Latest Posts

Topic: Why does enhancing buildings throw stock away

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 17:17

I just noticed that everytime a building gets enhanced the stock it hold gets thrown away. The only way to make sure that this doesn't happen is to micromanage these buildings. Is this a bug or by design? Here the barbarians coalmine for instance:

Total stock is 12 rations. 6 in the HQ, 6 in the mine.

Coal Mine

After starting the enhancement the 6 from the mine are thrown away and total stock is reduced to the 6 from HQ:

Coal Mine

This is quite punishing for tribes that have many enhanced buildings, especially barbarians (¿aren't they supposed to be an easier tribe?) and frisians, but also empire.

Edited: 2018-09-10, 17:21

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 17:56

Just figured out that dismantling also throws away stock, which kind of defeats the purpose of dismantling in the first place...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 18:15

The reason why the wares are thrown out of the stock is simply that the wares didn't get removed before upgrading/dismantling. So they are lost... Currently micromanaging is the only way to keep them. See this bug for pros and cons and a possible solution.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 18:57

This keeps coming up… face-wink.png

In my opinion, the most logical thing here would be to add all wares that are still in the building on dismantle to the list of wares that will be dropped out by the builder. This wouldn´t work for enhancing though. There are lots of other good suggestions in the bug and the several forum threads…

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 19:26

I like the suggestion #11 in the bug report, it seems that was also kind of the consensus back then. I also saw that there was a thread started a couple of years ago, here in the forum.

As long as nothing is implemented yet, wouldn't it be a good idea to add some text to the dismantle/enhancement dialog?

Like:

Do you really want to enhance/dismantle this building?

All wares in stock are lost, if you don't move them out!

or

Do you really want to enhance/dismantle this building?

All wares stored in this building are lost, if you don't move them out!

Just to let user know that they are going to destroy precious wares. I lost tons of iron when upgrading my barbarians toolsmithy because it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 21:09

Not that long ago we had another discussion about this - I just didn't search it in the forum now.

Nordfriese wrote:

In my opinion, the most logical thing here would be to add all wares that are still in the building on dismantle to the list of wares that will be dropped out by the builder.

That's an elegant idea - just keep in mind that if they are dropped out by the builder in the normal way it takes much more time than putting them out by the worker.

This wouldn´t work for enhancing though.

Maybe it would also work with some additional code change...

stonerl wrote:

As long as nothing is implemented yet, wouldn't it be a good idea to add some text to the dismantle/enhancement dialog?

Like:

``` Do you really want to enhance/dismantle this building?

All wares in stock are lost, if you don't move them out! ```

or

``` Do you really want to enhance/dismantle this building?

All wares stored in this building are lost, if you don't move them out! ```

Just to let user know that they are going to destroy precious wares. I lost tons of iron when upgrading my barbarians toolsmithy because it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Yes, it would be a good idea.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 22:10

it's one of the many things that are in the to-do list.

But yes, just adding a message may at least be a quick fix to warn new players

Top Quote