Latest Posts

Topic: Egyptians Tribe

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:09

Is it possible to make weak soldiers, but enemy switching sides if a) they lose, b) under 20% health, c) 5% chance per hit ?

Very nide idea, but could cause serious balancing problems

I would also love if we can implement some new concepts. I mean we should maybe not make them to boring / similar to existing tribes. Also maybe we can make this tribe maybe harder to understand and fully manageable so that they will be challenging to play. So we many new challenging Ideas and interesting long term gameplay?

It would be cool to make them stand out,but code depends on Coders,not on us.We can propose features but there is no guarantee that they will make it into game.

…and we coders will happily implement all good suggestions approved by the community face-smile.png

Slowly im making progress on creating my visual plan for ALL BUILDINGS so im close to having all "Blueprints".All thats left after that is modeling.

I´m looking forward to seeing them face-smile.png

Also NordFriese can you help me out with blender a little?Im having problems with texturing and model size in-game. I forgot how to use it....long time when i worked with it a lot.

Just upload the .blend file somewhere and ask whatever you want to know. I suggest you check out the frisian models (in the widelands-media launchpad repo) to see some tested settings (some of the other tribes´ blend files there are broken, careful not to use those as reference face-sad.png ).

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:17

Nordfriese wrote: Just upload the .blend file somewhere and ask whatever you want to know. I suggest you check out the frisian models (in the widelands-media launchpad repo) to see some tested settings (some of the other tribes´ blend files there are broken, careful not to use those as reference face-sad.png ).

Okay i will try to...Only problem i have is textures get really pixelated and buildings are small.

When i render image do i change resolution in blender or do i need external software.When i change res. in blender image get pixelated.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 15:20

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:18

I like this idea with soldiers switching sides very much, the balancing i can put hours later in it if we need

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:30

i don't much like the "coonverting enemy soldiers" concept because it's the kind of stuff that's impossible to balance in practice. either it is so weak to the point of uselessness, or it is so strong that you snowball immediately.

and consider that such a balance would need to be achieved at all levels of soldier training

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:43

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i don't much like the "coonverting enemy soldiers" concept because it's the kind of stuff that's impossible to balance in practice. either it is so weak to the point of uselessness, or it is so strong that you snowball immediately.

and consider that such a balance would need to be achieved at all levels of soldier training

You are right,that will be to much.But i still think that we need that feature with Pyramid where we can ressurect soldiers.Thats something that will make them unique.Just needs a bit of balancing.

Oh yeah,NordFriese im really sorry for bothering you but How did you made models for Frisians?I dont need the modeling part,only the part when you export image.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 15:52

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:51

If I remember correctly, I usually use a blender-render resolution of 800x800 pixels at an orthographic camera scale of 6.25. Resizing by factor 0.162 with external software then results in the correct in-game size. (Better to keep the high-resolution images instead of scaling down directly in Blender, then it´ll be easier to create the mipmaps when they´re implemented.)

If your textures seem pixelated at 1x scale for the original 800x800 image, you need better textures or they will look just bad when scaled down later.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 15:52

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 15:53

Nordfriese wrote:

If I remember correctly, I usually use a blender-render resolution of 800x800 pixels at an orthographic camera scale of 6.25. Resizing by factor 0.162 with external software then results in the correct in-game size. (Better to keep the high-resolution images instead of scaling down directly in Blender, then it´ll be easier to create the mipmaps when they´re implemented.)

If your textures seem pixelated at 1x scale for the original 800x800 image, you need better textures or they will look just bad when scaled down later.

What External Software exactly??Only need this and i can start creating.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 16:06

In the WL media repository, I added a toolkit with some Java programs I designed especially for this. I recommend using those. You find them under graphics/tools/GraphicToolsJava. The usage is awkward and unintuitive, have a look at the readme in the same folder and don´t hesitate to ask if it´s still unclear.

Alternatively, you can just use a standard 2d graphics editor like GIMP, but these all have the disadvantage that they may result in jumping pixels in animations which will look ugly in the game.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 16:48

TheHunter wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

You are right,that will be to much.But i still think that we need that feature with Pyramid where we can ressurect soldiers.Thats something that will make them unique.Just needs a bit of balancing.

balancing resurrections should not be too hard. If a soldiers die, you lose resources. Resurrected soldiers would have less promotions, so you'd still lose resources after a death, just less of them. it's just a matter of figuring out a balance of lower power and/or higher cost to compensate for partial recycling.

also, it would make egyptians stronger on the defensive, as they would be able to raise soldiers dead on their land, but not on foreign land

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 18:18

king_of_nowhere wrote:

TheHunter wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

balancing resurrections should not be too hard. If a soldiers die, you lose resources. Resurrected soldiers would have less promotions, so you'd still lose resources after a death, just less of them. it's just a matter of figuring out a balance of lower power and/or higher cost to compensate for partial recycling.

also, it would make egyptians stronger on the defensive, as they would be able to raise soldiers dead on their land, but not on foreign land

Yap i fully agree.That means feature is confirmed?

NordFriese thank you i will try out the program.

Top Quote