Latest Posts

Topic: Port anomalies

LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 13:59

Whilst playing "crossing the horizon" on build-20 (release) I found the following things which seem strange to me: You can build a port and then dismantle it: It is destroyed and the workers conveniently wander around randomly exploring the whole island for you. Very wasteful of resources though! If you also build a blockhouse close to the port, when you try to dismantle the port it is marked as a dismantle site but never dismantled. I guess this is because there is nowhere to land a builder or to ship goods from? Nevertheless it enables a player to reserve a whole island for later use. If you then destroy the blockhouse, the port-space becomes available for reuse. Interestingly, simply trying to build a port there does not work; you have to rediscover it with an expedition ship. However, the ship cannot find the port space until the road left when the blockhouse was destroyed is also destroyed. It is still a mechanism for unfairly grabbing large sections of the map and thus preventing opponents from expanding.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 14:09

LeightonMan wrote:

Whilst playing "crossing the horizon" on build-20 (release) I found the following things which seem strange to me: You can build a port and then dismantle it: It is destroyed and the workers conveniently wander around randomly exploring the whole island for you. Very wasteful of resources though!

It's good that one can dismantle the own port - so one can replace ports by other buildings if one wishes.

If you also build a blockhouse close to the port, when you try to dismantle the port it is marked as a dismantle site but never dismantled.

Maybe because the port turns faster to a dismantlesite than the builder can get to it? I mean the builder comes usually from the port, so it's kind of logical that this doesn't work.

I guess this is because there is nowhere to land a builder or to ship goods from?

Yes

Nevertheless it enables a player to reserve a whole island for later use.

Isn't the island also reserved if one leaves the port untouched?

If you then destroy the blockhouse, the port-space becomes available for reuse.

How is that possible?

Interestingly, simply trying to build a port there does not work; you have to rediscover it with an expedition ship.

Yes, there is no port, so wares cannot be delivered there face-wink.png

However, the ship cannot find the port space until the road left when the blockhouse was destroyed is also destroyed.

This might be actually a bug.

It is still a mechanism for unfairly grabbing large sections of the map and thus preventing opponents from expanding.

What's the advantage over not destroying the port? I cannot figure it out....

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 16:16

yes, if you do not destroy a port, you still reserve the island for later use. and building a port is a major investment of resources in the early game, so it's part of the game.

on the other hand, unless they fixed it, you can tell an expedition ship to stop as soon as it landed the first plank, and in that case you will have occupied the port space and made it inaccessible to the enemy, at the cost of a single plank. that's actually a glitch.

it is planned to enable naval attacks in the future. in that case, if dismantling the port would make the whole island unconquerable, then it will be a glitch of the game. Ideally, there should the a way to land on enemy land with a troop of soldiers and hold a bridgehead until a port is completed and reinforces can be callled. but that's for future devellopment

Edited: 2019-05-20, 16:16

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-05-21, 11:32

Thank you both for the explanations. I think I understand now. @WorldSavior: Sorry I did not explain properly. I was looking to the future when enemy ports can be conquered. It seems, though that this has already been well thought out. If you discover a port space, build a port and another building and then destroy both, the road between them remains. The port space cannot then be rediscovered and thus cannot be rebuilt. If you destroy the flag furthest from the port-space, a single flag remains and the space still cannot be rediscovered. Is this correct? It seems strange to me. Thank you again for your help

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-21, 20:32

LeightonMan wrote:

Thank you both for the explanations. I think I understand now. @WorldSavior: Sorry I did not explain properly. I was looking to the future when enemy ports can be conquered. It seems, though that this has already been well thought out. If you discover a port space, build a port and another building and then destroy both, the road between them remains. The port space cannot then be rediscovered and thus cannot be rebuilt. If you destroy the flag furthest from the port-space, a single flag remains and the space still cannot be rediscovered. Is this correct? It seems strange to me. Thank you again for your help

what you say is correct.

so far there is no naval attack option. you can only settle your own port spaces, so if you consciously decide to block your own port space, that's entirely on you and not a problem of the game.

When naval attacks will be implemented, this will have to be fixed.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-22, 13:37

LeightonMan wrote:

Thank you both for the explanations.

You're welcome

@WorldSavior: Sorry I did not explain properly.

No problem

I was looking to the future when enemy ports can be conquered. It seems, though that this has already been well thought out.

Okay

If you discover a port space, build a port and another building and then destroy both, the road between them remains. The port space cannot then be rediscovered and thus cannot be rebuilt. If you destroy the flag furthest from the port-space, a single flag remains and the space still cannot be rediscovered. Is this correct? It seems strange to me.

This might be a bug, I've also run into difficulties when rebuilding a destroyed port with an expedition.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote