Topic: Egyptians Tribe

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 21:12

king_of_nowhere wrote:

TheHunter wrote:

I dont like idea of gold,i would replace it with copper,and then "Hardened items" would be Bronze items.

i don't like that idea.

it's already ridiculous enough that atlantean miners will dig diamonds out of granite and empire dig marble and barbarians dig stones. but hey, i can almost accept that. maybe there really is a marble deposit, with diamonds in it (i know enough about geology to know how stupid that is, but it's an acceptable break from reality i'm wiling to make), and barbarians use marble like any other stone, and everyone find diamonds but atlanteans are the only ones using them. ok.

But having a mineral deposit that's gold for one tribe and bronze for another is totally stupid. plus, bronze is an alloy, it is not found like that in mines.

sorry if i am coming off as aggressive here

I agree with you

TheHunter wrote:

Reeds should be planted on water only because they grow around water.

Really on water or just on the coast?

Im not sure about warriors yet could they be trained with everything?For example:Level one warrior will eat fish/meat/bread. Higher levels will require advanced food and weapons of course.

How do you mean "with everything"?

Now Egyptians do have disadvantage because of mines,so we will need to back that up with something they will have that other tribes dont. If it is possible to make less levels for mines.

Where is the mine-disadvantage?

Nordfriese wrote:

And I would vote to name the three foodstuffs "ration-snack-meal" rather than "snack-meal-lunch" for consistency

Me too (even though it seem illogical that the ration is not the biggest one but the smallest, but ration is maybe relative)

@Hunter what's the point of this pastebin? Wouldn't it be better to post the list just in the forum?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 21:17

Here it goes Egyptians List

Looking good, a few questions:

• Just one trainingsite?

• Where is the military equipment smithed?

• Which tools do the workers need?

• What tool does the farmer get? Surely you need different kinds of farmers for wheat and reeds. Camel farm shouldn´t be run by a farmer, or does the worker there need to plant something?

• Are there enhancements? Do workers level up?

WorldSavior wrote:

TheHunter wrote:

Reeds should be planted on water only because they grow around water.

Really on water or just on the coast?

I assume water means coast here, else the worker would be unable to get there face-smile.png

@Hunter what's the point of this pastebin? Wouldn't it be better to post the list just in the forum?

I agree

Edited: 2019-08-15, 21:21

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 00:39

At the first glance it feels to me, that the concept for Egyptians is quite similar to the Barbarians', just with a slightly higher preference for water. I would like to have something different, don*t know. Maybe use water for more than food (for example on constructionsites or for irrigation on farms) and allow to get it from rivers + wells. Maybe roads with a third level (that would better fit for empire I guess). More than one builder on a constructionsite?

Somehow there have to be cats and Lybian Desert Glass.

The stuff with granite, marble, stone, diamonds... is not the most realistic already now, so I would not be against replacing gold by copper. From a mineral point of viev, granite and sandstone are not too far from each other - both consist of mainly quartz.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 02:16

reeds only growing on coast is a nice concept. it makes egyptians dependent on water, but so are atlanteans, so not a problem here.

I don't see a problem with a tribe being somewhat similar to another. after all, all tribes are somewhat similar to each other if you see the basics (farms + meat/fish (at least one can be replenished) = processed food, which is used in mines to get ores to make weapons and train the soldiers).

And if you complicate stuff too much to make the tribe stand out, you have huge balance problems. like frisians.

hey, little stupid idea: egyptians buried important people in pyramids because they thought it would give them eternal life, right? so we can make the building "pyramids" and the ware "dead hero". when a soldier with at least 4 promotion dies, it leaves behind the body. you make a road to the body and the workers will take the body and bring it to a pyramid. a little time later, the soldier emerges back, with less promotions.

if we don't want to make them supernatural (though atlantean and frisian campaigns already abund with supernatural elements) we could call them hospitals, dead soldiers become wounded soldiers. egyptians were quite skilled at medicine for their time.

Please, shoot down this idea. I couldn't resist making it, but I keep finding it stupid

Nordfriese wrote:

Copper is one of the few metals that can occur in nature in a directly usable metallic form (native metals). This led to very early human use in several regions, from c. 8000 BC. Thousands of years later, it was the first metal to be smelted from sulfide ores, c. 5000 BC, the first metal to be cast into a shape in a mold, c. 4000 BC and the first metal to be purposefully alloyed with another metal, tin, to create bronze, c. 3500 BC.[4]

(wikipedia)

How about saying that the resource deposits in Widelands happen to contain both gold and copper? This suggestion won´t win me the Geologist Of The Year award, but is it totally unrealistic?

actually, not completely unlikely. it's just that native copper is rare and native gold is rare and the likelyhoood of both being in the same place is just rare squared.

