Topic: Empty strings

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-05-17, 13:41

How do we handle empty strings?

servername_ui = (boost::format(_("unnamed %u")) % i++).str();

e.g. here it would set unnamed to an empty string if the translation was "". That is the case for all en_US.po strings because they do not contain any translations.

Should I check servename ui again and do:

servername_ui = (boost::format(("unnamed %u")) % i++).str();

Edit: The string is only empty in debug but not release. How come?

Edited: 2019-05-17, 13:50

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-18, 17:11

If the translation was "", Widelands would crash, because the placeholder is not present. The only way that happens is if a translator decided to translate with an empty string, which is completely wrong in this case. This will get picked up eventually when I run my translation validation script and I would fix it on Transifex and pull the translations again.

That is the case for all en_US.po strings because they do not contain any translations.

Since when? I guess I don't understand what you mean here. In any case, if something has not been translated, Gettext will simply show the original string.

tl;dr show me to the commit and give me steps to reproduce and I will have a look.

Also if you are working on something, do not touch the po files. That's all generated by script.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-05-23, 11:59

I'm talking about the changes I made in this already merged branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1825932-open-games-clean-start

Here I take the translated string and add a number in case a hostaname with the same name exists. This does work with release but not with debug. Since all strings in en_US.po are empty, in debug it takes an empty string, in release it takes the original string "unnamed".

Since when? I guess I don't understand what you mean here. In any case, if something has not been translated, Gettext will simply show the original string.

en_US.po is empty. No string is translated. Every time I switch to "try system language" (en_US in my case) I get a message in the settings that tells my that 100% of the translations are missing. That is because en_US.po does not contain any translated strings.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-25, 18:47

So what? If en_US.po is empty, it falls back to the source string.

The message in the options is just there to manage user expectation, because we have some translations with low coverage.

I tried to do some testing with the locale and got

[Host]: disconnect_client(0, DIFFERENT_PROTOCOL_VERS, )
widelands: ../src/network/nethostproxy.cc:259: void NetHostProxy::receive_commands(): Assertion `clients_.count(id)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

So something's fishy in any case.

Edited: 2019-05-25, 18:48

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote