the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 18:17

Maybe we can delete this post since there is a similar which is better

-

For maps, i see a huge mistake which affects the gameplay

It is extremely important how you set ressurces. In 80% of the maps there is just gold iron coal everywhere. it doesnt even matter if you play or not only thing is to send your geologues and finish.

In my opinion it should be this way: The beginning you find like 30 coal / iron in total, not more and then on strategicial positions there are more, iron could be easier to find, cause its more necessary and gold much rather. gold is a material, a raw material - some maps there is just gold everywhere or gold 30% which destroys a lot of developing / strategies and thinkful players.

For tips, try the following parameters:

50% Coal

30% Stone

15% Iron

5% Gold

anything else leeds to massive gold overflow

Edited: 2020-02-16, 23:05

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 19:01

the-x wrote: In 80% of the maps there is just gold iron coal everywhere.

And I love that face-smile.png

In my opinion it should be this way: The beginning you find like 30 coal / iron in total, not more and then on strategicial positions there are more, iron could be easier to find, cause its more necessary and gold much rather. gold is a material, a raw material - some maps there is just gold everywhere or gold 30% which destroys a lot of developing / strategies and thinkful players.

Go ahead and make such a map, if you want. Or better don't: There might be already maps like that. There are much more maps online than needed. You are able to create much more valuable content: Videos.

5% Gold

anything else leeds to massive gold overflow, many gold resources you just dont need and players building mines without thinking.

Gold is important for the mode "collectors", I had already huge fun with that mode.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 19:09

the-x wrote:

For maps, i see a huge mistake which affects the gameplay for every player, beginner, pro in every game

personal preferences in playing widelands are as widespread as there are players I believe. Therefore one can't generally speak of a mistake. I strongly believe every mapmaker has his own thoughts and preferences what to achieve with a map.

Why do you set Ressources without thinking where you set them?

bullying people who add content to this game in such a harsh way is not acceptable in my eyes.
You may ask for a mapmaker to take your suggestions into account, but not shout at him like this. Perhaps you provide us with your own perfectly created map instead.

It is extremely important how you set ressurces. In 80% of the maps there is just gold iron coal everywhere. it doesnt even matter if you play or not only thing is to send your geologues and finish.

In my opinion it should be this way:

exactly. this is your opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 10:02

I'm not that familiar with our official maps - do we have one where resources are a bit scarce like described by OP? It would add variety to what we offer by default if we had such a map.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-16, 21:04

GunChleoc wrote:

I'm not that familiar with our official maps - do we have one where resources are a bit scarce like described by OP?

I'm not an expert for maps with low resources ( I prefer maps with huge resources), but it's definitely common on official maps that resources are not so easy to get. On many maps you need to invest a lot of resources to reach gold and/or iron, and on "Fellowships" you need to use charcoal burners and so on.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-21, 17:55

Thanks, I think we're good then face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-28, 00:11

Yes, Widelands is good face-wink.png

At the other hand, there exist some unofficial maps with a very high quality which is higher than most official maps. Who decides which maps become official and which are not supported anymore?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-28, 08:53

WorldSavior wrote:

Yes, Widelands is good face-wink.png

At the other hand, there exist some unofficial maps with a very high quality which is higher than most official maps. Who decides which maps become official and which are not supported anymore?

The users face-smile.png

Last time it was in year 2016

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-28, 20:35

If you wish to curate some maps to get some new ones in the game, I think that's a great idea face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-03, 16:29

I would like to propose the following maps:

• Astoria: very beautiful, though it might be advisable to remove the artefacts and add ferries

• Long long way: my favourite map face-smile.png long games, perfectly balanced, can get rather tricky in the late game, perhaps more port spaces would be good

• Europa: unbalanced but makes for interesting games, offers practically all difficulty levels from easy to quite tricky, plus it looks great

Top Quote