Making a kind of pseudo-bronze from copper and iron also doesn´t sound that unrealizable to me.

copper doesn't mix well with iron. like water and oil, they do not dissolve each other, except in very small quantities.

EDIT: actually, even if they do not dissolve in significant amounts, they form alloyes where on a microscopic scale there are iron-rich layers and copper-rich layers. I see that there is the option of ordering one such alloy from steel manufactories, but i could not find any use for it

Edited: 2019-08-16, 02:44

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 02:38

i'm considering ways to give them personality. i don't like the gamekeeper hut. the egyptians weren't renowned hunters. they had animal husbandry, though. so if we're looking for a source of replenishable meat, we could have animal farms that produce meat like farms produce wheat. i'd prefer to give them fish farms, since they are tied to water.

and just for that water link, maybe they could have a farm that only plant crops near water, but is more efficient than normal farms. not too much more efficient, we don't want them to be broken when near water. 5 to 10 seconds less than normal to make wheat would be ideal. and they'd still have normal farms, because not all maps have water everywhere, but those farms would be less efficient. or maybe they would require water broought from wells.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 10:43

And if you complicate stuff too much to make the tribe stand out, you have huge balance problems. like frisians.

hey, little stupid idea: egyptians buried important people in pyramids because they thought it would give them eternal life, right? so we can make the building "pyramids" and the ware "dead hero". when a soldier with at least 4 promotion dies, it leaves behind the body. you make a road to the body and the workers will take the body and bring it to a pyramid. a little time later, the soldier emerges back, with less promotions.

if we don't want to make them supernatural (though atlantean and frisian campaigns already abund with supernatural elements) we could call them hospitals, dead soldiers become wounded soldiers. egyptians were quite skilled at medicine for their time.

Please, shoot down this idea. I couldn't resist making it, but I keep finding it stupid

Not stupid – the only trouble I can see here are balancing problems. But if we can find some cost distribution to compensate this advantage, why not? How long should the body remain lying around if you can´t have it transported away soon?

i'm considering ways to give them personality. i don't like the gamekeeper hut. the egyptians weren't renowned hunters. they had animal husbandry, though. so if we're looking for a source of replenishable meat, we could have animal farms that produce meat like farms produce wheat. i'd prefer to give them fish farms, since they are tied to water.

How about both – expensive meat farms (like emp piggery) plus cheaper fish farms (like atl fishkeeper but requires wares)?

and just for that water link, maybe they could have a farm that only plant crops near water, but is more efficient than normal farms. not too much more efficient, we don't want them to be broken when near water. 5 to 10 seconds less than normal to make wheat would be ideal

+1. But then it cannot be wheat but has to be a unique ware, else bar&emp would also get this advantage.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 12:53

Well Copper is rejected.No problem i didnt like it much either,i just presented it.

I like the idea of dead warriors being ressurected.That wont require Barracks for Egyptians. Maybe you have like 20 real life seconds to build path or else body will dissapear,but like Widelands said we need to make it look childish so everyone can play.

Unique ware is Reeds,and i think also it is better to plant them near water,not in water,that might cause some bugs when i look into it deeper.

Hunters are removed then,Egyptians will depend on fish.Like king_of_nowhere said they are tied to water.

I will post stuff here then so we dont use Pastebin,it was easier for me to update it when there is something new and i dont have to create new post.

If you have more ideas let me know,i wrote down everything you said.

Also i played game today a lot to get some ideas,and i was wrong when i said warriors can be trained with "everything".We use fish/bread and another ware(since hunters are removed we dont have meat) we will use Date drink and weapons and other equipment used to train.

Miners will use ration/snack/meal made in Inn.

Now i need help about third raw food type for the tribe.

Also NordFriese can you help me out with blender a little?Im having problems with texturing and model size in-game. I forgot how to use it....long time when i worked with it a lot.

Edited: 2019-08-16, 13:05

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 14:34

Is it possible to make weak soldiers, but enemy switching sides if a) they lose, b) under 20% health, c) 5% chance per hit ?

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 14:42

I would also love if we can implement some new concepts. I mean we should maybe not make them to boring / similar to existing tribes. Also maybe we can make this tribe maybe harder to understand and fully manageable so that they will be challenging to play. So we many new challenging Ideas and interesting long term gameplay?

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-16, 14:48

I t would be cool to make them stand out,but code depends on Coders,not on us.We can propose features but there is no guarantee that they will make it into game.

Slowly im making progress on creating my visual plan for ALL BUILDINGS so im close to having all "Blueprints".All thats left after that is modeling.

Top Quote