Latest Posts

Topic: Did I Make My AI Opponent Too Impotent?

mark76
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-12-28, 12:16

I wanted a fairly easy game for the early stages so I set the AI to weak. Unfortunately this seems to have resulted in a rival faction (Imperials) who aren't doing anything interesting. They're certainly not threatening me and I have no desire to threaten them, but it'd be nice if they tried to expand a little harder. I even got to take a whole island full of resources without any competition (Together We're Stronger).

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-28, 17:46

mark76 wrote:

I wanted a fairly easy game for the early stages so I set the AI to weak. Unfortunately this seems to have resulted in a rival faction (Imperials) who aren't doing anything interesting. They're certainly not threatening me and I have no desire to threaten them, but it'd be nice if they tried to expand a little harder. I even got to take a whole island full of resources without any competition (Together We're Stronger).

Well then the AI is probably just too weak. Don't know if it would change anything, but you could still switch the AI to normal:

• Load the game
  • Close the game
  • Watch that replay and create a save within the replay. This creates a multiplayer save game
  • Start a Multiplayer match - LAN / Direct IP - load there the match, set the AI to normal and continue playing alone if you wish.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-29, 17:19

mark76 wrote:

If you want them to expand and not to fight you can use the peaceful mode with a normal AI.
Anyhow it would always be good to know which version someone is playing and to have a replay to see what was going on.
Otherwise debugging ends in guessing and is pretty much impossible.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-03, 15:17

If you want to have a stronger AI, you can also give it Trading Outpost as a starting condition. This will give the AI some free resources.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote