Latest Posts

Topic: Fighting System

trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-09-23, 00:19

huh, I'm not too sure about your balance issue in the combat, but IMO you guys forget the principle factor at play here: the FUN FACTOR face-smile.png , we need some "nice to play with" new mechanics if we're having these kind of conversations (although I'm aware of the lack of C++ devs)

The idea of rock paper scisor for an army could be pretty cool, in some game. For example age of mythology kind of has the same system. You end up building a bit of each type of units, to be prepared against anything. It's fun, because there is a lot of micro. But there is none in widelands, well none that could be impacted by type of soldier: where you store soldiers, when to attack. Unless you have some ideas on how to impact that?

Some ideas:

• archers: we would need to have some kind of buff in the speed of soldiers then, which could be a special upgrade in a new building? Could be fun seeing a soldier run when he sees an archer!
  • magicians: that make a lot of damage to unarmored soldiers, and very little to armored. Specialy trained soldier, costly to build even one. Needs total of 5 objects before being created for example.
  • knights: they just go faster than soldiers, but have no promotion. Neat to steal some buidings. Same kind of requirements as mages but obviously one of the needed object is a horse face-wink.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-23, 04:10

I don't like the general idea of making several types of soldiers as it detracts from the goal of the game, which should be economy-oriented. it would put even more emphasis on military. but I have especially to reply on this

trimard wrote:

• knights: they just go faster than soldiers, but have no promotion. Neat to steal some buidings. Same kind of requirements as mages but obviously one of the needed object is a horse face-wink.png

atlanteans arre the only tribe that use horses as secondary carriers. barbarians use oxes, those at least have horns and could make for a decent mount. but imperial cavalry would then ride donkeys. And amazonians would ride to battle atop their war tapirs! :):):)

No, I'm not seeing it.

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-09-23, 10:29

I don't like the general idea of making several types of soldiers as it detracts from the goal of the game, which should be economy-oriented.

Yes yes I understand that, but if people want to change this goal at some point, I think they should focus on new interesting mechanics. Not on the balance (only secondarily).

I doubt any of these discussions will give up to new mechanics any time soon anyway seeing the lack of devs. I thought this topic was more in the line of a "long term changes" to the game. If we don't dream, the game won't ever change. And even though it's already a very good game, I think it has the potential to be so much better still.

atlanteans arre the only tribe that use horses as secondary carriers. barbarians use oxes, those at least have horns and could make for a decent mount. but imperial cavalry would then ride donkeys. And amazonians would ride to battle atop their war tapirs! :):):)

I'm seeing it so much! Ha! Let's agree to disagree on this one. Joke aside, you're right, we could very well have new buildings for creatures to ride for amazonian and imperial. Riding dragons would be cool for amazons!

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-10-02, 19:07

I would be against removing the current system and replacing it by your suggestions, but I'm not against implementing your suggestions as an optional variant of Widelands face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote