Topic: new tribe: amazons

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-12, 20:26

hessenfarmer wrote:

First we have 4 Tribes up to now and will end with 5 very soon. face-wink.png

make it 6, i haven't seen progress on egyptians in a while but it's likely it will get done eventually.

still, we have 3 core tribes that are at least roughly balanced. frisians are not there. amazons may be, if we can fix the early game issues.

but so far, the benchmark against which we have to balance new ideas are the three well established tribes.

and it just doesn't seem logic to me that these medium buildings can store so much material.

Well, the warehouses are medium buildings, and they can store unlimited amount of materials face-tongue.png

from my perspective reducing each ware by one for atlanteans and imperial wouldn't harm a well organised economy. But that is a topic for another thread probably.

reducing them from 8 to 6 wouldn't harm an organized economy, no. most skilled players reduce the storage capacity anyway, because stored wares not being used are lost production.

going below 6 would hurt, though. Sure, if you're playing a big flat map like ice wars, you can afford to have a warehouse next to the weapon smith set to take all the metals, and then the weaponsmith will be constantly resupplied.

And sometimes you will have a small map with few and far off building spaces, like fjords. and you won't be able to spare a warehouse next to the weapon smith, and maybe you have the weapon smith on one side of the map and the smelting works on the other and so it takes time for the wares to arrive. in those cases, you need a buffer if you want to be able to complete a ffull work cycle.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-12, 21:25

king_of_nowhere wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

First we have 4 Tribes up to now and will end with 5 very soon. face-wink.png

make it 6, i haven't seen progress on egyptians in a while but it's likely it will get done eventually.

you are right and guess what I am one of the persons most happy about this and willing to help mthis happen as it adds variety and fun to the game in my opinion. That was why I wanted to help with amazons as well.

still, we have 3 core tribes that are at least roughly balanced. frisians are not there. amazons may be, if we can fix the early game issues.

frisians are not that far away I guess as long as the game takes longer than e.g. crater or similar. However me and other guys are working hard on the balance issues. (as long as we don't get sidetracked by more important tasks like creating a new tribe ;-)). So really each tribe has its specific strenghts and weaknesses and will suit a map better or worse.

but so far, the benchmark against which we have to balance new ideas are the three well established tribes.

Hmm. Not sure. The goal should be always to be balanced against all tribes. Obviously this is getting more difficult with more tribes.

and it just doesn't seem logic to me that these medium buildings can store so much material.

Well, the warehouses are medium buildings, and they can store unlimited amount of materials face-tongue.png

from my perspective reducing each ware by one for atlanteans and imperial wouldn't harm a well organised economy. But that is a topic for another thread probably.

reducing them from 8 to 6 wouldn't harm an organized economy, no. most skilled players reduce the storage capacity anyway, because stored wares not being used are lost production.

going below 6 would hurt, though. Sure, if you're playing a big flat map like ice wars, you can afford to have a warehouse next to the weapon smith set to take all the metals, and then the weaponsmith will be constantly resupplied.

And sometimes you will have a small map with few and far off building spaces, like fjords. and you won't be able to spare a warehouse next to the weapon smith, and maybe you have the weapon smith on one side of the map and the smelting works on the other and so it takes time for the wares to arrive. in those cases, you need a buffer if you want to be able to complete a ffull work cycle.

This is correct and I know this very well. However to effectively run a site you need to supply all wares needed within one cycle in the time it takes to run this cycle so in theory I believe if you are dependent on a buffer of a complete cycle every small jam will result in skipped production. Anyhow I was thinking to reduce the wares to 7 and gold maybe to 6 or so, as it is less needed. but again I will discuss this in another thread.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-12, 23:19

ok fixed all issues identified. Wilderness keeper issue was a hunter gatherer issue. if necessary wilderness keeper can be optimized further.
dressmaker has now all wares for one cycle except rubber.
hardened spear is now 1 ironwood 1 wood and 1 stone as I wanted it to be distinguishable from stone tipped spear.
added 1 master woodcutter to starting workers (shouold be enough until first upgraded worker) adjusted starting wares
ships graphics fixed

Nordfriese provided first graphics - I like the idea of the flags but they are hardly visible and lack playercolors. Maybe we could have less branches of the bushes ( perhaps 3) and put little stripes of pc at the tops.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 11:17

Nordfriese provided first graphics - I like the idea of the flags but they are hardly visible and lack playercolors. Maybe we could have less branches of the bushes ( perhaps 3) and put little stripes of pc at the tops.

Okay, will change them like that.

Some new wares images are also up now.

By the way, for what exactly is rubber used in building construction?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 12:27

You pushed your changes after I started the import. This particular branch wasn't pulled yet, so your changes might siill make it - or not.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 13:07

Oops face-sad.png
But it´s only a small change which I can easily repeat if it isn´t imported. I hope I didn´t accidentally confuse the import tool…

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 13:58

Nordfriese wrote:

By the way, for what exactly is rubber used in building construction?

training sites use a lot of it, in my mind it is used to make mattresses for the pplayers to fall on.

water gatherers use rubber for buckets, to make them more water-tight. same goes for the other buildings that work with food or liquids.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 14:10

Nordfriese wrote:

Oops face-sad.png
But it´s only a small change which I can easily repeat if it isn´t imported. I hope I didn´t accidentally confuse the import tool…

I think the tool will be fine, don't worry about it. This is taking a while, we'll probably know sometime on Monday...

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 15:09

found another glitch that's probably a typo: the liana cutter is requiring a showel. the machete has currently no uses

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-13, 15:29

king_of_nowhere wrote:

found another glitch that's probably a typo: the liana cutter is requiring a showel. the machete has currently no uses

And another ups I will fix it, but I am not sure where and when to push the changes. I need to install git first and get familiar. Until then I will rather work locally and provide you with the datadir via my dropbox.

Top Quote