Latest Posts

Topic: Using syncstreams to debug replays

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-22, 13:41

Syncstreams are only used to debug matches - not replays - right? If so, it could eventually be useful if syncstreams would also be possible to do that, if that wouldn't be too complicated.

I've seen so many critical desynchs in replays, that's why I suggest that.

Edited: 2019-01-22, 13:42

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-22, 17:03

WorldSavior wrote:

Syncstreams are only used to debug matches - not replays - right?

Yes, i think so too.

If so, it could eventually be useful if syncstreams would also be possible to do that, if that wouldn't be too complicated.

I guess solving the desyncs in multiplayer games does also solve the desyncs when watching replays.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-23, 16:03

kaputtnik wrote:

WorldSavior wrote: If so, it could eventually be useful if syncstreams would also be possible to do that, if that wouldn't be too complicated.

I guess solving the desyncs in multiplayer games does also solve the desyncs when watching replays.

That would be good. But I think that I once saw a replay desync in a build19 collectors multiplayer game replay, so maybe not all replay desyncs are related to multiplayer desyncs.

And maybe syncstreams for replays could have some more advantages. For example it's most of the time impossible to watch trunk replays with later trunk versions. I'm not sure if syncstreams could easily fix that, but I wouldn't be that surprised...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-09, 16:29

Notabilis has found at least one issue for some desyncs in replays. The code change to fix that has hit trunk in revision 8970, so further testing can be done ...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-02-10, 10:08

kaputtnik wrote:

Notabilis has found at least one issue for some desyncs in replays. The code change to fix that has hit trunk in revision 8970, so further testing can be done ...

Are the economy numbers assigned by host or each PC individually? If former, then this sounds like replay-only issue. Never the less, Hooray to Notabilis

What about the better syncstreams branch, is it still interesting?

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-10, 12:19

Thanks. face-smile.png

The economy number are for each PC individually, which means that they can also cause desyncs of multiplayer games. For example, if one player takes a short look at the map before starting the multiplayer game, the economy numbers are no longer synchronized which can lead to desyncs if the economy targets are changed later on.

I consider the better syncstreams branch useful and since GunChleoc agrees I am currently preparing it for merge. It will hopefully make it easier to debug desyncs in the future (and also reduces the size of the files to upload).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-11, 07:55

We're now resetting the economy number when a new game starts, so that should fix that particular bug.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-13, 00:22

kaputtnik wrote:

I've tested now a lot of autocrat replays, they all work face-smile.png

Thanks a lot, Notabilis!

I've also tested some multiplayer matches with version 8980 and no desync happened, just some mysterious crash.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-26, 08:57

Has anybody had any desyncs lately with a version higher than rev 8970 (that's where the fix went in)? If not I feel we could close the issue for now and eventually we can proceed to the next phase of b20

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-02-26, 09:54

Nope, I had a multiplayer with 6 participants on Saturday; and over the course of 6 hours we haven't had a single desync.

Top Quote