Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Post bugs which should be fixed in build21

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 09:03

the point for me was that this behaviour could be used to counterattack and survive even a big but uncautious attack. I think with the new select attacker feature one could manage more cautious attacks to prevent this happen. So I don't see the need to change something here. If someone is uncautious enough he needs to pay the prize. So still I am not convinced.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 09:07

Maybe soldiers should get a small visions range (2 or 3) so they find roads not only if they precisely step onto them.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 11:37

I agree with hessenfarmer. I consider counterattacking to conquer the attackers´ milsite a strategy, not a bug.

+1 for letting soldiers deliberately look for own flags in their vision range though.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 18:58

They actually already do so like all workers that become fugitive, at 4 * vision range - see Worker::fugitive_update.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 19:43

Yes, but every found flag is ignored with 50% chance, and then again with a chance that depends on the distance to the flag compared to the closest flag found. This causes the worker to ignore a lot of flags and makes it look as if he only had a tiny bias towards his homeland (and also towards isolated flags that may remain after a defeat…)

Edit: and I´d suggest that the worker checks whether a nearby flag is connected to a warehouse before considering whether to move towards it

Edited: 2019-08-21, 19:44

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 19:50

Nordfriese wrote:

Edit: and I´d suggest that the worker checks whether a nearby flag is connected to a warehouse before considering whether to move towards it

+1 for looking for a warehouse and +1 for increasing the chance not to overlook a flag

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 20:07

Nordfriese wrote:

+1

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 20:23

hessenfarmer wrote:

I always considered the soldiers (and workers) behaviour of searching for an own flag as a feature and not a bug. Therefore I really don't know if I am happy with the proposed change.

Why not a bug? Soldiers can even attack buildings which are 25 fields away (precisely), which is out of any vision range. Sometimes they walk even further. So why should a soldier not return somewhere in his settlement instead of running around like a headless chicken? A question would be where the soldier should go, though.

stonerl wrote:

Well, the problem is that most of the time they don't find a flag. Especially when they are foreign land. I could live with an increased time (endless would be even better) before the soldiers die. I don't mind normal workers, but a fully trained soldier is costly and loosing one, just because he wasn't able to find a flag in time, is very cumbersome.

Maybe it would be better if the soldier would not wander randomly around - couldn't the soldiers be misused as very useful scouts if you just don't let them vanish?

Nordfriese wrote:

I agree with hessenfarmer. I consider counterattacking to conquer the attackers´ milsite a strategy, not a bug.

At the other hand the building can just be dismantled before being conquered, so in many cases there will be a dismantlesite, and when the building turns into a dismantlesite the soldiers will return to it.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 00:54

WorldSavior wrote:

Maybe it would be better if the soldier would not wander randomly around - couldn't the soldiers be misused as very useful scouts if you just don't let them vanish?

This reminds me, I've actually abused wandering carriers for scouting (though usually unintentionally). Just build a road along the border and then destroy it. If there are no flags nearby some carriers will wander off outside your territory. Bam, free scouting!

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-22, 20:39

niektory wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

This reminds me, I've actually abused wandering carriers for scouting (though usually unintentionally). Just build a road along the border and then destroy it. If there are no flags nearby some carriers will wander off outside your territory. Bam, free scouting!

Good that you mention it. Maybe carriers shouldn't wander that randomly around neither. (At the other hand it's not exactly "free scouting", because it requires space, attention and clicks face-wink.png )

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote