Latest Posts

Topic: make 2x the default speed

JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2019-08-23, 10:00

This is a potential recursive task. Now we might go from original 1x to 2x. In a few months the same starts again and we go from new 1x, which was the original 2x to new 2x which is the original 4x and so on. And why do we precisely pick 2x as new default? Why not 8x?

Seems like there is not enough micromanagement-possibilities at the moment?

Edited: 2019-08-23, 10:02

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 19:44

Maybe adding a user option would be the way to go. This way, the general default would still be 1x for new Widelands installations in all game modes an therefore not break UI consistency. We could have this for all game modes, since multiplayer speed is a voting process and the player can still make it slower at game start if the other players don't like it.

Edited: 2019-08-28, 19:46

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 19:59

kaputtnik wrote:

stonerl wrote:

I would be in favour for keeping the default at 1x and add an option to the Main Menu where the user can set his/her preferred speed.

Looks like this is the only satisfying solution.

A poll would not help here, because 'fresh players' likely do not vote (they have to find the poll, and have to register here). So i guess the poll is influenced only by experienced players. But of course i can make one, without commitment.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there would be more polls about Widelands in general? For example what's the favorite tribe and so on?

JanO wrote:

This is a potential recursive task. Now we might go from original 1x to 2x. In a few months the same starts again and we go from new 1x, which was the original 2x to new 2x which is the original 4x and so on.

I don't think so.

And why do we precisely pick 2x as new default? Why not 8x?

I don't understand why you react so polemically...

Seems like there is not enough micromanagement-possibilities at the moment?

Actually there are a lot, but beginners tend to not micromanage a lot. So they could get bored.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 20:02

GunChleoc wrote:

Maybe adding a user option would be the way to go. This way, the general default would still be 1x for new Widelands installations in all game modes

This was not intended by the thread opener face-wink.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i was chatting in lobby with worldsavior, and we were considering how people nowadays don't like slow games like widelands because they want everything to be fast and immediate and don't want to wait for resources.

this gave me an idea: how about we set the default game speed to 2x, with the option of still bringing it down to 1x if wanted? it may make the game more palatable to the average kid, while not reallly changing anything.

especially because the average new player doesn't understand that he need a dozen woodcutters if he wants to speed up constructions, so he'll build 3 and then wonder why his buildings don't get made and unistall the game because he think it's boring.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 20:15

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

Maybe adding a user option would be the way to go. This way, the general default would still be 1x for new Widelands installations in all game modes

We can still discuss whether we want to make 2x the default, my suggestion does not block further discussion face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 20:24

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

especially because the average new player doesn't understand that he need a dozen woodcutters if he wants to speed up constructions, so he'll build 3 and then wonder why his buildings don't get made and unistall the game because he think it's boring.

The problem I see simply is that, increasing the default speed doesn't change the fact that one has to learn the game mechanics. We should rather consider having something like a Quick Start Guide in the game, where the basic mechanics are explained.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 20:31

stonerl wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

The problem I see simply is that, increasing the default speed doesn't change the fact that one has to learn the game mechanics. We should rather consider having something like a Quick Start Guide in the game, where the basic mechanics are explained.

We already have the tutorials - maybe they should become improved?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-28, 20:47

The tutorials are very good IMHO. In my opinion it´s just natural that when a game has an in-game tutorial, one plays it once before starting a "free" game. If one doesn´t and misses out such basic stuff as changing the game speed, it´s what he deserves for his impatience really.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2019-08-29, 00:55

WorldSavior wrote:

What about also adding 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5 in the line?

Similar problem of recursion for decimal factors: Why stopping at 0.5 and not 0.25? What do you want with 1.5x? What do the animations even do with those?

I did not mean to be rude, but you said yourself that 2x is still not fast. So this would not solve problems for impatient players face-wink.png

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

Let´s assume there is a significant number of players who will play Widelands if the default speed is 2x but not if it´s 1x. (How many players like this do you estimate are there, by the way?). Assuming this is granted, then the playerbase majority will shift towards an attitude that Widelands should be a fast fast fast game all about speed, where performing the same clicks as the opponent a split-second faster is sufficient to win.

What's fast about 2x? 1x is just very slow. And that the new players would prefer faster Widelands doesn't mean that they don't respect slow Widelands.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-31, 20:21

JanO wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

What about also adding 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5 in the line?

Similar problem of recursion for decimal factors: Why stopping at 0.5 and not 0.25?

Good question, maybe 0.25 should also be available in single player, but in multiplayer only if both agree.

What do you want with 1.5x?

It's a common multiplayer speed.

What do the animations even do with those?

Nothing special

I did not mean to be rude, but you said yourself that 2x is still not fast. So this would not solve problems for impatient players face-wink.png

It's still twice as fast as 1x face-wink.png Maybe it's fast enough for impatient players

Top Quote