Latest Posts

Topic: Egyptians Tribe

TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 17:35

This was discussed long ago,but i have started over again so...this place here will be used to present your ideas,and to generaly talk about Egyptians.

Thank you for your support.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 17:56

Here is unfinished list of items Egyptians use. Feel free to post your ideas here,and tell me if i should change something.

I dont like idea of gold,i would replace it with copper,and then "Hardened items" would be Bronze items.

What do you think? https://pastebin.com/3McXFa9G

Edited: 2019-08-15, 18:01

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 18:04

Some random thoughts:

• No granite, instead sandstone. Is this the same thing with just a different name?

• What will be consumed by mines? And how many mine levels will there be? Will there be the four "classical" mines or something unusual?

• Reeds – is this the same reed used by bar&fri or something else? If latter, how is it produced?

• How to produce rope and silk? What are they used for?

• The soldiers have 3 attack, 3 health and 0 defence training steps? And 4 evade steps? What wares are needed for training?

I dont like idea of gold,i would replace it with copper,and then "Hardened items" would be Bronze items.

+1. We should change the resource name shown in the editor to "Gold/Bronze" then.

Please do also provide a list of buildings, workers, and tools soon face-smile.png

Edit: And what building materials are used, and how important is each of them?

Edited: 2019-08-15, 18:05

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 18:14

I will do my best

Yap sandstone is same as granite,used for building.

Reeds are used for making rope.They are not used in building.They are produces by Reed Farm,im not sure if it is possible to make Reed farm require water nearby?

Silk is experimental im not sure about it yet.

Mines will have 3 levels instead of 4.I think because Egyptians were old tribe they dont have technology to go further.

Now about soldiers.Training is like you said.We will need some food tho. So how about

Snack-made out of Bread OR meat OR fish Meal-made out of two items. Lunch-Made out of everything Drink-made out of dates,still dont know how to name it tho.. Weapons and armor of course are used.

About buildings/workers/and tools,i will write a list soon if i dont post in 2-3 hours then please wait until tomorrow i will update pastebin link with list of everything.

Edit: Ropes and silk will probably be used in building

Edited: 2019-08-15, 18:16

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 18:27

Reeds are used for making rope.They are not used in building.They are produces by Reed Farm,im not sure if it is possible to make Reed farm require water nearby?

Of course it´s possible face-smile.png How exactly do you mean: plant reeds only on nodes with at least 1 water triangle; or "worker goes to water → animation of filling a bucket → worker goes to arable (dry) node → plant stuff there (with animation of emptying the bucket)". Both is easily done after a small coding change that happens to be in review already.

Mines will have 3 levels instead of 4.I think because Egyptians were old tribe they dont have technology to go further.

I misexplained – about levels, I meant the number of normal/deep/deeper enhancing stages. The number 4 referred to the number of types – ironmine, coalmine, coppermine, sandstonemine, like all other tribes?

Snack - made out of Bread OR meat OR fish

Meal - made out of two items.

Two different items? That could be tricky to script…

Lunch - Made out of everything

Then fish and meat will both have to be perpetually replenishable. How will this be handled?

And I would vote to name the three foodstuffs "ration-snack-meal" rather than "snack-meal-lunch" for consistency

Drink - made out of dates

So (just checking – I like the idea) soldiers in training will eat fully prepared food rather than raw fish+meat+bread?

Edit: Ropes and silk will probably be used in building

I´m already looking forward to viewing the building models face-smile.png

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 20:20

Okay after a couple of hours i managed to model rough headquarters and woodcutter hut.How can i show image to you?

Also i have couple of problems.

How can i make my buildings bigger.They are kinda small,and workers are size of them.

At low resolution textures get messy,and it looks...straightforward ugly.

Now to answer your questions:

Reeds should be planted on water only because they grow around water.

You maybe missexplained but mines will have one less level of enhancements than other tribes (like i said Egyptians are old and they did not have high technology)

Im not sure about warriors yet could they be trained with everything?For example:Level one warrior will eat fish/meat/bread. Higher levels will require advanced food and weapons of course.

About pastebin list..it will be updated either in 2 hours MAX.If not then it will be tomorrow.

We will do only things that are easy to code,and wont require much time.

Now Egyptians do have disadvantage because of mines,so we will need to back that up with something they will have that other tribes dont. If it is possible to make less levels for mines.

Edited: 2019-08-15, 20:26

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 20:39

TheHunter wrote:

i don't like that idea.

it's already ridiculous enough that atlantean miners will dig diamonds out of granite and empire dig marble and barbarians dig stones. but hey, i can almost accept that. maybe there really is a marble deposit, with diamonds in it (i know enough about geology to know how stupid that is, but it's an acceptable break from reality i'm wiling to make), and barbarians use marble like any other stone, and everyone find diamonds but atlanteans are the only ones using them. ok.

But having a mineral deposit that's gold for one tribe and bronze for another is totally stupid. plus, bronze is an alloy, it is not found like that in mines.

sorry if i am coming off as aggressive here

Edited: 2019-08-15, 20:40

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 20:44

TheHunter wrote:

Okay after a couple of hours i managed to model rough headquarters and woodcutter hut.How can i show image to you?

Also i have couple of problems.

How can i make my buildings bigger.They are kinda small,and workers are size of them.

At low resolution textures get messy,and it looks...straightforward ugly.

Depends on how exactly you model them. I would suggest you upload a bzr branch stacked on widelands-media containing your blend files to some place like lp:~widelands-media-dev/widelands-media/egyptians. Then I can check them out and give suggestions.

BUT – please just use placeholders for now until the concept is fully developed. Then, you can model the buildings while the rest of the community already playtests the tribe. This will save a lot of time until the tribe is so well developed that it can be merged into the official game.

Now to answer your questions:

Reeds should be planted on water only because they grow around water.

Good point, and easy to script (soon)

You maybe missexplained but mines will have one less level of enhancements than other tribes (like i said Egyptians are old and they did not have high technology)

I would consider tribes with fewer levels higher developed face-wink.png Barbarians have three levels which get only a third of the resources each. Emp&Fri have two levels that each get 50%. Atl have only one that gets 100%. The fewer levels, the better. (Of course, the percentage increase doesn´t need to be the same for all levels…)

We will do only things that are easy to code,and wont require much time.

NO. A whole new tribe will require much time (months!) and if it requires coding changes, we will do that. If you need a coding change, just say so and we´ll implement it. Great gameplay is much more important than a comparatively small piece of coding.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 21:04

Copper is one of the few metals that can occur in nature in a directly usable metallic form (native metals). This led to very early human use in several regions, from c. 8000 BC. Thousands of years later, it was the first metal to be smelted from sulfide ores, c. 5000 BC, the first metal to be cast into a shape in a mold, c. 4000 BC and the first metal to be purposefully alloyed with another metal, tin, to create bronze, c. 3500 BC.[4]

(wikipedia)

How about saying that the resource deposits in Widelands happen to contain both gold and copper? This suggestion won´t win me the Geologist Of The Year award, but is it totally unrealistic?

Making a kind of pseudo-bronze from copper and iron also doesn´t sound that unrealizable to me.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 21:10

We will see what community says For now i have almost updated the pastebin link. I will post it here when its ready.

Here it goes Egyptians List

Edited: 2019-08-15, 21:14

Top Quote