Flat maps with basically nothing there.

That might be your opinion, but there are also other opinions...

IMHO Rechteck-Tal is very similar to Crater in its design except flat and unnaturally angular. -1.

... and we don't have any balanced flat 1vs1-map so far in the pool, so this would increase diversity.

Plus, it has more symmetry, size and resources than Crater. Lack of symmetry and resources are weaknesses of Crater.

Oh, and there are some 1vs1-maps which we should drop maybe, for example volcanic winter, fire games and lake of tranquility...

Cycles

As long as we don't have the improved UI, a map for >8 players should not be made official IMHO.

What about an 8 player version of the map?

Maybe we should wait for more opinions before changing the map pool?

Edited: 2020-03-14, 14:23

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 22:08

I think that people play the game for different reasons, but any maps included need to be the cream of the crop. They need to both function well and look beautiful, and the current maps meet these criteria. I certainly don't have a problem with special "challenge" or unbalanced maps, but those with only a minimal consideration for aesthetics serve to detract from the quality of the game as a whole. Perhaps effort would be better spent curating a set of map packs for players of specific play styles to download at their choice.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-14, 23:28

simplypeachy wrote:

Perhaps effort would be better spent curating a set of map packs for players of specific play styles to download at their choice.

I used to have such a set. Unfortunately I don't have a server for that and time to fill the packages with newest maps.

And as far as I remember, the usage of this was quite minimal. Few downloads every month.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-15, 16:22

I fully agree with simplypeachy's post.

I have played Rectangular Valley and found it also plain and boring. Escher goose fish is flat but not that boring from my point of view.

And in case of Astoria one may can just read the comments to know what other people think of this map face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-15, 18:44

then again, some people may find a flat, symmetrical map to be aesthetically pleasing for the composition.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-20, 22:23

WorldSavior wrote:

Oh, and there are some 1vs1-maps which we should drop maybe, for example volcanic winter, fire games and lake of tranquility...

I rather like Firegames. And while I never play Lake of Tranquility because it doesn't fit my playing style it is still a nice map. But Volcanic Winter will not be missed (at least by me). Impact is another candidate IMHO. I'd like to hear more opinions before removing any maps though.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-21, 00:01

king_of_nowhere wrote:

then again, some people may find a flat, symmetrical map to be aesthetically pleasing for the composition.

Me for example

Nordfriese wrote:

Impact is another candidate IMHO. I'd like to hear more opinions before removing any maps though.

+1 for replacing impact

Top Quote