Latest Posts

Topic: making farmers consistent

hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 13:57

In the recent discussion at forumtopic it got evident that the atlantean farmers behave different from the other 3 tribes.

the difference is that only atlanteans can use more spaces for planting fields as they are NOT blocked from other buildings and they can plant at the shore as well.
other tribes can't use any of the spots in a configuration like this while atlanteans can (although they have only a radius of 2 instead of 3)

example screenshot

now there is the question if we should harmonise it in the way the atlanteans do or the way the other tribes do.

Current standing from the other topic is:

do it like atlanteans (+2, WorldSavior, King_of_Nowhere)
do it like the others (+2, Nordfriese, stonerl)

what do you think?

Edited: 2020-02-16, 14:22

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 14:00

Yes, seems interesting

like Atlanteans or maybe Frisians, and maybe either more space or that they plant more fields, like 6-9. It looks amazing if you take your first look at the game after continuing a savegame and seeing really farms, working settlers everywhere. 3 fields per farm do look a bit karg strange

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 14:22

the-x wrote:

Yes, seems interesting

like Atlanteans or maybe Frisians, and maybe either more space or that they plant more fields, like 6-9. It looks amazing if you take your first look at the game after continuing a savegame and seeing really farms, working settlers everywhere. 3 fields per farm do look a bit karg strange

Sorry did you read and understand my post?

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 14:30

Sure, but with farms i only the building blocked wouldnt change much. Since farms with only three fields look mathematically but to the viewer he still sees only 3 fields which looks really not so nice as it could be. I mean its not a personal thing if 6-9 fields are better or 3 its the Wusel-Faktor or aestetics

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 14:38

the-x wrote:

Sure,

I don't hink so. the problem is that some fields normally usable for fields by a farmer are blocked by neighboring buildings for barbarians, empire and frisians. I opened this thread to only discuss one question: whether we should do it one way or the other, cause the question got covered by a lot of discussion in the other thread so your un related posts about what looks nice only tend to clutter this thread again.

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 17:26

I think Atlantean model should be applied to all but with one condition: field shouldn't be plantable if the location has more than 1/6 of water surface.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 17:47

with one condition: field shouldn't be plantable if the location has more than 1/6 of water surface.

That's already more strict than the current impl face-wink.png

The current implementations are:

• Atlanteans: Accept all nodes the worker can reach, without restrictions

• All others: Accept nodes where the worker can reach the node plus all six surrounding nodes. This means that five of the surrounding triangles may be water as long as the neighbours all touch a land triangle as well.

One relaxation suggestion I would be fine with could be that all tribes' farmers accept all walkable nodes where all surrounding nodes have walkable maxcaps (instead of nodecaps as now). That would mean that plots next to other buildings would be accepted while the rules for shore fields are unchanged. In the image in the first post, the farmer could then use all plots except those occupied by flags and buildings.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 17:52

Nordfriese wrote:

with one condition: field shouldn't be plantable if the location has more than 1/6 of water surface.

That's already more strict than the current impl face-wink.png

The current implementations are:

• Atlanteans: Accept all nodes the worker can reach, without restrictions

• All others: Accept nodes where the worker can reach the node plus all six surrounding nodes. This means that five of the surrounding triangles may be water as long as the neighbours all touch a land triangle as well.

One relaxation suggestion I would be fine with could be that all tribes' farmers accept all walkable nodes where all surrounding nodes have walkable maxcaps (instead of nodecaps as now). That would mean that plots next to other buildings would be accepted while the rules for shore fields are unchanged. In the image in the first post, the farmer could then use all plots except those occupied by flags and buildings.

+1 from my side for this solution.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 18:59

Personally I'm fine with either, but the Atlantean way is more intuitive for beginners so it should probably be preferred.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 19:45

hessenfarmer wrote:

the difference is that only atlanteans can use more spaces for planting fields as they are NOT blocked from other buildings and they can plant at the shore as well.
other tribes can't use any of the spots in a configuration like this while atlanteans can (although they have only a radius of 2 instead of 3)

what do you think?

I also like the Atlantean way more but we need at least radius 3, never do 2 or 1, this looks not so nice in the game later. Moreover we should think to make farms with more fields, in a new thread? but we need this, if you look at your farmers only having 1,2 or sometimes 3 fields, this is one point i disagree hessenfarmer, this doesnt look nice, nor realistic. I mean nowadys i build my farm next to the mill inbetween roads trees and a sawmill but it still works 100%, farms should be placed outside.

Top Quote