Latest Posts

Topic: Solution proposals for maritime shipping problems

Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-31, 22:21

Nordfriese wrote:

Nope. In Widelands, every ware and worker recalculates the entire route at every single flag. No item in transfer even remembers the full route, only the next one step.

I had to check the code, you are right, I did not know it. But then it should be very easy to implement congestion-avoiding logic, it just needs to consider count of wares on subsequent flags...

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-31, 22:30

This is already done partly as well: If the next flag is pretty crowded, the ware will wait at its current flag until it´s allowed to enter the road.

IMHO an improvement here would be that each flag and each road keeps a statistics about how busy it is, and the pathfinder should penalize roads and flags with high traffic

Edited: 2020-01-31, 22:34

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-31, 22:35

Nordfriese wrote:

This is already done partly as well. If the next flag is pretty crowded, the ware will wait at its current flag until it´s allowed to enter the road.

If the next flag is full, the ware is not carried there anyway....

IMHO an improvement here would be that each flag and each road keeps a statistics about how busy it is, and the pathfinder should penalize roads and flags with high traffic

Is not the count of wares on flag sufficient indicator of traffic? In fact in case of congestion everything is stuck and roads are not busy at all (= no transport is being done|.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 00:47

One possible solution is an option for all warehouse-type structures to have a tab for its own ware targets. This would help alleviate the shipping problem as well as that on larger maps with distant warehouses. By default a warehousey structure would work as it does today, but one could click to the Target tab, which would list wares and workers, each set to zero by default, and could increment/decrement them to have the warehouse request the items from the economy. This would also mean no need to have "split economies", or complicate ship/port features.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 08:55

simplypeachy wrote:

One possible solution is an option for all warehouse-type structures to have a tab for its own ware targets. This would help alleviate the shipping problem as well as that on larger maps with distant warehouses. By default a warehousey structure would work as it does today, but one could click to the Target tab, which would list wares and workers, each set to zero by default, and could increment/decrement them to have the warehouse request the items from the economy. This would also mean no need to have "split economies", or complicate ship/port features.

But keep in mind that we already have priority for wares low/normal/high and this would interfere with your proposal - which is not bad though.

Also as I mentioned few posts above - high priority for wares (on a warehouse) evenly distributes the ware across all warehouses with high priority for the particular ware

EDIT: One reason against your proposal - we have economy targets for a ware and having separate and unconnected targets for individual warehouses would interfere and lead to misunderstandings.

Edited: 2020-02-01, 10:33

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 10:39

simplypeachy wrote:

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 11:16

I think player don't have enough control in the game to do good decisions with ware targets or with stockpiling and these also require a lot of micromanagement especially with big multi-island economies. That's why I suggest just implementing one button there (in storage buildings). That button is used to demand a fraction of the economy there. The game should count the total amount of warehouses in player's economy and bring only the fraction that rightfully belongs there. The button could also have several states like traffic light indicator of priority in buildings. By clicking the button player could toggle its color from no color to green, yellow, red and finally back to no color. In red the fraction is tripled, while with no color there's no fraction demand at all. This system should ensure that economy does not suffer elsewhere while getting benefits where player feels it necessary. It also aims to keep micromanagement as low as possible.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 11:25

That´s essentially the same as the stock policy buttons. "Prefer" policy means that a warehouse gets more than its share, the rest of wares is distributed among "Normal" policy warehouses. "Dontstock" and "Remove" policies reduce the fraction to 0%.

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 12:01

Nordfriese wrote:

That´s essentially the same as the stock policy buttons. "Prefer" policy means that a warehouse gets more than its share, the rest of wares is distributed among "Normal" policy warehouses. "Dontstock" and "Remove" policies reduce the fraction to 0%.

So "Prefer" button does it intelligently? If so then it is better than I thought. At least I did not get that feeling when I tried it last time.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-02-01, 12:06

Solstice_s_Return wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

So "Prefer" button does it intelligently? If so then it is better than I thought. At least I did not get that feeling when I tried it last time.

I believe there is nothing like "its share" and wares are always distributed to a preferred warehouse - if there is at least one.

Top Quote