Latest Posts

Topic: A Map of the world

teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-10-22, 17:02

Is the goal to make it as realistic as possible?

If I was making the map, then all continents would be connected (like you can walk from Siberia to Alaska etc), even though that is somewhat unrealistic. This allows Territorial Lord win condition etc.

As we all know, Mother Earth is flat. Thus, it can't be that difficult, can it?

Using the maps of the flat earth society as a starting point?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-10-23, 12:58

teppo wrote:

Is the goal to make it as realistic as possible?

If I was making the map, then all continents would be connected (like you can walk from Siberia to Alaska etc), even though that is somewhat unrealistic. This allows Territorial Lord win condition etc.

it's possible even with unconnected lands if there are enough port spaces. the planet is big enough that it is unrealistic for a single player to gobble up all port spaces.

And anyway, if the map is made to scale, then the boering strait is narrow enough that a road can go over it.

Top Quote
NotYetTakenUserName
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-10-23, 18:30

I broke the interweb!

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/search?search_paths%5B%5D=&query=maps&submit=Go%21

An unexpected error occurred.
syntax error, unexpected end of file, expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) or ${ (T_DOLLAR_OPEN_CURLY_BRACES) or {$ (T_CURLY_OPEN)

So, the occurrence of errors can be unexpected? Never thought of it that way.

By now I'm somewhat familiar in using the editor.

Maps can be found here: https://www.welt-atlas.de/ But there are loads of other sources.

My first goal is to have a map resembling a well known planet. Rivers fjords, sounds and straits in Europe are by far too wide in my current approach. Having a navigable Baltic and Black Sea is nice. But is it really necessary? Next it should be playable but might end up being somewhat imbalanced. A walkable connection of all continents is on my list. Aleutian Islands will connect Asia and Northern America. Australia will be connected via Indonesia.

Having a lot of ports is on my list too. Not sure though, do naval attacks to a continent really work. Is sending troops via sea fast enough?

Currently. I have to either change the scale of my map or end up with a way too wide Atlantic Ocean.

Attachment:
Weltkarte.wmf.zip (26.1 KB)

It's my opinion, plus I don't share it.

Top Quote
NotYetTakenUserName
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-10-24, 17:56

NotYetTakenUserName wrote:

Is changing map_w="512" to map_w="400" considered harmful?

Anything but harmful, works like chocolate. But not exactly what I need. ;-}

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-10-26, 17:45

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it's possible even with unconnected lands if there are enough port spaces. the planet is big enough that it is unrealistic for a single player to gobble up all port spaces.

How? If the entire coastline is conquered, having portspaces here and there does not help. Maybe I missed something?

And anyway, if the map is made to scale, then the boering strait is narrow enough that a road can go over it.

Maybe there should not be port spaces in Antarctica.. Also Australia could accidentally become unavailable.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-10-26, 18:35

teppo wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

How? If the entire coastline is conquered, having portspaces here and there does not help. Maybe I missed something?

the map is so big that it is impossible to conquer the entire coastline before the other player can make a port somewhere

Top Quote
NotYetTakenUserName
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-10-27, 18:11

king_of_nowhere wrote: the map is so big that it is impossible to conquer the entire coastline before the other player can make a port somewhere Conquer the port. Assure your opponent about your appreciation of his effort building a port. face-wink.png

Somewhere I read about naval warfare. Might actually be a good thing for such a map.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-11-03, 11:32

NotYetTakenUserName wrote:

I'm not a bbcode expert. Plus I couldn't find an idiot-proof description on how to do an upload.

It looks to me like you found out now how to do the upload.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
NotYetTakenUserName
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-11-05, 05:04

Way too obvious. By far not complex enough for a simple brain. face-wink.png

Top Quote
Yo...
Version: 1.0 + 1.2
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-11-06, 23:56

Hi,

(first: sorry for spelling and grammar errors, English ist not my first language.)

I don't want to "hijack" this threat, but I also started more than a year ago to make a map of the world. The size is 512x256 but the latitude reaches from about 80 degrees north to 80 degrees south. So Greenland and Antarctica are partially included (oh, and the Falkland Islands of course, yipee face-wink.png ). My map ist still far away from complete. I didn't have much time for it in the last few months. So far there exist about the half of Europe, 99% of Africa and Australia + New Zealand, some parts of Asia (Middle East, southern coast), Antarctica and some islands (e.g. Indonesia, Phillipines, Japan, Madagascar, Iceland, Greenland, British Isles, Easter Island, Hawaii).

Most ressources are still missing, there are just some hints for me, which kind of them should be where. Most Islands and some continents are or will be a bit larger than in reality and the oceans a bit smaller. There won't be land-bridges between Alaska and Sibiria, or Indonesia and Australia, or Gibraltar and Africa (and so on).

I guess the AI might have problems with the map but it is not mainly meant for single player games -- hopefully it still can be a challenge for a single player with certain start conditions (artifacts or autocrat?) and/or starting with a disadvantage (peaceful village?).

I don't see a problem to have two maps of the world. My map is already a bit different. I try to place the ressources (gold [+ silver, platinum, diamonds], iron [+ most other metals/ores], coal [+ oil, graphite, maybe uranium], maybe forests) as realistic as possible (if known). The 8 starting points for the tribes will be in Europe, northern Africa and Asia, the rest is no man's land. If it is possible in the future, maybe I'll place two additional tribes in other parts of Africa.

I guess I'll need about a year to finish the map (depends on how much time I'll have) -- and that doesn't mean, it is tested by then.

I'll upload my map here when it's possible (I need 5 posts).

Top Quote