Latest Posts

Topic: Solution proposals for maritime shipping problems

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 09:16

I bet you played the same map which i have played: Tasmanian Black War face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 09:30

kaputtnik wrote:

I bet you played the same map which i have played: Tasmanian Black War face-smile.png

I am struggling with my ships on this map as well. It made the shortfalls really obvious. Very weird I have a port with over 150 items in the dock and a ship is idling nearby for over an hour.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 10:27

speaking of shipping, i noticed another weakness of the shipping algorithm: the incapability of recognizing that one ship doesn't have enough cargo hold to take all the wares. [...] the port should be taught to call a new ship when the amount of items to be shipped exceeds the capacity of a single one.

And now guess what I started to implement yesterday evening face-smile.png

So far scheuling decisions are still made spontaneously on demand. I am developing now that instead, the ShipFleet will keep a detailed schedule of which ship is sailing to which destination, when it will arrive there, how many wares it will unload there, and how many wares for which destinations will then be loaded. This will allow the fleet to detect on every update (= every 5 seconds) whether more ships are needed at a certain port, or whether a ship can skip calling at a certain port.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 10:29

@Nordfriese:
Many thanks for all the effort you put into the game.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 18:40

hessenfarmer wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

I am struggling with my ships on this map as well. It made the shortfalls really obvious. Very weird I have a port with over 150 items in the dock and a ship is idling nearby for over an hour.

yeah, the long distance involved makes the shortfalls of the boats more obvious. and more frustrating.

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-02-04, 22:33

Nice to see that the map is useful for development purposes too. I haven't had time to look at how to get b20 compiled. Is there any need to compare the behavior between build 19 and 20 because I think that while I got frustrated during my test plays, the reasons weren't completely identical, so propably some parts were better in the old algorithm and mixing both with some new additions offers the best performance?

If such a comparison makes any sense, then for a better comparability I could try to follow someone elses strategy and examine the outcome.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-05, 09:37

Solstice_s_Return wrote:

Nice to see that the map is useful for development purposes too. I haven't had time to look at how to get b20 compiled.

there should be no need to compile normally as we provide a lot of precompiled packages for linux, mac and windows. see the Download site https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Download/.

Is there any need to compare the behavior between build 19 and 20

In fact b20 is already nearly outdated so I beleive this doesn't make ny sense at all. I believe KoN, Me and probably kaputtmik as well are using some more the less actual development build for this. Unfortunately there are still huge problems in there.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-05, 18:32

and by the way, i noticed yet another glitch that would be minor without sea trade.

i have the toolsmith on a colony where i have most space for buildings. far away from the headquarter. and i have set both the headquarter and the port on its island to not receive wares.

but when i need a new worker close to the toolsmith, the toolsmith makes the tool, the tool is then transported all the way to the hq, where it is converted into a worker, and then sent again oversea where it was needed. sending the tool to the closer warehouse should suffice.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-05, 19:24

If you explicitly set your port to not accept shovels, then you shouldn't complain that it will not get any shovels… Since tools are used only for worker creation, it does not make sense to set them to 0 unless you want no workers to be created at that warehouse, IMHO.

Edit: wait did you say the hq should not accept tools either? what configuartion for tools do your warehouses have exactly?

Edited: 2020-02-05, 19:25

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-05, 19:57

Nordfriese wrote:

If you explicitly set your port to not accept shovels, then you shouldn't complain that it will not get any shovels… Since tools are used only for worker creation, it does not make sense to set them to 0 unless you want no workers to be created at that warehouse, IMHO.

Edit: wait did you say the hq should not accept tools either? what configuartion for tools do your warehouses have exactly?

the port that is closer to the toolsmith accepts tools. it's the other, distant port that does not accept them, and neither does the hq. i set tools to 0, so the tool is put in the building only for a moment.

perhraps the glitch comes from this? maybe the code goes like "if there are no tools in stock, make the tool and send it to the warehouse that was created first".

because if i was accumulating tool, then there would be a stock of them in the nearby port, and they would not be sent overseas

Top Quote