Latest Posts

Topic: Transport Anomaly?

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-15, 23:34

In the Nile game I just won a colony connected only via a port exhibited puzzling behaviour.

A Winery with a Vinyard right next to it wasn't getting the grapes. The grapes were being taken from the vinyard past the winery (which was not full of grapes) to the port.

It also seems that the grapes that went to the winery all came via ship.

The same happened with a Tavern which had a Fisher's and Hunter's hut connected to it. Once again the fish was being carried past the empty Tavern.

When I destroyed the roads and rebuilt them it started working correctly. Once. Then it went insane again.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-16, 02:09

It always happen when you have a long economy. The building requires a ware. there is no available ware right now, so the building waits. A new ware is produced, and it gets sent to the building immediately. Nice! Too bad such ware is on the opposite side of the map, and will take 30 minutes to arrive. In the meanwhile, the building will not get any wares because it's waiting the one on the road. happens a few times, screws you up completely.

there are a couple of ways to manage that. Both of them require having a surplus of all significant wares.

1) Divide your land in different areas, each devoted to one single ware. Here are bakeries, breweries and everything else using up grain. there are the metal smelters and everything else using up ores, and so on. Put a warehouse in each of those areas, and set it as preferred place of storage ffor the wares that are processed there. That way, all the grain will go to the grain warehouse, and every time a bakery will need grain it will get it from the warehouse, which is close. that grain takes 30 minutes to reach the warehouse, but that's not a problem.

The downside of this approach is that you have to plan it from start. You cannot make buildings as you expand. you must leave space in the early game planning to eventually fill it, or you must dismantle a lot of buildings.

2) split the economy in several smaller economies. they are still connected by road, but when you decide you are settling a new area as a neew production center, you are going to build there farms, wells, bakeries, taverns, metal smelters, weaponsmiths, a barracks, arena, training camp, everything, and a warehouse in the middle of it. you can only skip production of building material, because you won't need them continuously. And each one of those smaller economies must have a surplus of wares. that way every time a building needs a ware, it will find it in a warehouse close by. travel between different zones is kept to a minimum, but you still need damn good roads. that's the way I prefer.

One year ago einstein hosted a challenge to make the greatest economy on nile map in 24 hours. you really fill the whole map in that time. maybe there are screenshots availlable (any replay will be impossible to open by now, they lose version compatibility fast) so you could see how the map should look like. I managed to make more than 3000 fully promoted soldiers in that time, and worldsavior bested me by a few dozens.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-16, 10:58

king_of_nowhere wrote:

One year ago einstein hosted a challenge to make the greatest economy on nile map in 24 hours. you really fill the whole map in that time. maybe there are screenshots availlable (any replay will be impossible to open by now, they lose version compatibility fast)

I played everything in build19, so the replays will be available for a long time. But I used a different strategy: I've cut a lot of roads to split up the economy into smaller parts, that way I didn't have any long-distance travelling of wares.

so you could see how the map should look like. I managed to make more than 3000 fully promoted soldiers in that time, and worldsavior bested me by a few dozens.

500 are a few dozens? Didn't know that face-tongue.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-16, 14:02

WorldSavior wrote:

so you could see how the map should look like. I managed to make more than 3000 fully promoted soldiers in that time, and worldsavior bested me by a few dozens.

I remember your first published score only bested me by a small amount. Maybe you improved it later.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-16, 14:50

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

I remember your first published score only bested me by a small amount. Maybe you improved it later.

It's my first score

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-17, 17:10

Thanks king, I had just recently worked out your #2 which was what I was trying in that port colony.

I guess I'm going to have to try and comprehend how wares are actually shipped. I have a vague and fuzzy notion only at this time.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-17, 17:27

mxb2001 wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to try and comprehend how wares are actually shipped. I have a vague and fuzzy notion only at this time.

A building has an empty space for a ware and requests one. If such a ware is available, the closer one is sent. otherwise, when a new ware is produced, it will be sent to one of the places requesting it, according mostly to waiting time (how long the place has been gooing without such a ware). And in that second case the ware could be sent from very far away.

the process is very iffy. that's why it's better to micromanage wares on a small economy (by manually decreasing slots for the wares until you force them to be sent where they are more urgent), and to have a surplus in a large one.

Top Quote