Latest Posts

Topic: Nokia N900: Widelands Build 15 - unable to continue empire campaign

helmuth

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-06-23, 20:16

Hello Wideland'ers! face-smile.png

I own a Nokia N900 and somebody compiled Widelands to run it on to go. (great, "Settler II" in the pocked, YEAH!)

It works great. But I'm (and others also) unable to continue the empire campain after level 2. After achieving the victory conditions of level 2 it says: "you can either play on or exit to progress to the next level" - once we exit the next level is still unavailable.

Could someone have a Idea what is going wrong?

Or has anybody a savegame to continue with Level 3 of the empire campain? face-smile.png

Thanks a lot, Helmuth

Ah, and before I forgot: If someone is interested, the N900 package is here aviable: http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras_free_armel/widelands/15-3/

Look here for more about Widelands at the Nokia N900: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18228

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-06-23, 20:34

You aren't able to continue because there's isn't anything to continue with. It's just that for now, there are no more campaigns in build15. However something will come in build16 (there's a preview somewhere). So, that's not a bug, simply there isn't anything.

Top Quote
helmuth

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-06-23, 21:24

Soeb wrote: You aren't able to continue because there's isn't anything to continue with. It's just that for now, there are no more campaigns in build15. However something will come in build16 (there's a preview somewhere). So, that's not a bug, simply there isn't anything.

Oh, that's sad... face-sad.png But in this case a GREAT Preview for a really good game. ;) Thanks a lot for the reply and the clarification.

Widelands at the N900 is really something I can recommend to others. Like a Nintendo DS in your pocket with a more complex game than everything I know on the Nintendo DS and additionally all your mobile data on one device. The only disadvantage... the battery dies after 2-3 hours of playing Widelands. face-smile.png

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-06-26, 19:17

You could try reducing the max framerate so that the game uses less CPU power. Alternatively, if the N900 has a native GPU, no matter how low-powered, you can look forward to the next version. The next version will include OpenGL support and so will be able to use the GPU, which is most likely much more energy efficient than doing the rendering in software. (No guarantees, of course, but it's likely to be much better.)

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-06-26, 23:25

Wow. I am surprised that widelands runs on this system. OpenGL could help with the power consumption, but the current code will not run on the N900. It has something like a GPU. The N900 contains a ARM Cortex-A8 based TI OMAP3. But it support only OpenGL ES. (I think 2.0) Now I am convinced it is worth the effort to get widelands working with OpenGL ES.

But I think even with OpenGL widelands will use much CPU time. The OMAP3 is quite powerful for a embedded processor but still much slower than a PC. So for a longer lasting battery with widelands you have to wait until the rest of the inefficiencies are fixed. face-smile.png

Top Quote