Latest Posts

Topic: Fixing Keyboard-Scrolling

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-10, 18:52

Currently, it isn't updated. Will happen within the next couple of days. I'll keep you updated.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-10, 19:11

stonerl wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

Scrolling distance is now 1/4 of the screen resolution in x/y-direction and set to smooth.

Sounds fast. One day I might test it. Thanks a lot!

You have Ubuntu, haven't you? You could use Flatpaks to use the latest development builds.

No.

trimard wrote:

• Not sure what home should be doing anyway

Going to initial position I guess, like "Pos1" face-grin.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-10, 19:18

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

Scrolling distance is now 1/4 of the screen resolution in x/y-direction and set to smooth.

You have Ubuntu, haven't you? You could use Flatpaks to use the latest development builds.

No.

Well, if you have Linux you can use Flatpaks. That's what I intended to say. face-smile.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-10, 19:41

stonerl wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

No.

Well, if you have Linux you can use Flatpaks. That's what I intended to say. face-smile.png

Thanks. But Flatpak didn't work, it just consumed a lot of time, like self-compiling. PPA was much better...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-10, 19:48

WorldSavior wrote:

Thanks. But Flatpak didn't work, it just consumed a lot of time, like self-compiling. PPA was much better...

That's only for the first installation because all dependencies need to be installed. When upgrading it is as fast as PPA.

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-11, 11:25

The latest Flatpak is available for testing.

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-12-11, 15:15

Thanks! Very cool! BTW no idea how, but it would be nice to know when the flatpak is updated and all. Maybe in the wiki? I dunno. Yes we can still check the version we have with the version on github, but maybe something easier?

Indeed the navigation works well as expected but:

• we feel too much the "step", not sure if that was intended but it makes the game much less smoother. It's kinda helped by the shift and ctrl key (which should definitely be kept, nice feature). It feels like there is some latency between the press of the button and the movement of the camera.

• up + down arrows and all, are hard to realize in this context. I often press a key or another too soon so it goes one way, and not diagonals.

Rest is pretty cool:

• Home button meant going to HQ, yes that's nice indeed

• diagonals works well with the numpad buttons

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-11, 15:51

trimard wrote:

Thanks! Very cool! BTW no idea how, but it would be nice to know when the flatpak is updated and all. Maybe in the wiki? I dunno. Yes we can still check the version we have with the version on github, but maybe something easier?

I have something in mind.

Indeed the navigation works well as expected but:

• we feel too much the "step", not sure if that was intended but it makes the game much less smoother. It's kinda helped by the shift and ctrl key (which should definitely be kept, nice feature). It feels like there is some latency between the press of the button and the movement of the camera.

I know what you mean. Before the change scrolling was 10 pixels per button press and the game "jumped" to the new position. Now, by default, we move 1/8th of the screen resolution. If you run the game in 800×600 this translates to 80 pixels left/right and 60 pixels up/down. If we use the old transition (jumping) it would feel less smooth. But yes, there is still some room for improvement. face-smile.png

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-12-11, 15:56

Not possible to add something like 1/32 on button press and as long as you keep the button pressed add 1/64 every 0.1 sec? Depends on the fps?

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-11, 16:06

It doesn't depend on the fps anymore. The code that was used until build 20 hat frame dependent scrolling. But that had some problems as well. Now it is passed over to the key handler.

Top Quote