Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-03-12, 21:44

That is good idea especially since sometimes the stock window gets closed and when you reopen it it defaults to Tab 1 (total). I've found the warehouse tab to far more useful so far. BTW will the workers tabs be switched also? That way warehouse are 1,2 and totals 3,4.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 06:02

I haven't switched anything, just activated the 3rd tab when the window opens.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 07:52

GunChleoc wrote:

Hm, from a UI perspective this isn't what one would expect if a window with tabs get opened. This would be the first window in this game where the first tab isn't activated, so it breaks usual behavior.

I think switching the tabs (1. Wares in warehouses, 2. workers in warehouses, 3. wares overall, 4. workers overall) is also uncommon.

What about having two windows of wares statistics:

1. Wares overall
  2. Wares in warehouses

Does someone uses the first and second tab in this statistic at all? Maybe those tabs can just be removed?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 10:12

I guess the information how many wares you have in total can be useful at times… but not so prominently placed. Having two windows wouldn't make sense imho. But this:

I think switching the tabs (1. Wares in warehouses, 2. workers in warehouses, 3. wares overall, 4. workers overall) is also uncommon.

I don't think it's uncommon at all, I'd vote for changing the tabs order like this.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 11:48

If finding a reasonable order for the tabs is causing so much trouble, just make the tabs switchable in a circular way. Active tab may always in first (or second?) position. If the next tab is chosen, its position is shifted left and the first gets moved to the end.

Of course, this would be the maximum possible codework for this change...

Edited: 2020-03-13, 11:48

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 15:08

An alternative way of doing this could be to have only 2 tabs and a checkbox "Show only wares/workers in warehouses".

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 18:28

niektory wrote:

An alternative way of doing this could be to have only 2 tabs and a checkbox "Show only wares/workers in warehouses".

Really good idea, lots of games are like that. Only it should either be a checkbox for totals or else the checkbox would need to be selected by default. : )

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 19:16

niektory wrote:

This is also possible, yes. The checkbox should be close to the tabs.

JanO wrote:

If finding a reasonable order for the tabs is causing so much trouble, just make the tabs switchable in a circular way. Active tab may always in first (or second?) position. If the next tab is chosen, its position is shifted left and the first gets moved to the end.

No good solution imho

Nordfriese wrote:

I guess the information how many wares you have in total can be useful at times… but not so prominently placed. Having two windows wouldn't make sense imho.

Two windows could also be a solution if it's like this:

1. The current window, but by default the third tab is chosen

2. A copy of the current window, by default the first tab is chosen and it has another button of the keyboard, not "i"

The advantage would be that one could look at two things the same time

But this:

I don't think it's uncommon at all, I'd vote for changing the tabs order like this.

I'm against changing the order because it could be confusing, which is worse than the fact that a third tab is the default at one window.

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

Hm, from a UI perspective this isn't what one would expect if a window with tabs get opened. This would be the first window in this game where the first tab isn't activated, so it breaks usual behavior.

Or one is flexible and doesn't expect it that a new window shows always the first tab face-wink.png

Does someone uses the first and second tab in this statistic at all?

Yes, both

Maybe those tabs can just be removed?

no

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-13, 19:40

JanO wrote:

No good solution imho

-1 from me on this one, because it messes up everybody's muscle memory. I still remember how much I hated it when Office decided to show the most recently used menu entries on top. They removed the feature with the version after that, because I wasn't the only one cursing at the screen.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote