Latest Posts

Topic: Nile map

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-14, 00:18

It's a nice map, very interesting to play indeed. But (haha you knew that was coming) a slight change would make one small detail less annoying. The designer was very thoughtful to put 3/4 port spaces side by side in some places. Good intentions no doubt but when having an expedition circumnavigate it causes the ship to stop 3/4 times in a row. Multiple port spaces are a good thing but this is too much of a good thing.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-14, 01:03

mxb2001 wrote:

It's a nice map, very interesting to play indeed. But (haha you knew that was coming) a slight change would make one small detail less annoying. The designer was very thoughtful to put 3/4 port spaces side by side in some places. Good intentions no doubt but when having an expedition circumnavigate it causes the ship to stop 3/4 times in a row. Multiple port spaces are a good thing but this is too much of a good thing.

I also consider this as a slight problem, but I think that ships should be able to scout without stopping automatically. In case this new feature gets implemented, the problem gets solved.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-14, 02:18

The designer expected to use ports to make transport faster than to make expedition and colonize other lands. And the map is designed to create perfect grid of roads. So instead of counting every position for every port to fit the grid, he created several port spaces to make it possible.

Also for this minor issue you can manually move the ship (use arrows) and then the ship will skip additional port spaces. That is the workaround.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote