Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Egyptians Tribe

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 18:35

When I have heard about new tribe I have thought: why do we want another tribe? We have already 4 of them and one is not finished yet. But as I can see, the discussion is going somewhere else, so I will not oppose on that face-smile.png .

First, new resources to build.
As I remember, Egyptians used 3 types of stones: limestone, granite and sandstone. Also they used wood, or rather palms to build houses. And the last thing were bricks. Made of clay and straws, dried with sun power. And I like the idea of bricks. But to reduce number of resources I had an idea to make bricks out of reeds and mud. Mud can be collected on the shore and can be also used as fertiliser to the high effitient farms.

About resurrection idea: I am not a fan of that, but if you want to use this, maybe another hut like scouts house is preferable here? He will use a ration to bring a body to the economy and priests will resurrect them in a pyramid. Also priests should be quite expensive. Maybe they would wear golden robe? (robes can be also used by soldiers to upgrade their stats, f.e. high values of evade).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 18:42

There is a lot of ways to get that feature in game

We have one that you build a path to body if it is in your terrain

And scout will bring back body.

Now second idea seems to op for me.Scouts can walk anywhere.That means if we lost troops in enemy teritory we can get all of them back.

On other side if you had to build path towards body,you can only build in your teritory.Means you can only ressurect troops that you lost in your own territory. We will see.Egyptians are still in early development.

@Nordfriese i cant find where to download program.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 18:53

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:01

From coding point of view, I would implement it like this. The following even needs only a very small coding change:

• When an egyptians_soldier is killed, he turns into an egyptians_soldier_dead. This will be a kind of "animal" that does not walk around anymore and belongs to no player. It has the tag "dead_soldier".

• A scout looks for nearby bobs with the dead_soldier tag and if he finds one, he goes fetch him and carries him back to his scout´s hut.

• There the soldier turns into an egyptians_soldier_wounded, which is a worker belonging to the same player as the scout.

• The egyptians_soldier_wounded walks to the Pyramid (a productionsite) which then consumes wares, shows a working animation for a while, and then releases him as a rookie (just like a barracks).

This has the side effect that one egyptian tribe can steal dead soldiers from another egyptian tribe with a lot of luck. Perhaps not that much of a balancing problem if we make the scout´s search radius low? Otherwise it could of course be implemented that the soldier "remembers" his tribe allegiance and scouts pick up only soldiers of their own tribe (a bit more complicated to code).

What do you think?

EDIT: Alternatively, the egyptians_soldier_dead could be a tribe-immovable that inherently remembers its owner and vanishes after a certain time if not fetched.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 19:13

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:04

I like both ideas.

Oh yeah i downloaded all of files that were on launchpad,but when i try to launch them it says:What program you want to use to open this type of file?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:09

@Nordfriese i cant find where to download program.

Okay… step by step.

Did you download the whole media repo yet? If not, just do that please:

• Install and setup bzr as described here: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/BzrPrimer/

• checkout the media repo: bzr branch lp:widelands-media (big, big download)

• …and find the files in widelands-media/graphics/tools/Graphic Tools (Java)

• OPTIONAL: Get a launchpad account as described on the above linked wiki page and request to join the widelands media dev team, then you can upload a branch with your blender files so everyone can see them

EDIT:

Oh yeah i downloaded all of files that were on launchpad,but when i try to launch them it says:What program you want to use to open this type of file?

Which operating system do you use? Use a standard text editor, e.g. Notepad on windows

Edited: 2019-08-16, 19:10

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:10

Will do.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:17

Okay i installed Bazaar,got Launchpad account,now where is that media repo?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:22

The line to branch it directly from the commandline is

bzr branch lp:widelands-media

If you´re using some bazaar GUI, the repo address is lp:widelands-media

Edited: 2019-08-16, 19:23

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:37

Im gonna surrender if this continues....

I cant do anything...bazaar always says unknown command,and im not even sure where to type commands that are shown at widelands site..

I feel really stupid now Whatever i try it doesnt work.It always says unknown command.I tried creating repo dir. like they said,unknown command.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 19:49

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 19:53

Nordfriese wrote:

From coding point of view, I would implement it like this. The following even needs only a very small coding change:

• When an egyptians_soldier is killed, he turns into an egyptians_soldier_dead. This will be a kind of "animal" that does not walk around anymore and belongs to no player. It has the tag "dead_soldier".

• A scout looks for nearby bobs with the dead_soldier tag and if he finds one, he goes fetch him and carries him back to his scout´s hut.

• There the soldier turns into an egyptians_soldier_wounded, which is a worker belonging to the same player as the scout.

• The egyptians_soldier_wounded walks to the Pyramid (a productionsite) which then consumes wares, shows a working animation for a while, and then releases him as a rookie (just like a barracks).

This has the side effect that one egyptian tribe can steal dead soldiers from another egyptian tribe with a lot of luck. Perhaps not that much of a balancing problem if we make the scout´s search radius low? Otherwise it could of course be implemented that the soldier "remembers" his tribe allegiance and scouts pick up only soldiers of their own tribe (a bit more complicated to code).

What do you think?

EDIT: Alternatively, the egyptians_soldier_dead could be a tribe-immovable that inherently remembers its owner and vanishes after a certain time if not fetched.

balance-wise, stealing dead from other egyptians is not a problem. it does not affect egypt balance with other tribes if they can pull the trick only in a mirror match. and both sides can do it, so it's balanced by definition.

I worry about the mechanic described, though: every soldier raised as a rookie, it means that rookies can be sacrificed completely for free, with weird effects on early game. while on heroes it has a negligible impact, as riasing a rookie from a hero still loses over 90% of the value.

Hence why I was suggesting that only hero soldiers can be recovered (we also have to decide if we want to call it resurrection or healing; mechanically it's the same, it's just the flavor). a rookie cannot be recovered, or has a small chance of being recovered. a soldier with more promotions will lose some promotions, but not all. And at this point the resurrection is balanced for every part of the game, and it simply becomes a matter of balancing an increase in cost for the soldiers to compensate for this feature.

I'm sure coding egyptians_soldier_dead to have levels like soldiers, and soldiers to lose some levels when turning into egyptians_soldier_dead, would not be a significant problem over what you suggest

Top Quote