Latest Posts

Topic: Balancing

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-04, 09:08

WorldSavior wrote:

the-x wrote: - We still need to find small imrpovements to make levelling the first stages cheaper and faster and on the highest levels more expensive and also complicated

Actually levelling at the first stages is cheaper than on the highest levels, and also stronger, and less complicated.

the-x wrote: My idea above is more about making more strategies possible. And by the actual version i think its optimal to play this build against any player who you know makes hero build.

Of course there is already a tradeoff whoch means strategies but i see much more fun if upgrading isnt linear. I could decide to attack after the 2nd attack improvement, just cause i know that my enemy will invest in his next costly step which needs him some time, not the fast standard hero build, cause they are really strong, once you have heros there is no counter anymore to heros. only if you have built faster heros before ... (but then the enym doenst have a counter to your fast hero build). If now we are at minute 40 and i decide to build "evade 2" because i see you going full "attack" - this leads to crazy new strategies and fun during the game cause with scouts i can see parts of what you are doing. but randomly and onlony parts. Or if you build "health" i try to get my soldiers another upgrade - as fast as possible - i try to eco up which is the perfect counter fpr your upgrade. I try to make my attack before you can do the counter.

And the best thing is: we have everything already in our game, we dont need any graphics any programming for "evade" or "attack" we only need to make costs of the last stage more expensive so you think before you upgrade. at the moment i upragde automatically everytime the same way cause i know that this works, i dont really think about chaning anything depending what the other player does. In fact I play every time the same game because I know i win all games with it. If I first have to scout what my enemy does, think, change my strategy it makes so many dieffernt startegies and so much new fun.

I think this is mainly the key point I want to improve. If there are any cons, please tell me.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-04, 10:06

actually there are lot of cons already discussed in several threads.
Your proposed changes would only make a difference on very small maps with early contact. There it would encourage early rushes or kind of zerg-rushes.
As widelands is designed to have an automatic soldier building and upgrading system there is basically no concept in my eyes like reacting on what your opponent does. especially as you can't see the micromangement necessary to circumvent the autmatics by just scouting. It would be necessary to look at the settings of the actual buildings. So there is no chance to have such concept nor do I favora change to make it possible.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-04, 12:12

Well actually it affects all kind of maps, especially medium to large ones, cause if the last "evade" or "attack" stage costs much, you may also thing about first producing more medium advanced units where your enemy decides to out all ressources in. And for small maps its definitely necessary to make interesting games happen.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-03, 13:12

the-x wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

the-x wrote:

These are just ideas to make a great game even greater for beginner same as pro player

• Speed: double usual speed, to make make the beginning more interesting, half speed of soldiers that widelands is no "stress" - soldiers move with 1/2 or 1/4 speed --> you see the attack and have time to react while economy works fast enught that games dont last 4 hours

An alternative solution to having more advance warning would be to increase buildings' vision ranges.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-14, 19:16

Another reason for these changes are, that at the moment it doesnt even matter if you imrove your soldier in "evade" or "attack" - cause its only numbers. Nothing more. We can easily implement a circle system which mades a>b>c which means that you will strategecially decide which upgrade you do, thinking or betting what you expect your opponent to do.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-14, 20:12

the-x wrote:

Another reason for these changes are, that at the moment it doesnt even matter if you imrove your soldier in "evade" or "attack" - cause its only numbers. Nothing more.

Believe me it is a difference if you improve evade or attack. Or health or defense. Cause some values are influenced by random function some are not. But it depends on what are the strength and weakness of your tribe and of your opponent.

We can easily implement a circle system which mades a>b>c which means that you will strategecially decide which upgrade you do, thinking or betting what you expect your opponent to do.

Top Quote