Latest Posts

Topic: a problem with frisian graphics (to not repeat with amazons)

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-06, 00:27

I always had trouble telling frisian building by glance, and now i realized why: they are all very similar.

buildings from other tribes are very differentiated instead. sawmills show machinery. taverns/inns show tables on the outside. mills are... mills. and so on. it's erasy to tell them apart.

with frisians it's not the case. they are all homes made in northern european style, m ost of them are very similar. i assume those of you who have been using them a long time have gotten used to them. perhaps the problem is compounded because i'm seeing frisian graphics while playing amazons, so buildings are also unrelated and only have a temporary graphics.

and i'm definitely not suggesting to redraw them, i'd hate to have that attitude with work that people have provided for free.

but i think it will be important when drawing amazons to give visual clues to help differentiate buildings. Speaking of which, f it's not too much of a bother, i would add a machete hanging from a wall of the liana cutter, or something similar; otherwise it's a very generic small hut. And the water gatherer should have buckets

oh, i was forgetting to add: frisians have no evade promotions, but their soldiers all show 3 red dots in therelative space over their heads. don't know if it's a bug or a visual glitch or wht else.

Edited: 2020-02-06, 00:39

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-06, 09:12

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I always had trouble telling frisian building by glance, and now i realized why: they are all very similar.

buildings from other tribes are very differentiated instead. sawmills show machinery. taverns/inns show tables on the outside. mills are... mills. and so on. it's erasy to tell them apart.

with frisians it's not the case. they are all homes made in northern european style, m ost of them are very similar. i assume those of you who have been using them a long time have gotten used to them. perhaps the problem is compounded because i'm seeing frisian graphics while playing amazons, so buildings are also unrelated and only have a temporary graphics.

and i'm definitely not suggesting to redraw them, i'd hate to have that attitude with work that people have provided for free.

but i think it will be important when drawing amazons to give visual clues to help differentiate buildings. Speaking of which, f it's not too much of a bother, i would add a machete hanging from a wall of the liana cutter, or something similar; otherwise it's a very generic small hut. And the water gatherer should have buckets

Although I do not agree completely as some of the frisian buildings are quite good to differentiate due to them being more animated and only some are not that easy due to low visibility of their visible attributes (especially the small buildings), I fully support that wish for the amazons.

oh, i was forgetting to add: frisians have no evade promotions, but their soldiers all show 3 red dots in therelative space over their heads. don't know if it's a bug or a visual glitch or wht else.

That is a glitch only in your amazons version and has been fixed recently due to being reported by WorldSavior. It has never been in trunk. (Must have been a copy operation gone wrong due to mishap n my side, sorry)

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 13:03

Speaking of which, f it's not too much of a bother, i would add a machete hanging from a wall of the liana cutter, or something similar; otherwise it's a very generic small hut. And the water gatherer should have buckets

Done

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 15:45

I have pushed a set of walkload anims for the amazon carrier, do you like the concept?

Edited: 2020-02-07, 15:47

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 16:24

Well, I don't understand what the bottom of the graphic should represent.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 16:28

Nordfriese wrote:

Speaking of which, f it's not too much of a bother, i would add a machete hanging from a wall of the liana cutter, or something similar; otherwise it's a very generic small hut. And the water gatherer should have buckets

Done

Had a quick look on Github. water gatherer seems to be pretty distinguishable now (perhaps the water tanks could have been somewhat bigger but they are ok). However I couldn't hardly see even in the scale 4 image any Machete or liana so we might need some external Liana holder or something bigger then the machete to distinguish. Maybe some kind of clothesline with liana dangling around there or similar.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 16:51

The machetes for the liana cutters hut are standing in the two triangles on the porch. A bit small, but if I make them bigger they look oversized.

The carrier is wearing a long dress that is floating around her (didn't choose the best perspective for the image above). Inspired somewhat by the atlantean spiderbreeder

Question: Shouldn't the water gatherers hut better be operated by a worker that uses a basket or at least a stonebowl as a tool, because I don't see how a toolless worker is supposed to gather water…?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 17:30

Nordfriese wrote:

The machetes for the liana cutters hut are standing in the two triangles on the porch. A bit small, but if I make them bigger they look oversized.

I fully recognized this but first they look still like Scythes (which I may have chosen as placeholder) and second they would be too small anyway, Therefore we need something better visible in the game like f.e. the clothesline thing or any other well distinguishable feature

The carrier is wearing a long dress that is floating around her (didn't choose the best perspective for the image above). Inspired somewhat by the atlantean spiderbreeder

actually I don't think a long robe fits well in the jungle. I was thinking all the time of something like Xena or wonder woman style with les emphasis on the sexappeal of their costumes. However just giving them some short robes with visible feet might do the trick as well.

Question: Shouldn't the water gatherers hut better be operated by a worker that uses a basket or at least a stonebowl as a tool, because I don't see how a toolless worker is supposed to gather water…?

Best would be to have a new tool "Bucket" made from rubber and balsa or log. Then the need for rubber for the building could be reduced.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 17:59

Nordfriese wrote:

As other tribes' wells show us, water in Widelands comes with buckets already included face-wink.png

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 18:40

actually I don't think a long robe fits well in the jungle. I was thinking all the time of something like Xena or wonder woman style with les emphasis on the sexappeal of their costumes. However just giving them some short robes with visible feet might do the trick as well.

Okay more like this?

Edited: 2020-02-07, 18:41

Attachment:
Renders0031.png

Top Quote