Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Move Website to GitHub

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-04, 18:04

I am moving the issues to GitHub right now. The second step will be ti import the branches. I am currently getting an error, so I'll probably move those branch by branch.

Please have a look at the list at https://code.launchpad.net/widelands-website and mark any of your branches that you will not be working on any more as "abandoned".

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-04, 18:43

Issues have been moved to https://github.com/widelands/widelands-website/issues, but I haven't double-checked them yet. We will definitely need to clean up the labels. We should also link up the new bugs from the old bugs in Launchpad, i can take care of that.

Test export of the branches ist at https://github.com/gunchleoc/widelands-website - This ran through pretty fast after I found the configuration problem that I had with the tool, so I'll do it again once the branches have been cleaned up and I get the OK from the currently active website developers so it won't interfere with their work.

Edited: 2019-09-06, 09:26

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-04, 20:12

Abandoned all of my old branches.

Trimardio should check his branches.

Branches from any other users couldn't be changed, and they are very old and shouldn't be moved also.

Dammn, now i have to struggle wit the Github workflow .... Any idea how to exchange bazaar with github on the server? Do we need to set up the whole website again?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-04, 23:59

bzr pull lp:widelands will become git pull origin master once it has been set up.

I have started a documentation page on the wiki https://www.widelands.org/wiki/GitPrimer/ - everybody is welcome to edit it and add more info. The GitHub help is also pretty useful.

@Trimardio tell me when is a good time to do the move, so you won't end up with local changes on your machine that won't make it over.

Edited: 2019-09-05, 00:04

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-06, 17:03

We won't have the separate priority settings that we used to have on Launchpad, so I have created a milestone that can be used to prioritize issues.

I have also cleaned up the labels. Shall we create 1 label per Django module?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-06, 20:44

Hm... And what again is the motivation for moving to this Microsoft platform?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-09-06, 21:54

Microsoft just bought it. But the core of the website was developped by good people don't worry face-smile.png

I see several avantages (though I never participated in the discussion about it)

• Git >> bazaar (sorry pure opinion here, I guess I'm more used to the former)
  • Very good ui
  • Most used website for code repo AFAIK, so most new devs will already know how to use it
  • less prone to errors for newbies (I made lots of dirty stuff for my first commit with launchpad/bzr)
  • Though it's windows they still respect the idea of free and opensource for the code they host

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-09-07, 08:03

Launchpad/Bazaar has not been updated for years. There is not even a recent bzr client software for Windows OS...

And don't mix GIT and GitHub.com. GIT is definitely better than bzr, and while there are many alternatives to GitHub incl. Self hosting, GitHub is just the most used, common known Git hosting platform.

Great work, Gun!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-09-07, 09:08

We looked into alternative hosting for Git, but GitHub is the only site that inegrates with Travis. So, we have already been depending on GitHUb for a few years now anyway. At the moment, SirVer has a bot running on a Raspi that pushes branches to GitHub for us, but it's by necassity a very dirty hack and therefore prone to crash.

I am fond of Bazaar too, but as Tino said, their maintenance has seriously fallen behind.

If the current owners if the GitHub site should cause us any problems in the future, there is always the option to rethink our choice and move again then. Widelands has been moved before, by the way (off SourceForge because we had an Iranian contributor who was not allowed to participate due to USA's empargo on encryption).

BTW there is also an initiative by FreeGameDev for FLOSS Git hosting, but Widelands is far too big for them.

Edited: 2019-09-07, 09:08

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-09-07, 18:59

Can we already add new issues and push in the github interface? We need to change bzrignore to gitignore notably. It's literally the same file except maybe a mention of pycache which I don't know why wasn't in the bzrignore

Top Quote