One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-20, 19:56

Fixed now in master.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 17:51

I'm excited to try the ferries! I am not sure about the current decay feature. As it stands, a Ferry Yard will consume an unlimited amount of resources to create ferries if their routes are not used. When pack animals decay, they return to the economy and can be re-used. Could a ferry return to its yard when unused? Should they decay at all?

Not sure if you prefer bugs here or on Github (I'll repost there if you prefer) but a road that is connected only by waterways is not requesting Carriers, see attached.

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2020-02-03 17-48-47.png

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 18:04

the road isn't in the same worker economy. Ferries can't transport workers. so this is intended behaviour.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 18:12

hessenfarmer wrote:

the road isn't in the same worker economy. Ferries can't transport workers. so this is intended behaviour.

aha, so this explains the problem, thanks. The mechanic feels unintuitive. I'm used to roads between flags being part of the same economy, and my assumption was that ferries act as roads on water. I suppose one could ask "Why can a worker not take a ferry?"

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 18:17

simplypeachy wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

aha, so this explains the problem, thanks. The mechanic feels unintuitive. I'm used to roads between flags being part of the same economy, and my assumption was that ferries act as roads on water. I suppose one could ask "Why can a worker not take a ferry?"

game mechanics answer: because they should not be used to conquer new territory.
lore answer: cause they are to small to carry another worker as they just can carry one ware

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 21:06

The inability of ferries to carry workers is also explained in the tutorial. (I only tell the user never to forget this three times or so :P)

I am not sure about the current decay feature. As it stands, a Ferry Yard will consume an unlimited amount of resources to create ferries if their routes are not used. When pack animals decay, they return to the economy and can be re-used. Could a ferry return to its yard when unused? Should they decay at all?

In my opinion, they shouldn´t decay. The only reason I implemented it is that otherwise ferries would be unremovable. And a Ferry Window with a Sink button would be overkill.

Originally I had envisioned a kind of "Ferry Depot" which would have been a building near the shore with a platform floating on water attached to it. But I quickly realized that this would be nearly impossible to code. The Ferry Yard is an ordinary productionsite built near the shore, so I don´t see how "unemployed ferries return to a depot if there still is one" could be implemented, but suggestions are welcome face-smile.png

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 21:17

One option could be that we have an extra economy setting were we can limit the number of ferries. Or we have a maximum number of ferries that a ferriy yard can produce.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-02-03, 22:55

Nordfriese wrote:

The inability of ferries to carry workers is also explained in the tutorial. (I only tell the user never to forget this three times or so :P)

Whoops, I was unaware there was a tutorial! I'll go and find it face-smile.png

In my opinion, they shouldn´t decay. The only reason I implemented it is that otherwise ferries would be unremovable. And a Ferry Window with a Sink button would be overkill.

Originally I had envisioned a kind of "Ferry Depot" which would have been a building near the shore with a platform floating on water attached to it. But I quickly realized that this would be nearly impossible to code. The Ferry Yard is an ordinary productionsite built near the shore, so I don´t see how "unemployed ferries return to a depot if there still is one" could be implemented, but suggestions are welcome face-smile.png

I guess if ferries can be somehow integrated into the ware economy then their production and "excess" storage can be handled by existing logic. One could then set an economy target for them. The only way this would work with the current game is if they went to Ports when they are no longer needed, and were stored until demand, but as it stands, accessible ports may not exist. The Ferry Yards exist as a logical island at the moment. They create their five ferries, which as a group are completely independent of the ware economy.

Since a waterway has a fixed maximum length, perhaps one ferry could be generated per waterway? Once the waterway is removed then perhaps the ferry is destroyed, perhaps not.

_aD on IRC

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 09:20

How about having a spinbox at the ferry yard for the max amount of unassigned ferries per ferry fleet served?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-07, 11:11

Good idea face-smile.png But a bit tricky to implement:
This would have to be implemented by searching for water nodes within the workarea when a ferryyard is completed, and creating a FerryFleet within every water area. Currently the "positions" of a fleet are defined as the positions of all contained ferries and waterways, so such a fleet would be invisible for ferryfleets newly created by new ferries and WWs. Also, fleets without any ferries and WWs will self-destruct immediately. So we would need some kind of sizeless placeholder mapobject that serves as a position for a ferryfleet. Ideally it should be connected with the ferryyard so the yard's spinbox(es) set this number per fleet rather than per yard. (like economy settings, but for ferryfleets)

Also, if a ferryyard is next to several oceans, it will still build ferries in an arbitrary ocean if at least one of them needs ferries.

Top Quote