Latest Posts

Topic: Additional abilites for ships

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-13, 20:34

I always found it illogical that ships can't do anything if there are no ports. Why do they have their control buttons only if they are expedition ships? (Rhetorical question).

And what about scouting ships? There could be a mode which allows a ship to scout automatically like a scout, but without limit, as the ship doesn't need food.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-13, 20:58

would be a good option.

and it would not affect competitive gameplay, as competitive players already know the map in advance and need no exploration

+1.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-13, 22:07

+1 for scouting ships from my side as well. But I am afraid this would be another feature hard to implement for the AI face-wink.png

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-14, 16:28

hessenfarmer wrote:

+1 for scouting ships from my side as well. But I am afraid this would be another feature hard to implement for the AI face-wink.png

AI ignores visibility, it can see entire map. But it have no proper pathfinding for a ship if it picks a distant portspace....

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-04-14, 16:53

Another nice addition would be, to load a ship full with soldiers and attack an enemies port.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-15, 07:19

Attacking enemy ports has been on our wishlist for a long long time. We will first need to implement garrisons into warehouses.

Adding a scouting ability to all ships should be fairly easy - we would need to do 2 things:

1. Add a button to turn it into a scout ship so it won't suddenly decide to pick up wares instead, and turn it back into a normal ship
  2. Disable/hide the "build portspace" button.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-15, 19:30

I remember in one game i had military buildings near the front, but the i couldn't see the foreign military buildings. I used an expedition ship to reveal the foreign military buildings and then i was able to attack them face-devilish.png

What about free port spaces in foreign land which are not covered by any military buildings. Should it be allowed to build a port space there, by occupying the foreign land? I guess this makes only sense if expedition ships get some soldiers on board...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-04-15, 19:57

kaputtnik wrote:

What about free port spaces in foreign land which are not covered by any military buildings. Should it be allowed to build a port space there, by occupying the foreign land? I guess this makes only sense if expedition ships get some soldiers on board...

+1

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-16, 00:39

kaputtnik wrote:

This would be one possibility, the other would be that ships can have a conquer radius. Both possibilities have disadvantages. If you can build a port in foreign land, it must be also ignore flags and other objects which block the portspace. Buildings shouldn't be able to block it neither, so buildings must be destroyed by the port or somehow by the soldiers, or whatever.

The other idea - conquer radius of ships - has also some disadvantages: You can conquer a lot of coast with the ship, and the enemy could leave ships to defend the port space. So the attacker must be able to prevent defender's ships from doing that. And if a defender retreats from the coast, the attacker must be able to build the port space much faster than the defender can return.

GunChleoc wrote:

Attacking enemy ports has been on our wishlist for a long long time. We will first need to implement garrisons into warehouses.

Why that first?

Adding a scouting ability to all ships should be fairly easy - we would need to do 2 things:

1. Add a button to turn it into a scout ship so it won't suddenly decide to pick up wares instead, and turn it back into a normal ship

Actually scouting mode could also be a thing for expedition ships, so the button doesn't have to be hidden, probably.

stonerl wrote:

Another nice addition would be, to load a ship full with soldiers and attack an enemies port.

As I mentioned above this is a complicated issue. And it would be good if attacking with ships would be optional - it can also be interesting if attacking is not possible. For example a match on the map "together we are strong" ends in a draw if each player conquers one island.

And maybe it's not even worth to implementing the whole stuff - and the scouting ships neither.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-16, 13:35

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

Why that first?

Because ports are warehouses, and the defender should be able to garrison a defense force there When they become attackable. I think they will be too vulnerable otherwise.

Actually scouting mode could also be a thing for expedition ships, so the button doesn't have to be hidden, probably.

But expedition ships already automatically have scouting possibility, so there is nothing to do here.

This gives me an ida though: Ports could have 2 "start expedition" buttons, one for colonizing, and one that can only scout without colonizing. The player would need 1 port though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote