Latest Posts

Topic: make 2x the default speed

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 02:44

i was chatting in lobby with worldsavior, and we were considering how people nowadays don't like slow games like widelands because they want everything to be fast and immediate and don't want to wait for resources.

this gave me an idea: how about we set the default game speed to 2x, with the option of still bringing it down to 1x if wanted? it may make the game more palatable to the average kid, while not reallly changing anything.

especially because the average new player doesn't understand that he need a dozen woodcutters if he wants to speed up constructions, so he'll build 3 and then wonder why his buildings don't get made and unistall the game because he think it's boring.

Edited: 2019-08-14, 02:45

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 08:24

how about we set the default game speed to 2x, with the option of still bringing it down to 1x if wanted?

Eek. How about having an option for the default speed instead?

especially because the average new player doesn't understand that he need a dozen woodcutters if he wants to speed up constructions, so he'll build 3 and then wonder why his buildings don't get made and unistall the game because he think it's boring.

How to speed up the game because constructions are slow is one of the first things you learn in the first tutorial…

we were considering how people nowadays don't like slow games like widelands because they want everything to be fast and immediate and don't want to wait for resources.

Yes, the inability to show some patience is truly one of the big shortcomings of people nowadays…
The Widelands description explicitly says it´s real-time and slow-paced. This is a core part of Widelands´ character and should not change because some people don´t want to press PageUp once too often.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 14:08

Nordfriese wrote:

Yes, the inability to show some patience is truly one of the big shortcomings of people nowadays…
The Widelands description explicitly says it´s real-time and slow-paced. This is a core part of Widelands´ character and should not change because some people don´t want to press PageUp once too often.

you know what, i am the first to bring out those arguments. and here i was willing to go back on them to try and grab a few more players.

is there a way to delete this thread and make it seem it never existed?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 18:57

king_of_nowhere wrote:

is there a way to delete this thread and make it seem it never existed?

Don't know. But why should you? It's a good thread, I would miss it

Nordfriese wrote:

how about we set the default game speed to 2x, with the option of still bringing it down to 1x if wanted?

Eek. How about having an option for the default speed instead?

Why not both? Furthermore, minimal and maximal speed for matches would also be a very good feature.

How to speed up the game because constructions are slow is one of the first things you learn in the first tutorial…

That's true. And trunk even brings new buttons for changing the speed, which might be helpful for beginners. At the other hand, many people don't even play the tutorials, unfortunately... So increasing the default speed could make sense.

we were considering how people nowadays don't like slow games like widelands because they want everything to be fast and immediate and don't want to wait for resources.

Yes, the inability to show some patience is truly one of the big shortcomings of people nowadays… The Widelands description explicitly says it´s real-time and slow-paced.

Then the description should be changed. Widelands is not slow-paced, it's flexibel-paced. From extremely slow-paced to extremely fast-paced everything is possible here.

This is a core part of Widelands´ character and should not change because some people don´t want to press PageUp once too often.

I disagree face-wink.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i was chatting in lobby with worldsavior, and we were considering how people nowadays don't like slow games like widelands because they want everything to be fast and immediate and don't want to wait for resources.

this gave me an idea: how about we set the default game speed to 2x, with the option of still bringing it down to 1x if wanted? it may make the game more palatable to the average kid, while not reallly changing anything.

+1, but an option for the default game speed would be then even better, then everybody who wants can simply go back to 1x as default speed.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-14, 21:59

I would vote for:

• 2x speed default for single player games.
  • 1x speed default for scenarios
  • 1x speed default for multiplayer games. Just because in multiplayer most people want to play slow. At least it seems to me when spectating other games. And in multiplayer we have also intermediate speed of e.g. 1.5

I am against having such an option in the settings.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-15, 00:20

kaputtnik wrote:

I would vote for:

• 2x speed default for single player games.
  • 1x speed default for scenarios
  • 1x speed default for multiplayer games. Just because in multiplayer most people want to play slow. At least it seems to me when spectating other games. And in multiplayer we have also intermediate speed of e.g. 1.5

I am against having such an option in the settings.

that would actually be good. in multiplayer i have to be careful about everything and want to have my time to think - or just to micromanage without being harrassed constantly by messages about stuff happening - but in single player i can be faster

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-17, 23:54

What about also adding 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5 in the line?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-19, 07:47

Bug report

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-08-20, 18:35

WorldSavior wrote:

What about also adding 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5 in the line?

We already have an open bug report for that: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1816378

I'm not sure if having different speeds depending on game mode is a good idea - it introduces some inconsistency into the UI. It is now also a lot more obvious how to change the speed due to the new game speed menu, so playing the tutorial is no longer needed for this.

Edited: 2019-08-20, 18:35

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2019-08-21, 22:07

I often play at 1x and don't see why any changes are needed to the game. If you prefer 2x speed, you press a single key once when you start a game and that's all. Doing so is simple and quick. One must be careful of assuming that "the way I play is the way most people play".

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote