Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Technical Issues / technische Verbesserungen

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-16, 10:35
  • Menu items must be enlarged. The command to attack does not show which upgrades the soldier has at a distance of 0.5 m from the screen. In addition, the button for attacking is very small, so that often requires you to grumble with the mouse. Suggestion: Quadruple the width and length (4x)!

• You have to somehow be able to set the training camp up to which level the units are trained. It is tedious, especially in longer games, to send soldiers away again and again and to click through by hand the appropriate soldier who fits the desired level of training.

-

• Menüpunkte müssen vergrößert werden. Man sieht beim Angriffsbefehl nicht auf 0,5 m Entfernung zum Bildschirm welche Upgrades der jeweilige Soldat hat. Außerdem ist der Button für Angreifen viel zhu klein, so dass das oft ein gepfrimel mit der Maus erfordert. Vorschlag: Breite und Länge jeweils vervierfachen (4x)!

• Man muss irgendwie beim Ausbildungslager einstellen können, bis zu welcher Stufe jeweils die Einheiten trainiert werden. Es ist mühselig besonders in längeren Spielen, immer wieder Soldaten wegzuschicken und per Hand den entsprechenden Soldaten durchzuklicken, der zur gewünschten Ausbildungsstufe passt.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-16, 11:14

I believe this is dependent on sreen resolution. Which resolution did you play?
Problem is that we still support low res of e.g. Netbooks so on them a bigger display would fill all the screen. As we have now the zoom feature you might try to reduce the resolution of the screen and zoom out instead so you have bigger buttons in relation.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-16, 16:14

Sometimes I play on 4K, sometimes on HD.

I think we can really forget resolution like 720p and lower, since no one really plays on them. Zoom feature works very nice, problem: the textures are not so clear anymore when you zoom and main problem is the window when you try to attack an building, this must be a lot larger (especially on 4k)

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-16, 16:33

I think we should aim at autoscaling according to the screen resolution.
Good thing is it is already recorded as issue on github see
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/1294 and
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3392

Bad thing there isn't any progress yet due to shortage of devs.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-17, 21:41

I think we can really forget resolution like 720p and lower, since no one really plays on them.

I usually play at 960×600 resolution, where I would prefer it if the windows and buttons were a bit smaller so I can see the map properly. IMHO it should be possible to define a scaling factor in the options that can scale up as well as down.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-18, 10:01

Nordfriese wrote:

I think we can really forget resolution like 720p and lower, since no one really plays on them.

It should be possible to define a scaling factor in the options that can scale up as well as down.

Absolutely

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-18, 19:38

the-x wrote:

Oh I don't think so.

Aren't the screens of tablets rather small? Widelands could theoretically be played on a tablet.

the-x wrote:

• You have to somehow be able to set the training camp up to which level the units are trained. It is tedious, especially in longer games, to send soldiers away again and again and to click through by hand the appropriate soldier who fits the desired level of training.

Well, soldiers leave the trainingssite sooner or later when they are not completely trained and when there are no further wares. So is this option really necessary?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-01-22, 13:37

Regarding small resolutions. I sometimes play Widelands in Window-Mode 800×600 in there fore even these small resolutions need to be considered IMHO.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-22, 14:37

stonerl wrote:

Regarding small resolutions. I sometimes play Widelands in Window-Mode 800×600 in there fore even these small resolutions need to be considered IMHO.

Thats fully understandable, but why should we play today on 600p, if there is HD? I mean its everyones own decision ... but hey, today even smartphones have HD.

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-01-22, 14:50

Because we can face-smile.png Besides that, resolutions aren't the main focus anymore. It's all about scaling. My Macbook has a resolution of 2569× 1600 but I always scale it so that it appears as if the resolution would be 1280×800 which is much easier on my eyes especially on a 13" display. The main problem is that scaling on Window still s*cks and on Linux a little less. The blurry textures should be gone as soon as all textures use mipmaps.

We also cannot just increase/scale the UI elements since the graphics also need to be reworked: icons, windows borders and so on...

Top Quote