Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: streams?

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-31, 22:18

I'm working on my latest mountain map (something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but put aside out of lazyness for almost one year) and I realized the map would look much better with streams.

Sure, you can add water one tile large, but that's kinda large. I'm considering something much smaller. It doesn't have to have any impact on the game, it would just be there for the aesthetics. I considered an immovable object that just has the graphic of a stream, but I realized it won't work; immovables are either unpassable, or they are deleted when you build over it. It would be something different, although standing there and providing a graphical object is the purpose, so an immovable would be a good starting point.

Is there any designer who wants to spend the time to do it?

Bonus points if roads span bridges when crossing streams. This also would be purely aesthetical

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-01, 10:40

There is a bug report open for implementing rivers (and waterfalls). See comment 3 for the difficulties. See also Help terrains for an explanantion how immovables are set.

I would really like to see such a thing in widelands face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-01, 18:25

I would enjoy working on this, but I already have too many unfinished projects for Widelands at this time. So, somebody else will have to take it up.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
dreieck
Version: -git
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-09-02, 15:02

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I'm working on my latest mountain map (something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but put aside out of lazyness for almost one year) and I realized the map would look much better with streams.

Sure, you can add water one tile large, but that's kinda large. I'm considering something much smaller. It doesn't have to have any impact on the game, it would just be there for the aesthetics. I considered an immovable object that just has the graphic of a stream, but I realized it won't work; immovables are either unpassable, or they are deleted when you build over it. It would be something different, although standing there and providing a graphical object is the purpose, so an immovable would be a good starting point.

Is there any designer who wants to spend the time to do it?

Bonus points if roads span bridges when crossing streams. This also would be purely aesthetical

So the streams will run on the edges or centre of a field?

If on the edges, what should happen if you build a road parallel to the stream? If on the centre: What would happen if you build a building on the stream? Or plant something? Etc.?

Yes, esthetically it would be nice.

Edited: 2018-09-02, 15:03

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-03, 00:27

dreieck wrote:

If on the edges, what should happen if you build a road parallel to the stream? Yes, esthetically it would be nice.

You know, I spent a lot of time considering roads crossing the stream, but never roads going above it. I'm an idiot face-smile.png

Perhaps it could be doable by putting roads in the middle of the stream, and adding some sort of stilts to buildings that are made over it. But seems complicated graphically, even if the stilts are the same for all buildings.

Probably simpler solution would be to have the road covver the stream, and possibly hint that the stream now runs in a pipe underground. But yeah, complicated.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-03, 07:58

What i was thinking about some time ago: Having an editor category "Terrain enhancements" which can be used to add some graphical niceties like puddles or small snowfields. A map designer can use them for example to create a softer transition between snowy terrain and grass. I didn't thought much about such a category, because it means adding an additional graphical concept with much effort on programming. The main idea is:

Terrain enhancements are like terrains, placing them is exactly like placing terrains so they are painted not at edges but on the triangles. The main difference would be that they are drawn on top of a terrain, instead of replacing it. They can have transparency, so some parts of the "terrain enhancement tiles" let the underlying terrain shine through. The enhancements tiles may get some of the properties of immovables, so we can have terrain enhancements which reveal if a building is build, or if a farmer plants a field, other tiles just remain as they are.

So in short: Terrain enhancements are something between immovables and terrains, but i think it could be used to place rivers. But the idea is not considered much face-grin.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote