Latest Posts

Topic: Increasing number of "Latest Posts"?

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-03, 00:49

I would suggest to increase that number, because it can obiviously happen that there are more than 5 discussions at the same time, so sometimes one has to search a lot. Maybe there should be no limit at all, but a feature which hides the "Latest Posts" if they are older than a week (or another stretch of time) - but not the five (or more) latest posts?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-09-03, 07:00

There is a simpler solution: Add a "see more" link which opens a full page with all the latest posts. It can be either a prefilled search-page or an unlimited version of the existing query.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-03, 08:14

There was a time when not so many new posts were postet face-smile.png

I think having an extra page would be fine, but since i am working on Tabbed pages to get more space on the right side, lets try it first with increasing the number after the tabbed pages are in. In the mean time you could also use forums overviews to see which forum/thread have new posts.

I will create a new bug this evening to not forget that.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-07, 15:21

Ok

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-07, 15:57

I use the forum workaround sometimes, but since I can't stick to all discussions, I would like to have a "mark all unread messages as read ones". Then I can open only threads I want to read and the rest should be cleared.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 10:05

einstein13 wrote:

I use the forum workaround sometimes, but since I can't stick to all discussions, I would like to have a "mark all unread messages as read ones". Then I can open only threads I want to read and the rest should be cleared.

See bug

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 22:00

I would find it more easy if the forum had notifications for new replies to the discussions where i posted. I know I can set it to send me email notifications, but I'd rather keep my email for official stuff. And i'd rather not have to open it all the time.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 21:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I would find it more easy if the forum had notifications for new replies to the discussions where i posted.

Where would you like to see the notifications?

I know I can set it to send me email notifications, but I'd rather keep my email for official stuff. And i'd rather not have to open it all the time.

I think every email provider has abilities to create more than one email address. I am using also an extra email for all stuff which is not official.

I have increased the latest Post box to show 8 latest posts instead of 5. But i think the solution proposed by ypopezius is better-> bug report.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-10, 22:09

kaputtnik wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I would find it more easy if the forum had notifications for new replies to the discussions where i posted.

Where would you like to see the notifications?

On the top right square, where i have my profile. There is already a "notification" there, but it is only the setting for which notifications you want sent to your email. Well, nnotifications coould be just there: it could look like "notifications (2)", and if you click on it it shows the notifications. or you could have the notifications sent by pm.

the best way I found to deal with notification is the one implemented on the 17th shard forum, the official forum for writer brandon sanderson's fanbase. there you could even see your new notifications by howering over it.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-11, 08:45

king_of_nowhere wrote:

On the top right square, where i have my profile. There is already a "notification" there, but it is only the setting for which notifications you want sent to your email. Well, nnotifications coould be just there: it could look like "notifications (2)", and if you click on it it shows the notifications.

That needs saving the the notifications, which we have removed because the notifications spammed our database. And that happened because nobody deleted his notifications.

or you could have the notifications sent by pm.

That should be doable. It should be an option then to make it configurable for the user. But i fear we will then have the same flood of pms as we had with the notifications face-plain.png . Of course we can do an automated cleanup, e.g. every notification older than 8 weeks will be deleted. But in my opinion the pms are some kind of private user data and i think we shouldn't remove them automatically.

Top Quote