Latest Posts

Topic: More Ships

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-17, 09:13

And notice that Frisian soldiers evade only half as often (approximately) as fully trained imperial/atlantean soldiers - Frisian ships could be overpowered.

I couldn't find a source that says that Frisians evade less often, or even what their leveling stats were, so I'll be interested where you found that;

In the game content files that define the strength of each tribe´s soldiers. Frisians have always 35% chance, other tribes up to 64% when fully trained in evade.

but have you considered that Frisians are based on the vikings?

Probably not, because they aren´t.

It would make sense that their ships are a bit better than the other tribes.

This is true nonetheless

I have to admit that I haven't used them all that much, so I don't know how they compare in normal attacks. If they are too strong in naval combat, we could of course just make each tribe have their own warships with different stats to compensate.

That would be the best solution IMHO

Top Quote
NexusDarkshade
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-09-17, 20:31

Nordfriese wrote:

I'm actually surprised. From what I could tell, the Frisians' background story, as well as their buildings and economy, seemed to be based on the vikings, but I don't know much about Nordic and Scandinavian civilizations, so I guess there's probably a better historical match.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-17, 21:43

The frisians are based half on medieval Northern Friesland and half on an old sketch for a "Northmen" tribe (which I don´t know what it´s based on). When you have a lot of spare time, you can read the development discussion here and view this (and also the next) part of the build20 trailer.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-18, 08:48

NexusDarkshade wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

I'm actually surprised. From what I could tell, the Frisians' background story, as well as their buildings and economy, seemed to be based on the vikings, but I don't know much about Nordic and Scandinavian civilizations, so I guess there's probably a better historical match.

Vikings? As I remember, Barbarians were supposed to be them.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-18, 14:39

if nothing else, atlanteans should be good on the sea. empire probably the weaker, except maybe amazonians once they are ready

Top Quote
NexusDarkshade
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-09-18, 23:06

king_of_nowhere wrote:

if nothing else, atlanteans should be good on the sea. empire probably the weaker, except maybe amazonians once they are ready

Excellent point. If nothing else, this proves that my original post was flawed, in that tribe specific warships are needed.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-19, 09:29

After thinking a lot. I am against this as it would change the game interface much. Normally we don't control individua units but just decide which building to attack. So this would be completely different from what is normally done in widelands.
Furthermore Widelands should be focused on economy setup rather then warfare. I beleive all we need is the possibility to attack overseas.
For this I believe we could have a button "military expedition" in a port. This would load a ship full of soldiers (with a setting Heros /rookies) and sails to an enemy coast. After reaching the coastline this ship could be decided to enter Attack mode from which on it acts as a military building full of soldiers. This means the soldiers can leave the ship to attack an attackable building and return to be healed. But the ship can be attacked and conquered by soldiers as well if conquered it can't be moved (for every other tribe it is a military building in this moment) but perhaps dismanteled. That would do the trick from my point of view.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-19, 14:23

This idea sounds interesting. Maybe we could even allow capturing ships, to make attacking more risky.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
NexusDarkshade
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-09-19, 21:30

hessenfarmer wrote:

After thinking a lot. I am against this as it would change the game interface much. Normally we don't control individua units but just decide which building to attack. So this would be completely different from what is normally done in widelands.
Furthermore Widelands should be focused on economy setup rather then warfare. I beleive all we need is the possibility to attack overseas.
For this I believe we could have a button "military expedition" in a port. This would load a ship full of soldiers (with a setting Heros /rookies) and sails to an enemy coast. After reaching the coastline this ship could be decided to enter Attack mode from which on it acts as a military building full of soldiers. This means the soldiers can leave the ship to attack an attackable building and return to be healed. But the ship can be attacked and conquered by soldiers as well if conquered it can't be moved (for every other tribe it is a military building in this moment) but perhaps dismanteled. That would do the trick from my point of view.

This is not only a wonderful idea, but much better how I wanted to implement the warfare portion of naval warfare.

I still think that there should be dedicated warships, though, and I think that the rest of my original post is still relevant, but this idea for naval warfare is much better. Still, we need to come up with how/if ships will attack each other.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-09-20, 05:44

hessenfarmer wrote:

On the receiving side: Before attack, the player probably considered that military building to be on safe ground, and it was occupied by one rookie only. Therefore, having sounds on (to hear the "you are under attack" sound) has a hige impact: One knows to pay attention to that military site, and dismantle it as a loss is inevitable. It is a pity if playing without sound would become even bigger handicap than what it is now. Some people are deaf, to start with.

This problem would also go away, if the "you are under attack" sound would also be signalled visually, so that it surely attracts attention. A new message in the message box in some corner is not good enough, imo. A bit off-topic, I agree, but this should be addressed somehow before all shoreline becomes military front. The problem would probably go also away, if "prefer rookies" sites would burn down by default instead of being conquered at defeat.

Top Quote